• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Witness - The Worst Tactic Ever

These work, it's usually an internal fight among dealership ownership/management. I've seen conversions over 20% on these with impressive sales numbers too.

All that matters is what you show/do after the fact. People forget they had to go through a squeeze page really quick.

These work, it's usually an internal fight among dealership ownership/management. I've seen conversions over 20% on these with impressive sales numbers too.

All that matters is what you show/do after the fact. People forget they had to go through a squeeze page really quick.
What works? Showing inventory with no pricing until form fill unlocks instantly OR don't show inventory at all until form is filled and then show instantly OR don't show inventory even after form fill but shopper has to receive email to unlock inventory and price?
When you say "I've seen conversions over 20%" @Marc Lavoie, are you speaking about sessions to form conversions (GA event) or Sold rate on those leads? From what I've read in this form, most dealers are in the 15% range on their own site leads, sold conversion, without a squeeze. So I would expect nothing less than 20% when you filter the highly motivated shoppers into your funnel. I don't think a squeeze is a bad thing but worry at the UX and today's shopper. I have a hard time believing that you would sell more with a squeeze? Sure, your conversion goes up but that is just a numbers game. When you start making decisions, paying people, etc off of Internet Close Rates it invites strategies that may game a pay-plan.

The other thing a squeeze ignores are the other 95% of "internet" shoppers on your site that don't convert within the site but plan on just picking up the phone or walking in. Do those shoppers just skip you because they didn't really want to give you their information or talk to you yet?

Special Fi & squeeze page are bread and butter. They work well together.

Outside of Special Fi, if you think a website's man job is is lead gen, then Squeeze page logic makes sense. Beware the MANY unintended consequences.

Just one example... My gut tells me adding Squeeze Page will raise lead gen rates, but,
  1. will reduce average credit score per shopper, and per sale.
  2. will reduce the overall 'repeat visitor rate' (i.e. higher credit score shoppers won't like the friction)
  3. Your non-gumby cars will underperform
  4. it will cause you to shift your inventory to better serve the gumbies.

Have more than a few dealer clients who don't list sale prices online - just the expected monthly payment, or something along those lines.

I don't want to sound silly, but I think this problem starts with Car Classifieds like Autotrader, CarGurus, and other platforms alike.

What I mean by that is... some of these platforms are designed to cannibalize dealerships on their vehicle prices. So those with the lowest prices rank higher for a specific make/year/model of vehicle within a specified region.

Dealers front-end margins have rapidly declined year after year, so for a dealership to prevent the listing of prices isn't really too condemnable, IMO.

Reactions: Tallcool1