• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

9 pics per vehicle??

KyleHayden

Full Sticker
Sep 29, 2015
First Name
Kyle
Greetings all- My GM came back from a Ford Conference and apparently one of the presenters said that NINE is the optimal number of photographs we should have of our Vehicles.

To quote from the article, "Postings with nine images saw a 71 percent higher lead submission rate than those with 30 images"

Here's the full article: http://insidelane.dealer.santanderconsumerusa.com/2015/06/22/and-no...

Anyone heard of this? Anyone trying it? Thoughts?

Thanks- Kyle Hayden

To quote from the article, "Postings with nine images saw a 71 percent higher lead submission rate than those with 30 images"
Welcome to DR Kyle!

I think there was a discussion about this a few weeks ago, and what I gather from that statistic is that the customer will naturally have more questions with less photos, so they're more likely to contact you. I can get a lot of phone calls or email forms by not revealing information about vehicles, but does that get me any more sales? Does the customer get a good feeling about my dealership? Do they think buying from me will be an easy process?

I don't like the strategy (or thinking) of less photos... to get more leads. For me, I guess dealers need to decide if they are hunting or fishing online for customers. I don't think you can trick, manipulate, or force customers into submitting their information, and sell more cars consistently from that practice. What's the right number of photos? It's preference of course, but I think around 20 photos per vehicle is a sweet spot. That covers about every relevant area of the vehicle, without taking photos of vents or visors.

The most important aspect a dealer principle or manager needs to understand is that we are fishing online, not hunting. The bait is our inventory, the better the bait might look or taste to the fish, the better chance of getting a bite and setting the hook. It's that simple.

30 is ok but its quality or quantity. IMO its 10 minimum plus any additional shots that would add value.

exterior walkaround
1.) Driver Side front angle.
2.) Side Driver full shot
3.) Driver Side rear angle.
4.) Rear Shot full shot
5.) Passenger Side rear angle
6.) Side Passenger full shot
7.) Passenger Side front angle
8.) Front Side full shot

Interior
9.) shot from driver door angle
10.) front shot taken from rear seat

I believe this was a CarStory case study from this spring.

After I read it, I tested their theory and couldn't come to the same conclusion they did. I tested 8 up to 30 pics and I found no matter how many pictures included, the shopper will scroll through every single one of them. There was no significant change in lead volume. Click and swipe tests indicated that no matter how many photos and in what order (besides main outside shots) shoppers would scroll/click through each and every one of them. There minor trail off after you get to the minor detail photos (keyless entry, tire/wheel, hitch).