• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Does CRM sell cars?

Call me crazy, but I think statements like "CRM doesn't sell cars" are adorable. Sure, technically true, but really way off base in spirit. A garbage CRM can absolutely hinder your team, and keep you from selling cars. Similarly, a great CRM can make everyone more efficient, and keep the hottest prospects front and center.

Yes, a good CRM can be set up poorly. Yes, a bad CRM can be set up well given the confines.

But why start the race carrying a bag of rocks?

Reactions: Alex Snyder
So, as a former CRM sales person, you would advocate that CRMs provide no value?
Not exactly Alex. I couldn’t live without CRM. Most people in society today couldn’t either. Think about it, your smart phone is essentially a CRM. It’s a communications device, a calendar, a task list, etc etc etc.

The challenge with most CRM’s in today’s automotive landscape is upper management doesn’t understand how critical they are and the fact they don’t properly interact with all phases of the buyers experience is a huge drawback. Some claim they do but saving a pencil sheet under a client record isn’t what I’m talking about. The critical ones that “get it” don’t fully buy in because if they did they’d stop for two weeks and build out their system. What’s more important? Two weeks worth of “your” tier 4 influence or two weeks of investment in your tier 1 future to serve you, the store and your team for many years to come?

Further, the simple fact you still need a workflow or daily action plan is antiquated in and of itself. The other drawback with that is it’s usually written by someone not actually interacting with clients and if they are, they’re not doing so regularly or successfully.

While I may remember the guy I bought my wedding ring from because he calls me two days (reminds me) before my anniversary each year doesn’t mean every vehicle purchase anniversary is as important as a client’s birthday. Or when their child was born. Or that it’s even important for them. Every customer is unique and Amazon and eBay have proven this.

So why then do “most” dealers and “most” CRM’s require a regimented workflow based on the nonsensical feelings of a non-accomplished individual? Why do they even allow it?

The first store I ran as a general manager had autobase in it. For the record, I LOVED autobase. I couldn’t believe the workflow which nobody was doing. Literally it was just a slow index card file and half of the staff were locked out because they never finished their daily tasks. When I asked who had written this workflow they told me the autobase rep. I called him, asked him to come out, paid him for a day of his time and we chatted. He went to Northwood too. I asked him how many stores he could show me that had perfect workflows and accomplished all daily tasks, none. I asked him for any before and after evidence which reflects what he’s asking us to do actually impacts the bottom line, he couldn’t. I asked him what positions he held in a store and how many cars he sold on average, what his CSI was and where his average gross was... crickets.

So, if I were to give a heart surgeon advice on how to perform open heart surgery, would he take it or would hospital security have me arrested? I’m guessing the latter...

Can CRM sell more cars, yes, absolutely, unequivocally, yes. However, can CRM sell more cars today, with what happens most of the time which I outlined above, no, absolutely not, can’t happen.

Alex - This topic is quite timely. We just launched our dealerships first CRM last week. I have 5 salespeople and only 1 has ever used a CRM. In my previously role at Kijiji we swore by the CRM (man I miss Salesforce). This has been quite a culture shock for my team but I haven't had to deal with any major kickback.

Give me a couple months and I'll have a more detailed answer to this question.

If the GM is bought in (and uses it) and mandates his/her sales managers to make sure things are complete (no overdue tasks, daily audits, coaching) then it 100% will increase sales.

Can CRM sell more cars, yes, absolutely, unequivocally, yes. However, can CRM sell more cars today, with what happens most of the time which I outlined above, no, absolutely not, can’t happen.

I get where you're coming from now Chris. And I fully appreciate your viewpoint.

Let me ask this: without a CRM, would customers fall through the cracks?

Reactions: Chris Vitale
So, as a former CRM sales person, you would advocate that CRMs provide no value?
There's no way you can find a definitive answer to this question.

For example, DealerSocket has Revenue Radar (which I've heard very mixed reactions to) so it's hard to compare sales numbers against ReyRey CM that doesn't have equity mining (at least not when I used it). I worked closely with a group that switched from CM to DS and it was a disaster, absolutely caused issues for every department including sales. It's possible that it may increase sales over time, but everything is related to process, not product.

CM is an old, antiquated CRM that had plenty of issues, but we had a process nailed down so tight that every follow-up, report, customer export was exactly what we needed. The dealers shaped their sales process around the CRM entirely, so it was a huge mess when they moved to DS and the new process wasn't in place to execute the same way. Again, not a product fault but a process fault.

You can take any CRM and be successful or unsuccessful with it - I don't think the product itself can increase sales without add-ons like equity mining, personalized email functionality, etc.

dealer socket was made by... (failed retailer or never has been retailer?)

Vin Solutions was made by... (failed retailer or never has been retailer?)

Eleads was made by... (failed retailer or never has been retailer?)

Higher gear was made by... (failed retailer or never has been retailer?)

Autobase/imagic lab (now) was made by... (failed retailer or never has been retailer?)

Soooooooo... even IF they're embraced and even IF the culture is CRM and even IF the staff “gets” it, how good could it really get?

It’s like comparing a dodge k car in a race to a corvette. Come on. It’s amazing what we’ll buy and amazing what we’ll fall for.

dealer socket was made by... (failed retailer or never has been retailer?)

Vin Solutions was made by... (failed retailer or never has been retailer?)

Eleads was made by... (failed retailer or never has been retailer?)

Higher gear was made by... (failed retailer or never has been retailer?)

Autobase/imagic lab (now) was made by... (failed retailer or never has been retailer?)

Soooooooo... even IF they're embraced and even IF the culture is CRM and even IF the staff “gets” it, how good could it really get?

It’s like comparing a dodge k car in a race to a corvette. Come on. It’s amazing what we’ll buy and amazing what we’ll fall for.
Hahahahaha a Dodge K Car “if you can find a better car buy it...”

Reactions: Kate Barnett
I think there are two factors that can be directly attributed to answering the DISC (Does It Sell Cars) question:
  • The car itself
  • People (the person buying and the person selling)
Everything else, CRM included, is a catalyst or an inhibitor.