• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

I am a salesperson and I need your help

Generic Salesperson

Full Sticker
Mar 9, 2023
Awards
First Name
Shawn
Hello to you,

I am a salesperson who has struggled finding qualified leads. Today I am reliant upon foot traffic, phone calls and internet leads.

We have a good inventory of hundreds of vehicles. Few people use the CRM, almost none as much as I do. I have some flexibility to "market" vehicles on the internet but have no marketing budget.

We use Eleads as our CRM. I am trying to mine our CRM for old customers who are not attached to a current salesperson.

Two questions to start:
What do you recommend I do to generate qualified leads?
Is there any service that will find me buyers who will take a cut of the deal if I can close them?

Thank you

Reactions: chriscostner
Yes, I asked the service manager for help finding leads but he took the position that if he refers customers to the sales department that his repair income would decrease. On occassion people wander from service, or parts, into the showroom.

As I think about how to mine the CRM I believe I understand that the best prospects are people who have bought from us before and who service their vehicles with us. What strategies should I employ to develop leads from the service department?

It takes some work to find the right candidates in the service drive, manually. But if you can get in front of someone who would be interested in receiving a package of information about what they could trade their car for, you may be able to get more bites.

Hang out in the service drive and ask people if they want to know what their car is worth. Assuming your used car manager can give you a guide on how to give them a quick number you could do it on the spot and then ask if they'd like to see payments on an upgrade. If your manager isn't comfortable with you giving a number on the spot, find out how your manager would like you to give him a condition report. After presenting that report, he should be able to give you a range he's more comfortable showing a customer, and you could call/text/email that range to the customer. Then ask if they're interested in exploring payments on an upgrade.

I wrote a white paper on how to mine the service drive a while ago. There are some talk tracks and email templates at the end. Maybe it will help you: https://frkn.tech/ToolsToEquityMineService

...he took the position that if he refers customers to the sales department that his repair income would decrease.

That is an unfortunate response, but maybe you can approach him from a different angle. Would he be willing to give you just the customers that declined services to start?

That conversation might go something like this.

"Mr. Service Manager, I see your point and I totally understand why you may be hesitant to have me presenting numbers to your service customers in the drive. Maybe we can help each other here. Would you be willing to let me follow up with customers that declined work? We can work on the template together if you want. Just a guess, but reaching out may be able to get them back in for you more often than it generates a sale for me. If it does generate a sale, I'll go above and beyond on the service walk at delivery to make sure that they are back in here servicing with you again."

That needs work, but you get the idea. Present your follow up as a win for him.

Prospecting outside the dealership walls will help you get deals, there are more deals outside your walls than will ever come into your store.
I learned a lot from Fran Taylor, he's a bit old school now, but the techniques still work, here's a good link to learn more about his methods:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIcOrMCPFUw

Send out videos constantly, walk around videos, videos of the inventory coming in, videos of the service dept.

Let everyone know you are in the car business and there to be a resource, everyone you meet should know what you do and how to get in touch with you.

Prospecting outside the dealership walls will help you get deals, there are more deals outside your walls than will ever come into your store.
I learned a lot from Fran Taylor, he's a bit old school now, but the techniques still work, here's a good link to learn more about his methods:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIcOrMCPFUw

Send out videos constantly, walk around videos, videos of the inventory coming in, videos of the service dept.

Let everyone know you are in the car business and there to be a resource, everyone you meet should know what you do and how to get in touch with you.

I like Fran's stuff too! He is old school, but his methods are very much effective.

I would highly recommend posting vehicles on Facebook marketplace and as many local buy sell groups in your area. I would also make sure ALL of your friends and family know you sell cars. If you sell 1-2 vehicles off Facebook a week which with your current inventory that's pretty realistic. That would be 4-8 extra car sales for you a month.

Hello to you,

I am a salesperson who has struggled finding qualified leads. Today I am reliant upon foot traffic, phone calls and internet leads.

We have a good inventory of hundreds of vehicles. Few people use the CRM, almost none as much as I do. I have some flexibility to "market" vehicles on the internet but have no marketing budget.

We use Eleads as our CRM. I am trying to mine our CRM for old customers who are not attached to a current salesperson.

Two questions to start:
What do you recommend I do to generate qualified leads?
Is there any service that will find me buyers who will take a cut of the deal if I can close them?

Thank you
What state are you in?