• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

QR Codes - In or Out?

I see a QR being effective here for the customer as it makes it easier to grab and carry information from a website without having to print anything physical, or to kill less trees.

Really? Or to quote our leader Kershner, REALLY??? A person is going to hold his/her smartphone scanner to his/her screen and snap that picture INSTEAD of hitting that 'Send to Mobile" button?

Come on!!! Let's get practical here... it's fun to play with gizmos and widgets, but water flows the path of least resistance EVERY time.

QR=path of least resistance? Not today.

Really? Or to quote our leader Kershner, REALLY??? A person is going to hold his/her smartphone scanner to his/her screen and snap that picture INSTEAD of hitting that 'Send to Mobile" button?

Come on!!! Let's get practical here... it's fun to play with gizmos and widgets, but water flows the path of least resistance EVERY time.

QR=path of least resistance? Not today.

You are 100% correct, it is much easier for me to type in a url than to open up a QR scanner, wait until it is ready, point it and wait again. The fact that a QR code can contain so much data opens up opportunities well beyond just a link to "something".

If you are a dealer that is committed to using QR codes you can "train" your clients to use them.

Start with an email blast give away. Everyone has a QR code in their email that they have to bring to the dealership to have it scanned (ala direct mail of 15 years ago). Because their name and all information is in the QR code you can track who shows up, whether they are already a client etc.
Have them scan a "random" QR code where they have the opportunity to win a [insert prize here]. Everyone is a winner with a 50% off oil change that is a... guess what coupon with QR code.

The bottom line is that if you wait for your customers to point their phones to a checker box on a wall it isn't going to happen. Control the experience, get valuable marketing information and if possible make it fun for your clients.

QR codes aren't for every dealer, but to discount them based on the same argument that nobody uses them is a poor excuse and a waste of a potentially powerful tool.

I'm sorry, Mike. This still make no sense to me. Why would you want to "train" your clients to do this? It's an unnecessary step in all of your examples.

Start with an email blast give away. Everyone has a QR code in their email that they have to bring to the dealership to have it scanned (ala direct mail of 15 years ago). Because their name and all information is in the QR code you can track who shows up, whether they are already a client etc.

Mike, if someone opens an email I send them, I already know it. I don't need QR to tell me that. So why add an extra layer to, "Redeem at the Dealership for a $25 Target Gift Card? Hook Logic does that for me every day.

Have them scan a "random" QR code where they have the opportunity to win a [insert prize here]. Everyone is a winner with a 50% off oil change that is a... guess what coupon with QR code.

Where?? Traditional advertising to grow the database? (See "Why Not" below). Why do this to your own database??

QR codes aren't for every dealer, but to discount them based on the same argument that nobody uses them is a poor excuse and a waste of a potentially powerful tool.

Are you kidding? That's EXACTLY the reason not to use them! NO ONE USES THEM. I'd LOVE to advertise using the app my next door neighbor's kid invented yesterday. Why don't I? Um..... hahaha... come on! If a tree falls in the forest, and no one is around it hear it, does it make a sound??

Sure it's cool, and fun, and maybe you can even argue "hip." But here's the simple test: tomorrow, every QR code in the world costs $20.

How much discussion does this genre generate now? Zero. As in $0.

But lemme edit this and ease-up on the tone a bit.

If there IS a practical reason to use this technology (in the dealership), it really hasn't yet been discussed. I personally am not PRO or CON anything, but in this particular instance, I've not yet seen an arguable position given today's elite marketing strategies and synergies. I'd LOVE for a marketer to present a value proposition that hasn't yet been discussed given this relatively old technology.

Mike, if someone opens an email I send them, I already know it. I don't need QR to tell me that. So why add an extra layer to, "Redeem at the Dealership for a $25 Target Gift Card? Hook Logic does that for me every day.

I don't want to know if they opened their email I want to know if they showed up. Sure you can check a box on a list or write their name down, but then you have to update your list to reflect that information. With a QR code you can do it all in one step, and instead of wasting time asking them their name ask them what they are driving or what their cell phone # is. Make it an opportunity to strengthen your list, not just use it.

Sure it's cool, and fun, and maybe you can even argue "hip." But here's the simple test: tomorrow, every QR code in the world costs $20.

This is exactly why QR codes are growing in use... there free.

I see this as the same argument around social media. It is only a tool, and as all tools go they are only as good as the people using them. John, I don't think that our stances are that far apart as I agree that QR codes are worthless in the way that they are currently being used.

At the same time marketing can alway be made better with more complete information about your clients buying habits, and QR codes when used right can get you that information. With the MailChimp example you could get to the point of sending coupons prior to your customers next service(s). Keeping them from straying off to other dealerships or independents. Then there are potentially other patterns in service and car buying habits that you may come across if you use QR codes to complete the loop from marketing to purchase.

Currently around 6% of smart phone users scan QR codes every month. Even if that percentage stays the same and smart phone use continues to grow then that is a significant number. The reality is more people are using QR codes all the time and with a little creativity there will be marketing successes with QR codes in the automotive space.

OK. Got to chime-in. I've been talking and watching and discussing QR for what, like 2 years now?

I have ONE question:

Where the frig are they????

I mean seriously, they are NOWHERE!

Actually, that's not entirely true. Know where I saw one? On a US AIR magazine between Wilkes-Barre and Philly. Yep -- right there next to the old barf-bag. But it was a really cool barf bag.

They CAN BE and they COULD BE and they SHOULD BE and the MIGHT BE but c'mon -- they AREN'T!

OK. That's just me. If the next 10 guys or gals who post say they ran across a QR in the last 10 days, then great (I won't believe them), but I'm saying this: if a GOLDEN TREE falls in the GOLDEN FOREST and the GOLDEN ACCOUNTANT does not hear it, does it make CENTS?? :)

QR codes now appear on every product in Best Buy stores, the number one electronics retailer in America.
They appear on the window sticker of the 2012 F-150, the number one selling truck in America.
They appear on bottles of Heinz Ketchup, the number one Ketchup in America.
They also appear the new packaging from Budweiser for their 12 packs, the number one beer in America.
These 4 alone must account for millions of impressions on consumers. Saying aren't around is just not true!

Now discussing if they are being used well or effectively is another topic and one worth discussing. QR codes are free so what is the downside?

QR codes now appear on every product in Best Buy stores, the number one electronics retailer in America.
They appear on the window sticker of the 2012 F-150, the number one selling truck in America.
They appear on bottles of Heinz Ketchup, the number one Ketchup in America.
They also appear the new packaging from Budweiser for their 12 packs, the number one beer in America.
These 4 alone must account for millions of impressions on consumers. Saying aren't around is just not true!

Now discussing if they are being used well or effectively is another topic and one worth discussing. QR codes are free so what is the downside?

Are they? That certainly is interesting. I was just in Best Buy, purchased a Bose docking station -- actually bought a few things. Didn't notice a QR code though. But I do believe you -- I could very well just be missing them.

Between me & Uncle Joe, we've had QR on thousands of vehicles' window stickers. So when I'm saying "No One Uses Them," I'm talking consumers, as in "No One Scans QR Codes." Us marketers keep playing because they are free, but at least in automotive, customers are certainly NOT scanning QR's in window stickers. At least in the Northeast.

I don't know why the results would be different for beer or ketchup, but I would really love to see some results there, huh?

Thanks for the info -- please let us know if you see QR on other products!

The only people that seem to be pro QR code are the guys selling QR code campaigns...

No argument there, ask the guys who sell CRM systems if the salesmen will use it without complaint and the guys selling social media if they will make a unicorn appear. You can guess the answer.

Since huge companies like Budweiser, Ford Motor Company etc are on board it seems strange to be against qr codes. I would think more of a I tried it and it worked or did not work for me attitude makes sense.

Reactions: 1 person
@Jquinn- QR on thousands of vehicles' window stickers.

You should try putting them in your photo feed. Way more people visit your cars online than on your lot and if they are on you lot so by the law of large numbers you will see your scans go up.
If your website has a "send to phone" feature that is awesome but not all of them do. If you put a QR code in your photo feed you ensure that no matter where your car is displayed online a customer can transfer it to their phone.
As a gen Y guy myself I believe that engaging customer on their phone is very important. I don't care if that is with text, near field communication, augmented reality, send to phone or QR codes but I want to get my inventory on the the shoppers smartphone when they leave the house to buy.

@Jquinn- QR on thousands of vehicles' window stickers.<br><br>You should try putting them in your photo feed. Way more people visit your cars online than on your lot and if they are on you lot so by the law of large numbers you will see your scans go up. <br>If your website has a "send to phone" feature that is awesome but not all of them do. If you put a QR code in your photo feed you ensure that no matter where your car is displayed online a customer can transfer it to their phone. <br>As a gen Y guy myself I believe that engaging customer on their phone is very important. I don't care if that is with text, near field communication, augmented reality, send to phone or QR codes but I want to get my inventory on the the shoppers smartphone when they leave the house to buy.