• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Zag question

JesseJ

Boss
Mar 22, 2011
First Name
Jesse
Our dealership is trying to figure out how to make the best use of Zag. We are not a volume dealership by any means. We sold 66 cars last month and that was a very big month by our count. That being said, we don't blow everything out at invoice.

Our sales manager has the zag pricing set to offset the zag fee. $300/new car sale. $400/used car sale. For those unfamiliar with zag, ever one who requests a quote is shown three quotes by dealers within 120 miles. Some dealerships have their pricing set below invoice before incentives. I'm trying to figure out how they can possibly honor this price.

Does anyone have feedback on the best strategy for ZAG pricing?

Right, obviously there is back end profit and that sort of thing but it is my understanding that dealerships must honor the pricing they post on ZAG. Of course, what that's kind of a hollow rule that's not very enforceable.

I guess that answered my question though. Seems like they are just trying to blow vehicles out and make up the profit on the back-end.

Jesse - we are CRAZY competitive with our pricing with Zag. You basically have to be to make it worth your time. We had a great month in April with Zag. We had 108 total leads and sold 8. Averaged over $900/front (with hold back) and $1150/back for a total gross of $2050/unit on average.

You don't have to the lowest, but you do have to be competitive. The gross will come - you just have to give yourself the opportunity for it to come your way...

We are a full line GM dealership and pricing is all dependent on where the market is and the availability of that particular vehicle. Our bread and butter cars we get very aggressive for volume. But we are typically "green" in all vehicles. It does give us an idea on what else the market is doing as far as pricing and gives us a base line to work from. But to be more specific - 95% of the time I am pricing them below invoice.

We are a zag dealer. But due to Honda's strict policies, we started to not send a price at all and we still get the lead. So who says you have to quote an immediate price ? You do need to have a process in place that gives a quick quote. However you can review where the zag customer lives and that could help determine the price you send.

We get the lead, say thank you etc & we send our current internet price. I add the following to the quote. We know you will receive 3 quotes from other USAA dealers. We'll be happy to compare any line by line quote from other USAA dealers to earn your business.
Is there a 1st or 2nd color choice ?

Just a thought...

Honda's consider's all ZAG quotes to be an advertised price. If you quote a advertised price under invoice, it is violation of Honda's dealer agreement. We don't agree with Honda's assessment, but we have decided to take a no risk approach. We have not been sending automated quotes for over 7 months.