• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

QR Codes - In or Out?

...And even with all this - the return in people signing up is extremely disappointing thus far. Im not going to give up, because I want it to work for some reason. I want it to be successful. The just is still out and I'll be sure to update you as I progress forward with this. Maybe I should start a new thread for this.

My $0.02
Texting is Social
FB is Social

Concerts are social. Nightclubs, cafe's and Dart Leagues are social. Social = opportunity to meet peers.

Car Dealer = Social?
You need a BIG a** WIFM to make people cross this bridge (i.e. give a way a free car)

Consumers want advertising pushed through text messaging as much as they want commercial interruptions on their iPods. It's not something that's going to generally stick. But as you say, it's just one more channel and signal to help reach your target, and every little bit helps.

QR codes are a great idea that's been very slow to adopt. If it does stick, it's going to have to go through a couple of generations of evolution to catch on.

I appreciate your response guys, That's interesting, there are many case studies in USA that showed some great results with text message. I agree, QR and text in combination is a better solution. Yes, it is another call to action and it will take time for people to start using this service. My prediction is, soon consumer will look for this service on every lot. I drive with a For sale sign on my car including text number and I get hits every day. Don't give up, just in last year, adults age 45-54 increased their text message usage by 75%, My dad just learned how to text. It will take time, but it will work. it also depend on the platform you are using, how memorable the numbers are, the signage and the follow up techniques. I'd love to hear more about your experiences and how you implemented text campaigns. Thank you so much

Consumers want advertising pushed through text messaging as much as they want commercial interruptions on their iPods. It's not something that's going to generally stick. But as you say, it's just one more channel and signal to help reach your target, and every little bit helps.

QR codes are a great idea that's been very slow to adopt. If it does stick, it's going to have to go through a couple of generations of evolution to catch on.

David, I don't think it's fair to assume this for everyone. I was just in Pizza Hut a few weeks ago and I willingly signed up for their text specials. I usually receive a welcomed money savings text special every thursday or friday.

This is a welcomed text. It keeps PizzaHut top of mind and I don't mind the extra incentive before the weekend. I can even place my order via text.

Once a week, maybe twice a week - I'll take it. Three or more text messages a week would most likely cause me to opt out. Unless the offers were so compelling I'd suffer through it for the txt specials that were relevant and more timely to my purchase.

Consider:
I like Pizza Hut.
Pizza Hut sells Pizza that I like.
I might consider a Pizza from Pizza Hut once a month (maybe twice).
The text Messages are specials on Pizza

This is why I was torn when setting up my text campaign for the dealership. Do I have one campaign for service and one for sales, to keep the message as relevant as possible? But what a pain in the ass to have to manage 2 campaigns. Plus, confusion for the consumer.

I settled with one campaign for sales and service to start.

I feel like we are taking this thread a little off topic talking about text rather QR. I'm considering on starting a new thread tracking my progress implementing a texting service and campaign for my Nissan dealer. Might be fun.

Reactions: 1 person
So while I was enjoying a nice lunch at the friendly Waffle House just up the block*, a new wrinkle in the QR story came across my Google Reader feed...

EPA, DOT unveil updated window stickers [w/video] — Autoblog

I'd pay a dollar to see how many scans that QR code gets.

*If you're ever coming down I-77 near where it runs into I-26, I will vouch for the Waffle House on Garners Ferry (exit 9-A) right by our dealership. Tell 'em Billfred sent you. (And they're not even paying me to say that!)

EPA, DOT unveil updated window stickers [w/video] — Autoblog

I'd pay a dollar to see how many scans that QR code gets.

One could now make the argument that any inclusion of QR codes on window stickers can only link to the EPA website as *potential* consumer conditioning would be to expect that. Brilliant move on the EPA's part. Even if nobody ever scans the codes, it isn't like a lot of money was spent on these.....well, hold on there Alex, this is a government program.

One could now make the argument that any inclusion of QR codes on window stickers can only link to the EPA website as *potential* consumer conditioning would be to expect that. Brilliant move on the EPA's part. Even if nobody ever scans the codes, it isn't like a lot of money was spent on these.....well, hold on there Alex, this is a government program.
In reply to the first sentence: I see where you're coming from...but I don't know if the EPA is the group that'll mark The Day QR Codes Got Big, at least by technological standards. (Oprah and Twitter was my classic example...might be time to update that.)

In reply to the last sentence: $1 to generate the code, $2,815,999 to know where to place it. :D

Billfred - I was simply referring to the use of QR Codes on window stickers. Not saying you can't do it, but IF QR codes catch on, and IF consumers grow accustomed to being led from a QR code on a window sticker to a page on the EPA's website, then you might not fulfill your consumer's expectations in this area.

And to you second point :lol:

As an experiment, I used a QR code at a luncheon for people who are supposed to be marketing and technology pros, and many didn't know what to do with with it. It created conversation though ... I think that there's limited value until consumers decide to adopt. But at least it's cheap enough to experiment with.