• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Automotive Digital Retailing - Who offers a full solution for dealerships?

Roadster has a neat solution that extends dealer websites to include the ability to handle most of the car buying process online. Theirs gives dealers a solution similar to Beepi, Carvana, etc. but dealers will still have to adjust to a different sales process.

I know CDK has a new tool to do something similar, but I like how clean and simple Roadster's online car buying is.

• Useful
Reactions: Alexander Lau
:bump:

I started this thread just over 2 YEARS AGO!! Reviewing the original list, not much has changed other than the addition of Roadster and CDK Connected.

List of current companies currently providing Online Vehicle Purchase service for dealerships so far:
*Update 8/1/18

Anyone know of a service to add, or maybe one in the horizon worth mentioning and adding to the list soon? :tiphat:

Last edited:
  • Useful
:bump:

I started this thread just over 2 YEARS AGO!! Reviewing the original list, not much has changed other than the addition of Roadster and CDK Connected.

List of current companies currently providing Online Vehicle Purchase service for dealerships so far:

Anyone know of a service to add, or maybe one in the horizon worth mentioning and adding to the list soon? :tiphat:

Hey Jeff! You can change DriveItNow to truPayments.com. Will provide more info over the next few months as we complete our pilot phase.

Thanks!

-Tarry

Sitting through alot of these presentations lately - one thing that has come up (at least on my end) is indemnification - who guarantees the data/quote/info given to the customer?

No one is guaranteeing anything. All these online venders are saying the data is correct, but no one is will to "back it up" with indemnification. They are basically saying that if a mistake is quoted, the dealer is the one who eats it. I did have one vender say that they would take care of it, depending on the value and how much it was...really??

Being over zealous? I had a dealer give me an example of a ~$2,500 quote mistake - vender admitted on their end, but would not pay it. Now I wonder how often it happens?

Sitting through alot of these presentations lately - one thing that has come up (at least on my end) is indemnification - who guarantees the data/quote/info given to the customer?

No one is guaranteeing anything. All these online venders are saying the data is correct, but no one is will to "back it up" with indemnification. They are basically saying that if a mistake is quoted, the dealer is the one who eats it. I did have one vender say that they would take care of it, depending on the value and how much it was...really??

Being over zealous? I had a dealer give me an example of a ~$2,500 quote mistake - vender admitted on their end, but would not pay it. Now I wonder how often it happens?

Good point Drew. This happened to us a couple of times and had to write $800 plus checks to dealers. We now have our own quoting/decisioning engine that just uses the raw data. It gives us more flexibility, better performance and more UI/UX versatility. Most of the DR vendors out there use a company like MarketScan to do their quoting for them.

It's going to be a major problem on new vehicles. Most vendors don't usually have access to the actual financial details on the unit and rely on a single column in a feed. I think it's a major reason why Shop.Click.Drive and similar programs fail. The selling price might be quoted at $37k but when you start the deal it's listed at $42k for whatever reason. A good example of this is with GM's Employee Pricing and the system not realizing the employee pricing was opened up for everyone, so rather than taking the $11k off it only take $7k off.

Many of these problems could be mitigated if the vendors had the financial details on the unit to run further checks on their data in the event the pricing column is incorrect or fat-fingered. Until then it's gonna be a lot of over-promising and under-delivering :/

I can remember vendors guaranteeing THEIR data -- DMS and some calculator-companies, as I recall. If their data or calculations were incorrect, then they would stroke a check.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I see part of the problem now is that data has to come from all over the place -- integrations. Automated incentives, discounts, OEM programs, credit brackets, etc -- that's a cluster of data -- and the more feeds/integrations, the more room for error. It's not a relatively simple residual-and-money factor feed any longer. If I'm a vendor, I'm gonna have a hard time guaranteeing data feeds from myriads of third parties.

Reactions: Alex Snyder
Hmmmm.... just thought of new business model -- Digital Retailing insurance. Like hole-in-one insurance for promotions.... Vendors can offer a "policy" as an after-sell, dealers pay $50 a month and they're covered up to $2000... (insert your own fantasy numbers :))