• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

ZMOT is the Stupidest, Most Brilliant Idea Ever!

Ed,

Google's ThinkAuto conference on ZMOT introduced me to John Ross, CEO of Shopper Sciences. There are few people who's words & observations Rock my foundation and throw my work into hyper-drive. IMO, John Ross is to ZMOT, as Dale Pollack is to the Used Car Industry. Were talking rare, world class talent.

Simply put... Of all of the "touch points" A shopper makes in their journey, none influence the final decision more than the visit to the dealership.

...Granted, if your stimulus and ZMOT blows, you'll never see the up, but, from my seat, visibility is a separate marketing task. Once visibility is in place, My John Ross/ZMOT lesson is that if the visit to the dealership is the consumers strongest influencer, then all ZMOT content needs to put all of my shoppers "un-answered worries" to rest (is the sales rep pushy, is the dealer reputable, will the manager be there for me if the car I buy is a junker, what's the warranty, if my credit is fair, will they screw me... Etc)
Thanks so much Joe. Your post caused me to go back and rewatch the video you shared (below).

As you noted John Ross starts at 1:06:00

I absolutely agree the store visit is the absolute most important step in gaining a sale. FMOT trumps ZMOT every time. But again, with shoppers visiting fewer and fewer stores, and only after doing extensive online shopping, your ZMOT game had better be a whole lot better than "not blows". Without a good ZMOT game you'll never have your FMOT opportunity with that customer.

My big John Ross take away was at the end of his presentation at about 1:52:00. Where he talks about how the manipulation of the shopper doesn't work the way it used to. That we need to let the customer have the control they seek. This quote drove it home. "He who rewards me with the information I need, that makes me feel smarter, better, faster - that's gonna earn my dollars."

...I absolutely agree the store visit is the absolute most important step in gaining a sale. FMOT trumps ZMOT every time. But again, with shoppers visiting fewer and fewer stores, and only after doing extensive online shopping, your ZMOT game had better be a whole lot better than "not blows". Without a good ZMOT game you'll never have your FMOT opportunity with that customer.

My big John Ross take away was at the end of his presentation at about 1:52:00. Where he talks about how the manipulation of the shopper doesn't work the way it used to. That we need to let the customer have the control they seek. This quote drove it home. "He who rewards me with the information I need, that makes me feel smarter, better, faster - that's gonna earn my dollars."

Ed, Here's how I see it...

ZMOT has 2 tasks.
There is the ZMOT VISIBILITY task, then there is the ZMOT MESSAGE. If no ZMOT visibility, then all else fails.

Once you conquer ZMOT visibility (Local SEO, inventory distribution, vAuto, PPC, Retargeting, Microsites (SEO), etc...), Then you need to win the ZMOT message game.

Here's the Commitment a Dealer must make to create a GREAT ZMOT MESSAGE
  1. Strikingly Great Photos
  2. Vehicle Comments that sell the car
  3. FMOT Comments that address shoppers fears
  4. A real Video walk around that nails all of the above!
  5. Lastly, but often overlooked, a full and complete record of all of the options & details
This will leverage the ZMOT visibility investment and produce show room ups.

This is my battle plan for 2012.
  1. Photo Booth Upgrade underway
  2. Vehicle Comment Generator is acceptable (but has room for improvement)
  3. Need to work on FMOT comments/content
  4. My new walk-around Videographer is in training now
  5. Our options data peeps are as good as it gets!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
ZMOT has 2 tasks.
There is the ZMOT VISIBILITY task, then there is the ZMOT MESSAGE. If no ZMOT visibility, then all else fails.

Once you conquer ZMOT visibility (Local SEO, inventory distribution, vAuto, PPC, Retargeting, Microsites (SEO), etc...), Then you need to win the ZMOT message game.

Here's the Commitment a Dealer must make to create a GREAT ZMOT MESSAGE (i.e. leverage the ZMOT visibility investment and produce show room ups).
  1. Strikingly Great Photos
  2. Vehicle Comments that sell the car
  3. FMOT Comments that address shoppers fears
  4. A real Video walk around that nails all of the above!
  5. Lastly, but often overlooked, a full and complete record of all of the options & details
This is my battle plan for 2012.
  1. Photo Booth Upgrade underway
  2. Vehicle Comment Generator is acceptable (but has room for improvement)
  3. Need to work on FMOT comments/content
  4. My new walk-around Videographer is in training now
  5. Our options data peeps are as good as it gets!
This certainly follows the proven marketing strategy of Awareness > Perception > Purchase Intent > Sale

One thing that I see possibly missing (but might be left to the stores) is a strategy to encourage reviews.

It looks like Cobalt is now climbing on the ZMOT horse.

And a blog posting: Google and Cobalt Partner on New Car Shopper Experience Video

...and the foundation remains the 3-step process people use to buy soap powder.

I cannot got over how simple the ZMOT/FMOT/SMOT concept is and how mangled everyone makes it.

Well... it's these same "Rainbow and Unicorn" minds that thought putting your inventory on facebook was brilliant marketing and was gonna sell a lot of cars.

ZMOT is nothing new, its the message inside that everyone misses.

whatever.
let 'em flop around like a fish on a dock.

Reactions: 2 people
Was this thread bumped because of the google webinar that was today that talked about this subject?
I didn't even realize there was a webinar today. I got into a discussion on twitter with VJ (Volker Jaeckel) and Jim Lecinski today. I reiterated my thoughts from this post and thought I'd let the community know that Google along with Cobalt and ADP were back putting a push on ZMOT with a new emphasis on automotive.

I liked the webinar and thought it was well worth my time and the $99. We had 3 people watch the presentation. I am fortunate because my company is on the ball when it comes to google. We are going to hire someone who is google certified and can handle all of our google needs with 64 dealerships.

If I was a salesperson on the floor, this webinar could be a game changer for many who view their sales position as a business. I would be all over google +1.

Reactions: 1 person
ZMOT does have it's place Ed and even comes down to a customer clicking on a vehicle due to it being competitively priced. Then they research not only the vehicle, but the dealership. Where the rubber hits the road is when the customer comes into the dealership and they experience their FMOT. If ZMOT (online marketing and reviews) suck, then, you will never have FMOT.

Reactions: 1 person
ZMOT does have it's place Ed and even comes down to a customer clicking on a vehicle due to it being competitively priced. Then they research not only the vehicle, but the dealership. Where the rubber hits the road is when the customer comes into the dealership and they experience their FMOT. If ZMOT (online marketing and reviews) suck, then, you will never have FMOT.
Jim, I absolutely agree with you that there is an extensive period of time when most customers are conducting research on both the car and the dealership. If you choose to call that "Information Search" and "Alternative Evaluation" process the ZMOT, more power to you Brother!

I'm simply pointing out the fact that this consumer behavior has been recognized for decades and contend that you're best served by referring back to a long-proven marketing process: Gaining Awareness (they have to know you exist), improving Perception (thru branding, reviews, having the right car at the right price, etc.), increasing Purchase Intent (you need to make their 'consideration set' and move to the top of it). The marriage of the ZMOT concept to these proven techniques is a powerful combination.

And lastly, I completely agree with both you and Joe, that the car is sold on the lot with a great dealership experience. And you are absolutely correct that if you haven't 'won' the "Information Search" and "Alternative Evaluation" stages, in today's marketplace where customers only physically visit one or two dealerships before purchasing a car, you won't get the chance to sell a car.

Reactions: 2 people