• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

YouTube and it's benefits

2. If I had to do it all over again, I would have a YouTube Channel branded to yourself as a sales person, versus posting them all on a dealerships. When I first started doing video-Sunset Honda didn't have a gmail, youtube, facebook or twitter. Since leaving the company-I lost all rights to my videos-including the unlisted ones. I unfortunately don't have "hard copies" of many of them so lost a lot of my work.

Elise,

I have been a sales person and and owner, so two sides to this.

If you only get paid commission, so you do the videos on your own effort-time-investemnt, I would say I agree with you on building something that you can use in the future as you move into other things.

If the dealer pays you some sort of salary, they buy the computer, camera, etc, I would understand that the dealer considers this to be their property and that they want this on their own Youtube account, etc.

Reactions: 1 person
ELISE!!! Thanks for replying - I know we've spoken via Twitter Messages and I greatly appreciate your Feedback as a pioneer in the YouTube world for Auto Dealerships.

I think creating a separate YouTube channel for each of the Internet Sales Managers we have and getting them to tag the Dealership would be great. This way they can build themselves as a brand / experience but still provide benefits to the Dealership.

Elise,

I have been a sales person and and owner, so two sides to this.

If you only get paid commission, so you do the videos on your own effort-time-investemnt, I would say I agree with you on building something that you can use in the future as you move into other things.

If the dealer pays you some sort of salary, they buy the computer, camera, etc, I would understand that the dealer considers this to be their property and that they want this on their own Youtube account, etc.

I understand both sides to it as well. The time spent, equipment, editing software and computer was on my own dime. I looked at it as an investment into my sales process-creating a personalized experience for the customer is something not a lot of people are willing to do. Or, some people simply don't know how to do it. I spent days doing research, filming my own videos, editing them at home, creating the templates and graphics.

I've had the WalkAround Video product in 2 stores for a while now and it works well, has been very reliable and service with John has been prompt. The learning curve is short as well. It works seamlessly on iPhone, haven't tried it on Android but also not complaints from other members. The feedback is always positive, "no one else did that".

One on my current projects is to add more video to all aspects of the web experience.

Bill

I've had the WalkAround Video product in 2 stores for a while now and it works well, has been very reliable and service with John has been prompt. The learning curve is short as well. It works seamlessly on iPhone, haven't tried it on Android but also not complaints from other members. The feedback is always positive, "no one else did that".

One on my current projects is to add more video to all aspects of the web experience.

Bill

Agreed! Use video as part of your process. PROCESS TRUMPS ALL

I created my own YouTube channel to kind of copy Elise Kephart and Robert Wiesman but also do things a little on my own and I had a great response from it. Customers loved the videos and got the feeling they could trust me for the effort I put in to earn their business.

Now I no longer sell cars but I have the YouTube channel still and am working on a way to continue doing it while building an audience. My issue is getting other Sales People into using video to help sell more vehicles and market themselves. Seems to be soooooo daunting to get anyone to even consider the idea of working....

Personally, I didn't believe in videos at all. We used photo-slideshow-generated videos on all vehicles and view counts were low.
As an experiment we flipped 3 stores to actual YouTube videos with no voice over, just an actual HD video of the car.

Google reported an increase of 450% in video interaction and YouTube recorded over 100 views on some of the videos (vehicles on the lot for less than 60 days). I was personally blown away, but have not drawn many conclusions yet as to why the sudden change, other than the fact that the videos were high quality and simply showed every corner of the vehicle.

I recently did our first walk around video. Just on a general vehicle. Not for a specific customer. The video turned out pretty good, and its had a lot of views. Unfortunately the car is still here. I've done a couple other personal videos for customers and I've got a great response. I think it will make a difference especially for our out of state customer base.
http://youtu.be/sFNlLEjOCuM