• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Anyone listing their inventory on Carvana?

Greg Spencer

Desk Monkey
Aug 7, 2020
Awards
First Name
Greg
A year ago, I wrote an article about Carvana's experiments with third-party listings. https://aimgroup.com/2020/08/14/carvana-enters-into-marketplace-territory/

Carvana was listing cars from other dealers, and selling them as their own. Sort-of. The dealers who owned the cars weren't named. In fact, in the photos, dealer signs and logos would be Photoshopped out. But the cars would be marked as "partner inventory" and a disclaimer would warn shoppers that the cars weren't in Carvana's possession and that they would have to be purchased from the third party.

A year later the experiment remains an experiment. Carvana discussed it very briefly in their Q2 earnings call, but didn't divulge anything about it other than that the experiment continues. What do you suppose is holding up this project?

Last edited:
Fair (started by TrueCar founder Scott Painter) is also moving to this model:

Stewart said expanding Fair would be difficult because the demand for used-vehicle subscriptions and leasing products is limited compared with demand for cash or financed vehicle purchases. He added that some loan terms and new-vehicle leases also are cost-competitive for some consumers, and a short-term vehicle subscription comes with higher costs.

Fair's brand and technology instead can serve a marketplace model that facilitates a vehicle transaction between consumers and dealerships without carrying the risk on the company's balance sheet, he said.

The company's model, he said, would be analogous to "either Carvana without owning the cars, or think of it as Autotrader where you can purchase the car and have all of the things that go along with it — insurance and F&I products and logistics — facilitated by that platform. In this case, us."

Stewart said Fair would handle an entire digital transaction, including finance and insurance and paperwork. Partnering dealerships would arrange test drives, trade-ins and vehicle delivery as well as longer-term service needs, he said. Consumers would transact digitally from Fair, which would purchase the vehicle in a wholesale transaction from the dealership and sell it directly to the buyer without holding it long term on the company's books, he said.

This is RocketAuto.com's entire business model - partnering with third-party dealers:
Yes, but in contrast to Carvana, RocketAuto discloses who the third parties are. RocketAuto says it will enable online purchase on its own platform, but it will also offer a more traditional transaction where part of the deal's worked out on RocketAuto, but the final purchase is done at the dealership. At least from what I could work out.

Yes, but in contrast to Carvana, RocketAuto discloses who the third parties are. RocketAuto says it will enable online purchase on its own platform, but it will also offer a more traditional transaction where part of the deal's worked out on RocketAuto, but the final purchase is done at the dealership. At least from what I could work out.
Correct! Rocket Auto has a BDC in Detroit (that currently powers Vroom) that I'm assuming will handle all follow-up communication and pass the near finalized deal/lead along to the dealer partner to wrap up and deliver.

Thanks for sharing this great information. I loved this post, because this information is cleared many confusions. I have been read about this area code 809 on many places such as REMOVED. but my confusions is not clear. Now I am fully satisfied.

Where is @Rick Buffkin? I have questions...

What is the point of spam like this? Is the goal simply to get a url out there? If that is the case, wouldn't you want to say something positive about the property that you are promoting? No need to leave this forum for whateverCRAPvirushostingsite.com you're trying to link me to if my confusions will be not cleared, right?

Either way, when it comes time to rebrand Refresh the tagline should be "Get FULLY Satisfied!"
...or maybe you can borrow that old Snickers jingle...
"Refresh really satisfies you!"

Last edited: