• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Are Car Dealers Liars?

Woman Sees Dealership Employee Running Errands in Her Truck While It's in for Service, Steals It Back
https://jalopnik.com/woman-sees-dealership-employee-running-errands-in-her-t-1834175004

Chevy Salesman Accused of Kidnapping Disabled Man and Robbing Him of $200,000
https://jalopnik.com/chevy-salesman-accused-of-kidnapping-disabled-man-and-r-1833978183

Video Showing Dealer Employees Joyriding a Customer's Ford Mustang Is Everyone's Nightmare
https://jalopnik.com/video-showing-dealer-employees-joyriding-a-customers-fo-1832206206

I found it odd that one of the questions asked to customers is if they feel that they got best price, instead of whether or not they feel it was a good deal. If a customer calls 5 dealers and all 5 say they have the best price, you know 4 are lying. The other question I would like answered, and I know JD Powers did this several years back, is what the customer felt about their salesperson as opposed to the dealer.

Being tied to the business, I should be more aware but it seems to me that the deception comes, not from the salesperson but from the finance department managers. Most of them need a lesson in customer awareness and that the tactics they used in the 1970's are no longer acceptable. It's too easy these days to check their numbers online. I came across many advertisements for the vehicle I was looking for that were thousands less but once the finance department got a hold of me, they were deceptive as hell working the deal back-ass-wards to get me to agree with an affordable monthly payment and NOT what the car was being advertised for. Many of them who didn't know I was dealer savvy let me know what rebates I was not qualified to get and even tried to get me to sign BLANK rebate assignment sheets from the manufacture -- WTF?

They can take these guys away for fraud ----

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: Alexander Lau
Being tied to the business, I should be more aware but it seems to me that the deception comes, not from the salesperson but from the finance department managers. Most of them need a lesson in customer awareness and that the tactics they used in the 1970's are no longer acceptable. It's too easy these days to check their numbers online. I came across many advertisements for the vehicle I was looking for that were thousands less but once the finance department got a hold of me, they were deceptive as hell working the deal back-ass-wards to get me to agree with an affordable monthly payment and NOT what the car was being advertised for. Many of them who didn't know I was dealer savvy let me know what rebates I was not qualified to get and even tried to get me to sign BLANK rebate assignment sheets from the manufacture -- WTF?

They can take these guys away for fraud ----

maxresdefault.jpg

I feel like the finance operation often determines how the sales team is set up, and how transparent the sales team can be. If any dealership is actually operationally efficient and selling cars, then it has to be this way. It's like a marketing funnel where the sales page determines what the pages before it and what the ad is going to be.

So I've seen a lot of shitty sales practices because of the shitty finance practice. If finance managers are not willing to be open and transparent to clients, and have been reared on a lot of the traditional bullshit that we get trained on in this industry, then they are less likely to share anything with the sales team, and then you have a back and forth with the sales team and finance team whenever a client has a question, or - the sales team just lies their way through the whole process. This kind of practice just doesn't work anymore and it's why people leave the dealership before they ever get through the sales process. We need more transparency and if the finance managers want to hide numbers then it fucks up the entire dealership AND hurts their bottom dollar. The finance managers may not recognize it because they only get the clients after they have been through the sales process, but the way they operate with the sales team also determine how many people get through sales and what the quality of those clients are. We need to stop the siloed nature of the dealership because it just kills all transparency and hurts close rates

Reactions: SoCalMark
Everyone in the automotive industry lies. That's why it has such a bad reputation. Buyers lie. Salespeople lie. Finance managers, GMs. Agencies. Web providers. I'm probably lying right now.
Except for the thousands of dealers (per year) being busted for illegal actions, there's that. I don't post half the shit I see on "Stealerships" (at Jalopnik), which deserves it's own thread here.

Here's a funny one...

Judge Orders Car Dealer to Wear Ankle Bracelet and Pay $125,000 for Scamming Buyers
https://jalopnik.com/judge-orders-car-dealer-to-wear-ankle-bracelet-and-pay-1829191314

cd_em_gps_2.jpg

Last edited: