• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Auto Technologies that force IE & Windows?

Alex Snyder

President Skroob
Staff member
May 1, 2006
Awards
First Name
Alex
Let's compile a list of all the companies that force you to only use a particular browser and operating system.

Please post the ones you know of.

For Example:

• ADP Websuite: Internet Explorer & Windows - versions vary
  • Toyota's Dealer Daily: Internet Explorer
  • XTime: Internet Explorer & Windows

PLEASE - if you are one of these companies being listed, post and tell us what we're doing wrong.

Reynolds & Reynolds DMS: Windows (and not 64 bit versions of it)
DealerSocket: Windows & Internet Explorer 6, 7, 8
Cobalt Website Manager: Internet Explorer (Windows) or Firefox (Win/Mac)
HyundaiDealer Web DCS: Windows & Internet Explorer (though the rest of the site works on pretty much anything)
Autobase: Windo... wait no one actually still uses that crap anymore do they?

eLead CRM only works in IE. There are a few things you can do in FF and Chrome but you never really know what it is.

Example: You think you are saving a customer edit when in Chrome - it says it has been saved BUT NO.

A lot of the manufacturer programs like Mercedes Netstar only works in IE.
My Mercedes dealers website vendor AllAutoNetwork only works in IE.

Example: You think you are saving a customer edit when in Chrome - it says it has been saved BUT NO.

DealerSocket does the same thing in pretty much every Mac browser. I use Chrome 95% of the time, the only reason I use FireFox is for Cobalt pretty much.

I don't understand how all of these companies want to be seen as cutting edge yet are using truly antiquated technology.

AND STOP PUTTING FLASH EVERYWHERE!! :rofl: if there ever was a late 90's, early '00s web technology that needed to die in one of those decades, flash is it. I only hope that the iPhone and iPad continuing to refuse to support flash will expedite its demise. HTML5 is the future :D

DealerTrack requires Internet Explorer for most everything. Magnanimous as they are, their accessories site will also let you use Firefox. Anything else, and they'll simply stonewall you and say you need the appropriate browser.

Vinsolutions really only works well in IE. OK Firefox, Chrome not quite up to snuff. It recommends IE for Silverlight I am sure.

Our software works great in FireFox. That is all I ever even use!

We have a couple things that only work in IE due to ActiveX controls for printing. Printing from the browser stinks. PDF is really the only option.... but printing from Silverlight is almost here! Looking forward to that.

Ford / Chrysler and Honda's MFG Portals are always super IE dependent. I think it is their excessive use of the IE only <lame /> tag.

My IE instance is always running the manufactures web portals. Everything else in an alternative browser.