• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What Defines A Successful Automotive Social Media Strategy

I was asked to share my thoughts, which I originally posted on Twitter @CassieLee_89.

#1 Actually create a strategy
#2 Integrate it within a larger PR/Marketing/Adv Strategy
#3 Be Patient ...

Outside of this very simplified answer to the initial question, I've seen a few points made in these prior posts that I want to address:

- @JoePistell - You said "Answer this riddle: If a car shopper doesn't use Social Media to buy a home, a car, find an electrician, a landscaper, a jeweler, or anything related to commerce... Then why does Social Media get so much "face time"?" Shoppers do use SM to buy all of the above - Do your research! First & foremost example: JCPenney. They recently launched a full blown e-commerce app on their facebook page, where shoppers can purchase items right within Facebook. Check it out. There are others and I'll promise you that there will be more soon. I'd also like to agree with the man that said although not everyone wants to interact with large companies in social networking sites, they do look for the approval and suggestions of their friends. Hence the birth of Yelp, Google Places, Gowalla, Foursquare, FB Places, Google Pots .... And the integration of social signals into Google's and Bing's search algorithms should tell you that consumers want to shop socially, even if consumers aren't aware of it yet. How often do you see people shopping alone? Especially for cars. It's rare - Why? They want approval and affirmation from the people they trust.

- @David Moon - Social Media is NOT just an advertising medium. This is critical. It's a "tool" for PR, Advertising, Marketing, HR, Customer Service, Sales.

- @BrianPasch - I don't believe that the SM strategies of Ford and the other brands can be considered comparable to dealers. Brands and dealers differ in size, culture, organization, product, reach, and of goals. Naturally, this means that their marketing strategies should not be identical. Dealers should create their own unique PR/marketing strategies that align with the organizations. It's always a good idea to watch what the brands do, borrow their "best" ideas, but don't copy them.

- Social Media CAN be measured; there are ROI metrics ... but that shouldn't be the focus. As I said in my first response, while developing a social media strategy, patience is key. Most of all, social media, is PR. Is there are ROI for PR? Not really, at least with social media you can measure website traffic, CTR, reach, and interaction. And more...

- @MBMotorSports - I absolutely agree with your take on SM as a referral machine. And also that you don't "sell" on social media, that's not what it's about.

All of this is said without mention that SM (wake up - this does not just mean FB!) is absolutely critical to any SEO strategy. Without an SEO strategy, your website is only going to be found by those who wanted to find you, which means you're not expanding your shopper pool. Isn't that the point in marketing/advertising? To reach people you wouldn't otherwise reach ...

Reactions: 1 person
Someone.. anyone, give me a budget for Social Media and compare that $spend$ against my digital marketing suggestions and it won't be a fair fight.

That's because:

1. You, Joe, know what you're doing in digital marketing
2. You've got too much to mess with before jumping into social media
3. You can't flip a switch and say "I'm here" with social media

The big thing is that people don't like car dealers, they don't like to hear about cars all the time, and they certainly don't want to be advertised to. This is why car dealers mostly fail in social media.

Brian - is there a way to measure Social Media scientifically? None that are simple. It requires specific testing - testing that most dealers don't want to mess with. So, if they don't want to take the steps to measure, then they have to rely on faith. As CassieLee stated it is a "tool" .....but I would go further to say it is a tool that works differently for different industries. Car dealers need a different approach than other "more welcomed" businesses.

I

- @JoePistell - You said "Answer this riddle: If a car shopper doesn't use Social Media to buy a home, a car, find an electrician, a landscaper, a jeweler, or anything related to commerce... Then why does Social Media get so much "face time"?"

Shoppers do use SM to buy all of the above - Do your research! First & foremost example: JCPenney. They recently launched a full blown e-commerce app on their facebook page, where shoppers can purchase items right within Facebook. Check it out. There are others and I'll promise you that there will be more soon.

Cassie,

You said: "Do your research!"
Ahh.... We sell cars here. We are not JCP. We cannot sell via ecommerce, we cannot can ship UPS (ala JCP.com). We don't sell stuff that's hard to find nor unique. We don't make anything. In fact, most of our customers think we all are out to rob them of their 1st born male.

Noting your research error, I return to you my original question.... Show me 5 car dealers that are enjoying ROI from FB efforts. You'd better bring a lunch Cassie, it'll be an all day job.

I'll add this. To find 5, you've churned thru 500 dealers efforts to find those 5. I'll add more depth to your effort. From these 5 that you find, how unique are the MARKETING & OPERATIONS of the 5 dealers (relative to the 500 that have poor results).

For those of you FB fairies that don't work in our vertical, creativity & technology is not our strong suit. Something else you need to know. Our customers don't trust us AND they WANT to negotiate to buy. They arm themselves with information and arrive with boatload of negative equity on the unit they want to tradein.

Lastly, FB has a place in a dealership, it's best used as a sales reps personal tool, more than a dealer's marketing tool. I like adding fixed ops to the FB game plan. I LOVE JK's post and have that book marked for future use: How to Post DealerRater Reviews to Your Dealerships Facebook Fan Page Wall | DealerRefresh

Okay FB Unicorns and fairies, time for you to counter me with more promises and innuendos!

That's because:

1. You, Joe, know what you're doing in digital marketing
2. You've got too much to mess with before jumping into social media
3. You can't flip a switch and say "I'm here" with social media

The big thing is that people don't like car dealers, they don't like to hear about cars all the time, and they certainly don't want to be advertised to. This is why car dealers mostly fail in social media.

You nailed it Alex. Time is not infinite and Opportunities are EVERYWHERE.

If any dealer works FB, the time comes from somewhere, some other internet marketing project has to be "de-ranked".

Is FB more important than PPC?
Is FB more important than SEO (organic)?
Is FB more important than SEO (local)?
Is FB more important than VDP merchandising (aka comments)?
Is FB more important than VDP auditing?
Is FB more important than Spilt Testing?
Is FB more important than Multivirate testing?
Is FB more important than CRM Schedule Optimizing?
Is FB more important than Dealer Reputation Management?
Is FB more important than chat?
Is FB more important than email marketing?
Is FB more important than database marketing?
Is FB more important than micro-site marketing?
Is FB more important than GPOM?
Is FB more important than on-site coupons?
Is FB more important than Video (walk around videos, email videos, cust svc videos, sale of the month videos, referral request videos)?
...there's more, shall I keep going?

Time is finite. What tasks (above) do I ignore to "work FB"?

Game. Set. Match.

Last edited:
I think you've said it Joe ... Dealers have pigeonholed themselves as crooks because of a long history of hit it, then quit it customer relations and follow-up. Which is an important reason why consumers research heavily before they buy ... to not only find the best deal, but the best experience. SM is a valuable channel for reputation and word-of-mouth, viral referrals. It's like a little whisper in the ear (from a unicorn perhaps ...), which can drive sales. It works alongside an already in place service/experience strategy.

Social media may be a slower drip from the funnel, but it drips to your advantage. You didn't wake up one day and become a Google ads expert ... it took testing, research and optimization to get optimal ROI.

SM may be not be for you ... and it may not be for most dealers -- because their vision doesn't go past the giant inflatable monkey fastened aside a row of new SUVs in their lot. But that doesn't mean that with an integrated plan and outlined objectives, it cannot work for car dealers and product a ROI. Reputation, special values and promotions, customer service, PR, lead generation, etc. stimulates (without magic) the bottom line.

real-u.jpg

Joe -- if you cannot see the value -- don't do it.

And if I ever see you trying anything on Facebook or social media, you are in big trouble. I'm watching you (Me and the unicorn.)

David,

I come across as a cold hard curmudgeon, but don't give up on me! I am asking someone to challenge me with facts so I can learn something new. All I hear is promises of future opportunities, while I am upto my armpits in opportunities to chase & execute RIGHT NOW.

I have been picked to participate in an exclusive Automotive SocialMedia beta and they know exactly where I stand. Don't think that FB is not on my radar, it is, I've just put it in its place until it tells me otherwize.

Idea: if you want to work in SM for local businesses, I can think of a million more "social media friendly" SICs than 5511 and 5521. Look at Oreo | Facebook, they are tearing it off the cover. Oreo needs to bring that juice to the street. Grocery stores will get more ROI with a savvy SM player than car dealers will.