• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Feedback from dealers using TRUECar

Walt Kustra

Over the Curb
Aug 13, 2009
First Name
Walt
...the wrong link was used in the email you may have just received. Apologies, but the link above will take you to the thread you are looking for.

I need some feedback from anyone who has recently signed on with TRUECar. Originally when it first came out a while ago it was something that everyone (including myself) was totally against. All of the sudden I see every dealer around me is signed up. I am currently having a weak new car month and am wondering if its time to jump on the band wagon as some of my peers seem to be making headway in my PMA and we are not. We also are having our own customers come in with these misleading printouts and basically threatening to go elsewhere until we educate them. I don't see this as a tool to gain new business, but to keep from losing my own. Its not a good feeling to even be considering it. What I want to know is Are any of you signed up, and if so what are your thoughts. I want everyone's opinions even those who would never use it. I need to make an informed decision here on what way I want to take my store. Thanks in advance for all your input, everyone is always so helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think that True Car is now similar to Autobytel or Carsdirect in their business model and that the quality of their leads will depend on their ability to SEO in a particular area, how many other companies are there how aggressive the dealers in the area are with their own SEO, etc.

They are not bad people, perhaps had a bad business plan in the beginning or better put, a business plan that wasn't accepted at this time by the industry. As for now, their business plan has changed and it is probably worth it to check their leads if other sources have not worked for you.

I know from feedback from several clients that they sell cars from it. Whether you see it as a good ROI always depends on the volume of your dealership, other expenses, etc.

I would not put TrueCar leads in the same category as Autobytel. Without question,TrueCar leads will have a higher close ratio.

Dan,

I didn't want to get into which one is better as a lead source but to the issue that since TC had so much bad rep this year some people still don't really know what they do/how they do it. Comparing them to ATB was to exemplify that they are both simply per lead 3rd party sites.

Thank you for your service, I've seen my share too, but the world has changed from 40 years ago.

There are still assholes around, but because a guy made a judgement error about the business shouldn't condemn an entire company.

TrueCar is playing too big for what they truly are: A lead generating company. But I give to them that at least they tried to break with an industry that had no innovation for a while.