• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Feedback from dealers using TRUECar

I would think that True Car is similar to Autobytel or Carsdirect in their business model and that the quality of their leads will depend on their ability to SEO in a particular area, how many other companies are there how aggressive the dealers in the area are with their own SEO, etc.

Yago, I'm curious to your thinking around a lead providers "quality" of leads are in direct correlation to their SEO. I'm not saying you're wrong here but I'd love for you to elaborate on this a bit more. I'm looking forward to your response.

TrueCar is good. When we signed up it was $0 a month. Then years later I heard they put it up to 2kish/mo. Either way, like everybody said it can really help you sell cars but they are going to be really aggressive So you need to make sure you have the right staff to handle them correctly. Make sense?

Re: Something new to DealerRefresh?

Personally, I'd much rather prefer a bit of moderation and than overspamming vendors and nonsense. Just sayin'. I'm someone who generally reads and comments to myself. I have always found it a bit difficult to speak up ... but here you go.

Jeff, ignore the ones who clearly don't appreciate a clutter-free zone. When I was first introduced to Dealerrefresh... I thought this WAS your job... had no idea how you handle everything that goes along with managing this site as a side "job" to help people like me. It really is more than a full time job and has been my source for information from the time I fell into this industry. I would go so far as to attribute much of my success (within what was a completely forgeign industry) to the information and opinions I have found on this site.

I have visited all the sites out there and it is "refreshing" (pun intended) to have a site that you don't have to filter through the vendors, pitches, "guru posts", "guru worshiper posts", and everything in between just to find out what people think about things you are experiencing. This thread, right here ... is the reason I have decided to switch from lurker to poster.

Keep it up!

Re: What is going on with True Car?

I feel like if everyone else is signed up I am at a disadvantage. Not because I'm losing business I could be capturing from outside my PMA, but because people already in my PMA are online shopping and I don't want them going to my competition. I don't know, like with most other "lead providers" they just strong arm us into having to use them by making themselves more relevant advertising wise than the local car dealer can make himself in the online marketplace and on TV. What do you think John, by your response it seems like you don't like it but what would you do if you were back at the store?

I asked a bunch of people I work with (~10) if they have ever heard of TrueCar and each of them replied, "No what's that?". What's the entry point for TrueCar anyways? Just their website? From even a small sample set (some are even gear heads) you would think at least one person would have an idea of what it is. I think until you start seeing this as a valuable lead-gen source, invest your money somewhere else. There's not much consumer awareness built around the brand/service at this point outside of this industry.

I am signed up with TrueCar and I am the only Nissan dealer with in a 60 mile radius signed on. It has its good and its bad good is most of the leads are people who are ready to buy now they have a huge backing with USAA that comes with pros and cons But you dont pay unless the lead is sold. Keep one thing in mind truecar is ramping up the sound waves everywhere but unlike other vendors since truecar came out they have not increased thier rates :) it wont hurt ya to join them just make sure to be smart about it when you do if not you will loose your ass!

Dealers don't need TrueCar! All you are doing is feeding a baby alligator that will one day eat you. These are customers you would have probably sold with some effort. Using TrueCar is for the lazy who don't want to put forth an effort to generate their own traffic. The more money they make, the more advertising they do. Their customer base grows, dealers become more competitive and you keep feeding TrueCar more and more commissions. Why dealers let TC have a foothold is beyond me.

View attachment 1408

That's a lot of money being sent to TrueCar! And that savings, a percentage of that is lost revenue for dealers.

Mark my word, there will come a day where dealers regret letting TC survive.

Attachments

• 2012-12-29_1313.png
    2012-12-29_1313.png
    11 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: 2 people

Wow, thanks for all the feedback guys. Great stuff! As with all tough decisions it seems like there is not a right answer here either. I think my deep seeded hatred for most vendors will ultimately win out over my lust for short term gain, lol. Just looking at things this month its been unreal. Things have never been harder and there are more and more companies popping up that are lined up to make our lives harder and take our money. The worst part is it gives the buyer a false sense of what to expect when coming into the store. I have seen the true car quotes and they are VERY misleading and just makes our jobs all that much harder. I need to make my people better equipped to handle this type of thing, that is most likely the best solution I think.

I feel like if everyone else is signed up I am at a disadvantage. I don't know, like with most other "lead providers" they just strong arm us into having to use them by making themselves more relevant advertising wise than the local car dealer can make himself in the online marketplace and on TV.What do you think John, by your response it seems like you don't like it but what would you do if you were back at the store?

Hi Walt! 1st, I disagree with the statement above. Done right, dealers have every opportunity to dominate their local market and, in fact, keep the barbarians at the gates! I know it's tough when the perception is that every other dealer is on-board when you're not -- but that perception is seldom reality. When I was in the store, the last few years, our corporate office was quick to jump on just about every new johnny-come-lately 3rd-party service there was. At my office, we resisted many because "defense" in itself is not a great strategy -- we believed in setting the tone and pace in our marketplace. Zag comes to mind -- ridiculous price-point and completely unnecessary with an otherwise balanced attack. In general, we avoided 3rd-party leads like the plague, with very few exceptions.

I need to make my people better equipped to handle this type of thing, that is most likely the best solution I think.

That's the ticket! A little learning goes a long way! Good conclusion, Walt!