• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

I just SOLD a car - USING TEXT ONLY

Jeff,

Thanks for sharing this experience. I do a lot of text with leads and making yourself available does have its inconveniences. However, extending this line of communication is almost necessary given how connected we our with our mobile devices.

Here are my tips to ensure conversion of a lead through text.
  • Double check what you send - autocorrect can give leads the wrong impression about you.
  • Be transparent - If you are truthful about a scratch it is less likely to be a big deal, and you have a recorded instance of disclosure.
  • Be timely - If you can't respond or text right away just say so. Leads want to know that they are being treated fairly and not put to the side.
  • Pictures - Offer, offer, offer. Anything you do that can reaffirm and reassure the lead that the vehicle is as stated solidifies the exchange and makes the lead more willing to work with you.
  • Videos - This is a big one. Sending short videos of requested views or engine running really can seal the deal and bridge any mistrust a lead may have.
Moving towards text almost seems like a natural pathway, but keep things professional, check grammar, and spelling.

I hope this assists you, and good luck!

Last edited:
Jeff,

Thanks for sharing this experience. I do a lot of text with leads and making yourself available does have its inconveniences. However, extending this line of communication is almost necessary given how connected we our with our mobile devices.

Here are my tips to ensure conversion of a lead through text.
  • Double check what you send - autocorrect can give leads the wrong impression about you.
  • Be transparent - If you are truthful about a scratch it is less likely to be a big deal, and you have a recorded instance of disclosure.
  • Be timely - If you can't respond or text right away just say so. Leads want to know that they are being treated fairly and not put to the side.
  • Pictures - Offer, offer, offer. Anything you do that can reaffirm and reassure the lead that the vehicle is as stated solidifies the exchange and makes the lead more willing to work with you.
  • Videos - This is a big one. Sending short videos of requested views or engine running really can seal the deal and bridge any mistrust a lead may have.
Moving towards text almost seems like a natural pathway, but keep things professional, check grammar, and spelling.

I hope this assists you, and good luck!

Great TIPS for everyone utilizing text @Tony Do - thanks for sharing. Every Monday I put on a short power training session. I'll be using your tips for next Monday's training.

I have an Android and my photos are automatically backed up to Google Photos. On Google Photos, I can click the images and create an album, takes 15 seconds. Then I can share a link to it, can copy and paste the link to Carcode and send, maybe an extra minute?

I'm sure the average rep wouldn't do that, but that's why great managers like you, me, and the rest of Refreshers hire, train, and motivate exceptional reps right? :)

Bottom line though, you're right, it's a little extra work but it's also free, legal, and my reps don't have to give out their phone number (I know it sounds silly but I've had reps have to put up with some ridiculous stuff over the years). If there's another free, legals, and safe solution I'd love to hear it!

I like this from a management standpoint for a few reasons -
  • There are more and more litigation risks having staff use their own device - like having to pay them for taking a text after hours in some states
  • I have had female staff hit-on and nearly stalked by customers
  • Trackability - using CRM text is ideal but another house tool at least gives the dealer a way to see the conversation and manage it if necessary. The conversations are generally archived for future reference indefinitely. If the salesperson breaks their phone, that's all lost. Many (most) staff won't keep a good record of the conversation documented in CRM using a personal device in my experience

Loved reading this, @Jeff Kershner! What I think is cool is that you weren't concerned about the micro details of workflow, you looked at the situation with an empathetic big picture view, and recognized how the customer wanted to interact at each stage of the process. It's easy to get stuck with your head down, worrying about your workflow and tools as if your job is just to turn this wrench like this. Much harder to look at each new situation with fresh eyes, asking 'what expectations does this customer have?' and only then decide which tools will get you there.

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
Reviving an old thread, the closest to my question, could use the community's help!

Have a customer that wants to employ short SMS codes in their radio advertising. It has been years since I've looked at this space, years ago we had a vendor at Dealer Specialties (can't remember name).

Any current recommendations on providers? Established play, strong reporting, etc.

thanks!

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
Funny thing - if you ask car buyers for either their phone or email, they never give the phone number. However, if you offer to text with them, they will do that, even though they are giving you their phone number. Why? Because they don't want to talk to you, but they will text with you. They feel that it's less intrusive, and they feel like they are still in control.

When you get a phone number from a prospect car buyer, DO NOT CALL THEM unless they ask you do. Text them instead. And don't make your first text, "Hey, this is Dave from XYZ Auto. When can you come in to the dealership?" Be helpful. Assist them. Earn their trust and build a relationship. Don't be pushy, don't bang on their phone with messages and pressure.

Reviving an old thread, the closest to my question, could use the community's help!

Have a customer that wants to employ short SMS codes in their radio advertising. It has been years since I've looked at this space, years ago we had a vendor at Dealer Specialties (can't remember name).

Any current recommendations on providers? Established play, strong reporting, etc.

thanks!
To play devil's advocate - is it worth using 10 seconds of your 30-second spot repeating your shortcode and keyword 2-3 times so listeners (typically driving) have a chance of acting on it?

I understand the desire for direct attribution, but you are taking valuable time away from your message. If your message is good enough, a simple call to action to visit your website provides a better lift (often visible via GBP metrics).

Signed,
A digital-savvy car dealer that still spends hundreds of thousands on terrestial radio ads (it works!)

Last edited:
Reactions: George Nenni
Spot on of course @Ryan Everson , but we have a new GM who had success with it in prior role (not sure what measurement) and passionately wants to give it a try. Who knows, we could be surprised, but I don't suspect more than a handful of engagements.
Ah, the classic story:

Dealership hires experienced marketer.
Dealership proceeds to tell experienced marketer how to market.

To play devil's advocate - is it worth using 10 seconds of your 30-second spot repeating your shortcode and keyword 2-3 times so listeners (typically driving) have a chance of acting on it?

I understand the desire for direct attribution, but you are taking valuable time away from your message. If your message is good enough, a simple call to action to visit your website provides a better lift (often visible via GBP metrics).

Signed,
A digital-savvy car dealer that still spends hundreds of thousands on terrestial radio ads (it works!)
Have to have a heck of a call to action to get any traction. Curious what they are thinking?