• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

QR Codes - In or Out?

Based on that email exchange, I don't think Cars.com even knows where to begin with that funny looking chess board thingy.

I think the way you put the QR code right in the photo feed is pretty cool. Hopefully we'll see QR codes continue to gain consumer acceptance.

LOL

I understand that this may get a customer out of Cars.com and they cant quantify the lead, but the approach should be that they should also offer a QR.

I see a QR being effective here for the customer as it makes it easier to grab and carry information from a website without having to print anything physical, or to kill less trees.

LOL

I understand that this may get a customer out of Cars.com and they cant quantify the lead, but the approach should be that they should also offer a QR.
I'd bet money that you are 100% correct Yago, they see your QR code as 'breaking tracking'. They obviously don't think the QR is the best way to transfer to mobile and prefer the two prominent, above the fold methods they already have in place.

Yago.png

I'd bet money that you are 100% correct Yago, they see your QR code as 'breaking tracking'. They obviously don't think the QR is the best way to transfer to mobile and prefer the two prominent, above the fold methods they already have in place.

View attachment 723

Funny thing is that about a month ago we built a tool that aloows dealers in our inventory system to have a different overlay PER FEED. Autotrader guys got this right away so they built overlays for some dealers and emailed them to us so they can get count for all the calls.

Cars.com sent us 0 so far...

Yago - I can see how Cars.com would take a stance on this. It does come across as more of an ad for your service. Heck - It's basically breaking our own DealerRefresh rules for self promoting and advertising within the forums.

I know you like to use examples of what you do for other dealers but it's always bordering breaking the rules. You might want to give this some more thought.

All:

Nick Hummer, Solutions Director for Cars.com chiming in here. In the interests of transparency, we haven't removed any QR Code images from Cars.com. I'll admit I have some concerns about this implementation of QR codes, and as Ed from vAuto has pointed out we would much prefer that shoppers utilize one of the many other ways of sharing vehicles on each VDP: Send to Phone, Save Ad, Print or Share via Email, Facebook or Twitter. Yes, this lets us track usage of these links, but it also enables us to provide consistency to the experience.

All that being said: Yago - I'd be happy to talk about your QR code implementation. While my preference remains that site users stick to our standard contact methods, we can certainly talk about ways to streamline the QR experience so dealers and shoppers get the best experience on Cars.com. This is also the first I’ve heard about the graphical overlays – would definitely like to hear more here.

Thanks,

Nick
[email protected]
312-601-6004

Out, not enough people use them or understand them. Plenty of studies out there that say the same thing.. Great idea nonetheless but effective and popular? Not as much as we'd like to think.

I got a problem tossing them at this stage. First, some "studies" show that their usage recently could be up as much as 500% (still from 1% to 5% -but up 500%!). The main users look to be males 18 to 34 yrs old with an income over 100K that scan from print or product literature. Don't they buy cars? Really? Out?

Who hasn't seen a dealership change phone systems, CRM software, a DMS, lot lighting, signage, management, restroom wall colors and just about everything else with the simple justification of "what if this ________ sold just one more car each month for the dealership?". These might too.

The cost is low, their usage is on the rise and if your competition thinks they are "Out" -that's even a little better.

"In" for me.

QR.jpg

QR codes can be used for much more than just pointing someone to a site/page. Not sure if anyone has tried this yet, but MailChimp has an iPhone app that can track coupon use.

So, basically you can create an oil change coupon for an email adding a unique QR code for each person on your list (this happens dynamically within MailChimp). Whenever someone brings in a coupon; either printed or on their phone the iPhone app can scan it and complete the loop. So now you can go back to your email list and segment based on those that have used your coupons in the past. Not to mention the A/B testing abilities that make it possible to work on conversion rates.

This type of use for QR codes doesn't require any tech knowledge from your clients and can be huge for parts and service business.

Here is a link to mailchimp: How do I use the QR code merge tag to send a coupon? (PYOW!) | MailChimp.com

OK. Got to chime-in. I've been talking and watching and discussing QR for what, like 2 years now?

I have ONE question:

Where the frig are they????

I mean seriously, they are NOWHERE!

Actually, that's not entirely true. Know where I saw one? On a US AIR magazine between Wilkes-Barre and Philly. Yep -- right there next to the old barf-bag. But it was a really cool barf bag.

They CAN BE and they COULD BE and they SHOULD BE and the MIGHT BE but c'mon -- they AREN'T!

OK. That's just me. If the next 10 guys or gals who post say they ran across a QR in the last 10 days, then great (I won't believe them), but I'm saying this: if a GOLDEN TREE falls in the GOLDEN FOREST and the GOLDEN ACCOUNTANT does not hear it, does it make CENTS?? :)