• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

my bizzare world.

joe.pistell

Uncle Joe
Apr 7, 2009
Awards
First Name
Joe
Over morning coffee, doing research on visual information (infographics), came across this chart that totally nailed the internet shopper experience

card2282.jpg

I about fell out of my chair.
An image so simple sums up the Internet Shopping Experience (regardless of industry). It's a cornerstone in my internet marketing efforts.

THERE ARE 2 SLOPES, a down slope and an up slope.

• Emotion rules the shopper on either slope.
  • Gathering of Information and consumption of time are directly correlated. (same axis)
  • Shoppers on the down slope are seeking "information satisfaction" (the apex)
  • Patience is the enemy of the shopper on the UP slope.
  • Shoppers on the up slope have passed "information satisfaction", are now seeking an exit

Give me Mr. Up Slope!
Wherefor art thou Mr Up Slope? Hmmm.... a cookie based system to tailor a custom message based on the number of visits, or, the time since last visit... hmmm.... need more coffee...

refs:
Indexed Blog Archive Needles and haystacks and such.

Last edited:
Listen to Jerry's T's awesome phone review of Chad. THIS CHART NAILS IT.

On a phone up, you work your customer DOWN THE SLOPE to get them to that "information satisfaction" zone. A phone call is very very limited in its ability to aide anyone with in-depth info on a car they've never sat in. Too much information puts them on the up slope, away from the warm and comfortable spot.

Last edited:
This is great!! I was talking about this the other day with some of my dealers. I always hear.."but today's consumer is much smarter" ...NO...their not...not really. They just have more information to be more confused over.

This chart IMO is right on. Except for many customers the confusion after information continues to rise past the initial level of confusion.

Jeff, you're still a consumer, right? With more information on a wider range of products?

Do you find your self more confused? Based on the short time I've spent here, you seem to be more educated, based on what you find through various sales and informational channels, especially on-line.

I began my sales career in the auto industry, and the biggest lesson I learned, is the consultative sales process. An organic "up" is rarely organic in retail auto sales any more, and a phone "up", is just another format for the consultative sales processes. ALL formats require the same 4 basic principles though of assessing needs, reviewing choices, mediating risk, and succeeding.

The only differences are how those basics need to be applied. A lot "up" needs to touch and feel. A phone "up" needs the voice of someone manning a suicide hotline. An email or internee up needs a combination of both. A well spoken (written) consultant, that can also attach a picture or 2, fulfilling the needs of the first 2 examples.

The sales process across all channels is very simple. Knowing when to apply the right one, at the right time is actually simple too, but missed by many.

Jeff, you're still a consumer, right? With more information on a wider range of products?

Do you find your self more confused? Based on the short time I've spent here, you seem to be more educated, based on what you find through various sales and informational channels, especially on-line....

Chris,

The chart is not about you, me or Jeff, it's about the internet shopping experience, from the SHOPPERS perspective.

Chris, try this exercise and re-look at the chart:

• Find the best snowblower for your uncle that lives way up north. He gets a lot of snow and wants to spend less than $2grand.
confusion_chart.gif

Any research question will do it

• You want to add a deck on your home and you hate painting. Which is better, conventional pressure treated lumber, or, this new fangled poly/wood composite?
  • Is it time to invest in Florida Real Estate?
  • Pico Projectors are coming, Who makes them and can I invest in it?
  • I've got $250 a month to spend on a car, what can I get?

Joe,

I wasn't disagreeing with the chart at all. I fully recognize the confusion that comes with information overload. I'm guilty of driving my self to that state on more than one occasion. I just don't agree with the blanket statement that buyers are not smarter, that Jeff made. They are smarter,which forces sales professionals to adapt and adjust, which we generally dont like to do.

Not just Jeff. I've heard dozens of sales professionals make that word for word statement, over the years, every time a new "tool" or venue comes about, giving any consumer more information.

If it's of any interest, you can read old news articles dating back to the 40's an 50's, of Consumer Reports editors and staff being threatened. They, of course, pioneering the idea of non-partial consumer education, going back to the 30's. Ever since then, consumers of all products, have become more educated, and with that education, the sellers of products have become correspondingly more "fearful", of an educated consumer.

I just think we do ourselves and fellow professionals a disservice by continuing to perpetuate the notion that consumers are not becoming smarter with more information. They are, and we have to accept and adapt accordingly.

Chris

I am feeling that information overload at the present time as I shop for a lower rate on my home loan. I am looking at doing a V.A. streamline loan or Interest Rate Reduction loan and you would think it would be quite easy but I am more confused then ever after reading about buying points and various fees that all seem to be different. I don't know how car folks get a bad wrap looks to me that the ultimate shell game is played by Mtg. Brokers. I have four different quotes from various banks and still don't know what a good deal is.