DealerAuthority Walking on Eggshells & #MeToo

EDIT: and that fact that you don't see this @craigh makes you look silly. It's amazing... let's all make accusations against people without due process! That doesn't sound very smart to me or LEGAL.

I don't disagree that a lack of due process is a problem.
I disagree with the language, approach and blatant disregard for others in your responses.
We can discuss how things are an issue without going in the gutter.

Dealer Authority Marketing Manager jumping in here!

The point of this blog was to highlight that the workplace itself has shifted and if you aren't paying attention, then you are just putting your head in the sand. Sandy Z is an automotive HR expert and she's seen it happen - hence she wants to educate dealers on how all of us can be better communicators in the workplace.

We have had dealers ask us these exact questions, especially after our Women's round table discussion last month, which is the reason why we started this conversation with Sandy.

@craigh hit the nail on the head! There is plenty of good and also plenty of bad that has come out of #Metoo.

Straight from the source:
"Today, I’m concerned about the reactions and confusion that the #metoo fear is causing for dealer principals and managers. I’ve heard of managers making decisions to not hire a qualified and attractive woman. I’ve heard of instituting rules such as not having one on one meetings with female employees. I’ve heard that some dealers express confusion at how to communicate with their female employees—again, fearful of making some inadvertent misstep that will trigger a law suit. It’s kind of created a “walking on eggshells” environment in some ways. I see these reactions as part of our natural “fight or flight” inclination—human—illogical, but human. I believe there is a better way. A way that might even lead to changing our culture." - Sandy Zannino

@Alexander Lau I don't use the "Not sure I agree" button very often, but I really don't agree with some of your posts here.
You're taking a 10/10 aggressive stance on something that was raised as a topic for discussion.
...and I'm entitled to my opinion as you are. We don't have to agree. We can agree to disagree, in fact. I'm good with that. GIANT FUCKING HYPOCRISY that is being pushed one-sided.

I don't disagree that a lack of due process is a problem.
I disagree with the language, approach and blatant disregard for others in your responses.
We can discuss how things are an issue without going in the gutter.
Why, @Alex Snyder himself has repeatedly said that the guy who swears is OK in his book? I do remember that specifically. I'm entitled to my opinion. I call total BS on the #metoo movement by and large.

• Dislike
Reactions: craigh
Why, @Alex Snyder himself has repeatedly said that the guy who swears is OK in his book? I do remember that specifically. I'm entitled to my opinion. I call total BS on the #metoo movement by and large.

But that is where you are missing the point (in my opinion). It's not about the MeToo movement, it's about the evolution of the workplace. You can disagree with the movement as much as you want (that belongs in a different thread), but questions and concerns are being raised about inter-office communication, and we feel it is our duty to help provide industry professionals with information/education to help answer their questions.

Reactions: Alex Snyder
But that is where you are missing the point (in my opinion). It's not about the MeToo movement, it's about the evolution of the workplace. You can disagree with the movement as much as you want (that belongs in a different thread), but questions and concerns are being raised about inter-office communication, and we feel it is our duty to help provide industry professionals with information/education to help answer their questions.
Uhmmm... OK, so don't label the thread as "Walking on Eggshells & #MeToo." Although, I agree that the culture which exists within automotive retail is especially masculine, good luck changing it. I've heard this before, I'm skeptical.

No offense intended @Alexander Lau, but you posted a bunch of links and I don't get the sense from your comments that you read the original. Sandy wasn't suggesting that dealers should walk on eggshells due to the movement. She makes the opposite assertion.

Are you implying that people read headlines and don't read the whole article?!?!?!?!

giphy.gif

No offense intended @Alexander Lau, but you posted a bunch of links and I don't get the sense from your comments that you read the original. Sandy wasn't suggesting that dealers should walk on eggshells due to the movement. She suggested the opposite.
I read you and no offense taken, I've thick skin.

I read the article and complained about the thread (not the article). It doesn't change the fact that it has the title of #metoo, which is by and large a bunch of f*cking crap. BTW, you'll see above that I agree with her point on "automotive culture" listed in the article. It's way too far masculine and if you've been paying attention you've seen me post https://women-drivers.com/anne-fleming-car-buying-advocate.aspx (she's a good friend).

I posted links with comments specifically to prove my point... and I think I've done a good job of it, considering a ton of these cases have been thrown out due to accusations only. If that's not good enough for you, then I'm unsure what to say. You win a trophy! I'll buy you a beer.