• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Critiquing A Live Dealer Chat Script -- Chat Tracks

Jeff Kershner

Founder
Staff member
May 1, 2005
Awards
First Name
Jeff
chattracks_700.jpg

We have word tracks for when were face to face with a potential client. We have word tracks for becoming a phone-up professional, moving the customer to appointment. Have the right words at the right time in your arsenal and move the customer that much closer to the appointment or sale.

But what about word/type tracks for Chat? .. "Chat Tracks" for when you're in the introduction or knee deep in a chat with a customer on the other side of your monitor?

The PROBLEM with Chat is - MOST people SUCK at it (and the phone for that matter.) However, if you take the time and learn how to effectively chat, it can no doubt be one of your most highest converting "lead sources" your dealer can have.

Be is an actual chat transcript. Let's all put our heads together, collaborate and find areas for improvement. Vendors are invited to participate with no blatant or hidden sales tactics of course :)

Review the live chat transcript below..

Where did they go wrong?

What should they have said differently?

What "chat track" would have worked better AND why?

Side note: let's keep this the only chat transcript for this thread. IF you have your own chat transcript that you feel as if would be a great example, please submit to Dealerrefresh and we could use it in a future Chat Track critique session.

Let's Begin...

Starting Time: 6/16/2010 1:08:47 PM Central Daylight Time
Agent: Jack Handy
Time to Answer (in seconds): 45
Year=1998
Make=Toyota
Model=4Runner
Price=10990
StockType=Used

Transcript:
[1:09:07 PM]<System>Agent Jack Handy has accepted the conversation
[1:09:11 PM]<Customer>is your White 1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 for $10,990 still available?
[1:09:32 PM]<Jack Handy>Hello, How are you
[1:09:38 PM]<Customer>Here is the link... (link removed)
[1:10:07 PM]<Jack Handy>Please hold while I look that up for you.
[1:10:17 PM]<Customer>thanks.
[1:11:23 PM]<Jack Handy>Im sorry for the hold, Have you been working with anyone in our sales department
[1:11:48 PM]<Customer>No. Just looking for a 4Runner online.
[1:12:31 PM]<Jack Handy>Ok, I would be more then happy to help you. My name is Jack Handy, I should be receiving a answer very soon
[1:12:41 PM]<Customer>Thank you.
[1:14:04 PM]<Jack Handy>I am back, sorry about that
[1:14:44 PM]<Jack Handy>I have followed up and we did sell that Toyota 4 runner, Would you consider a 2004 though
[1:15:07 PM]<Customer>can you send me a link to look at the specs online?
[1:15:33 PM]<Jack Handy>Yes I can, Please give me a sec
[1:16:20 PM]<Jack Handy>Please go to www.abctoyota.com
[1:17:33 PM]<Jack Handy>My name is Jack Handy if you would like to stop by for a test drive or if I can assist you in any way. Thanks once again. Can I help you out with any other questions
[1:18:19 PM]<Customer>I don
[1:18:38 PM]<Customer>I don't see a 2004. Is it posted on your site?
[1:19:35 PM]<Customer>Also, why are some certified and others not?
[1:20:18 PM]<Jack Handy> When you go into ABC Toyota , go to Used inventory and you should see it listed. Is there a phone # that I could contact you on and walk you through the process.
[1:20:41 PM]<Customer>I think I'm good. Thanks for your help.
[1:21:27 PM]<Jack Handy>Some are Certified and others are not. The Toyota Certification process is very very tough, They need to go through a 160 point inspection to pass for certification
[1:21:38 PM]<Customer>got it, thanks.
[1:21:53 PM]<Jack Handy>Your welcome, Thanks for your time & have a GREAT day
[1:22:03 PM]<Customer>you too.

OK breaking this down from start to finish. I may be picky...but I am. :)
Agent? Could we come up with a better name? "Customer Advocate" "Internet Sales Manager", etc. Also "accepted" the conversation...you better accept it! It is a customer! - How about "joined"

[1:14:44 PM]<Jack Handy>I have followed up and we did sell that Toyota 4 runner, Would you consider a 2004 though
5 min to find out if in stock? That is forever on the phone, even worse in chat where people (customers) can become quickly distracted. Doesn't this person have DMS access, or even a daily printed inventory list? The customer gave him an actual link - had a stock number! Was he running the lot looking for it? On a positive note - he offered an alternative.

Guess he could not send an actual link himself? Wanted to make the customer click/search 4-5 times? Should have sent the customer an actual deep-link

[1:21:27 PM]<Jack Handy>Some are Certified and others are not. The Toyota Certification process is very very tough, They need to go through a 160 point inspection to pass for certification
I read into this as - "Our other used cars are POS's" - I think a customer would do the same.

Never asked for the customers name, although he mentioned his name a few times. Taking to long between replies made the conversation not flow.

Asking Yes/No questions instead of open ended. Maybe should/could have said: "Okay, sir, what's your phone number, let me go over this over the phone with you right now so we can get you looking at the vehicles that you're interested in!"

Wonder what the customer's name is? Should have/could have said "My name is Jack Handy, may I ask your name?"

Didn't shoot for an appointment in the showroom..... Should have/could have said: "How about this, sir/madam, let's schedule you to come out and see exactly what's on the lot. To be completely honest, we move cars so quickly sometimes, that our website isn't updated as quickly as it should be. Our fault, completely. You think you could maybe come out this afternoon, I have time right now. Or, would later this evening work a bit better for you?

.....looking forward to see what everyone else sees!

He never went for the info...Perhaps the perfect vehicle strolls in tomorrow.....he has no way of reaching that guy/girl to tell them about it.

He did a lot right but many transcripts i read end just like this. It's simple if you ask at the right time you get the information most of the time.

Responding with "we have a shipment of pre-owned vehicles coming in soon, i will call you if there is something of interest on it". Or "I will check to see if that vehicle is available, are you somewhere I can call you while I walk out to check?".

Either way, I bet the guy/girl would have provided contact info at that point. Other than that it was a pretty good chat.

Note to dealers: ask for the information but do it the right way.

Agent? Could we come up with a better name? "Customer Advocate" "Internet Sales Manager", etc. Also "accepted" the conversation...you better accept it! It is a customer! - How about "joined"

I was always one for "Jack Handy is now here to help!" or something of that sort. Great point you saw, though!

5 min to find out if in stock? That is forever on the phone, even worse in chat where people (customers) can become quickly distracted. Doesn't this person have DMS access, or even a daily printed inventory list? The customer gave him an actual link - had a stock number! Was he running the lot looking for it? On a positive note - he offered an alternative.

Guess he could not send an actual link himself? Wanted to make the customer click/search 4-5 times? Should have sent the customer an actual deep-link

I read into this as - "Our other used cars are POS's" - I think a customer would do the same.

Never asked for the customers name, although he mentioned his name a few times. Taking to long between replies made the conversation not flow.

Actually, i have found people are much more likely to be ok with waiting on a chat than on the phone. Not that you want them to but they can multi task. Most chat companies offer a notification on the screen when the dealer replies.

Good point on the verbiage. I agree with some of it.

View attachment 64

This one punched me right in the face.

Translation "Only the vehicles that are in excellent shape we certify through Toyota. The cars that are not Toyota Certified probably wouldn't pass the 160 point inspection so why bother".

This would make me the customer ONLY want a Toyota certified vehicle which instantly eliminates a lot of alternatives. Sometimes less is more with Chat, don't think Jack Handy had to highlight this!

The others have already brought up the point of not getting contact info so I 'll leave that alone.

View attachment 64

Review the live chat transcript below..

Where did they go wrong?

What should they have said differently?

What "chat track" would have worked better AND why?

Side note: let's keep this the only chat transcript for this thread. IF you have your own chat transcript that you feel as if would be a great example, please submit to Dealerrefresh and we could use it in a future Chat Track critique session.

Let's Begin...

Starting Time: 6/16/2010 1:08:47 PM Central Daylight Time
Agent: Jack Handy
VisitId: 7717927
Time to Answer(in seconds): 45
Origination: Removed
Context:
Year=1998
Make=Toyota
Model=4Runner
StockNumber=V1168133
VIN=JT3HN86R4W01854454
Price=10990
StockType=Used
caId=43379944
affId=automotv

Transcript:
[1:09:11 PM]<Customer>is your White 1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 for $10,990 still available?
[1:09:32 PM]<Jack Handy>Hello, How are you
[1:09:38 PM]<Customer>Here is the link... (link removed)
[1:10:07 PM]<Jack Handy>Please hold while I look that up for you.
[1:10:17 PM]<Customer>thanks.
[1:11:23 PM]<Jack Handy>Im sorry for the hold, Have you been working with anyone in our sales department
[1:11:48 PM]<Customer>No. Just looking for a 4Runner online.
[1:12:31 PM]<Jack Handy>Ok, I would be more then happy to help you. My name is Jack Handy, I should be receiving a answer very soon
[1:12:41 PM]<Customer>Thank you.
[1:14:04 PM]<Jack Handy>I am back, sorry about that
[1:15:07 PM]<Customer>can you send me a link to look at the specs online?
[1:15:33 PM]<Jack Handy>Yes I can, Please give me a sec
[1:17:33 PM]<Jack Handy>My name is Jack Handy if you would like to stop by for a test drive or if I can assist you in any way. Thanks once again. Can I help you out with any other questions
[1:18:19 PM]<Customer>I don
[1:18:38 PM]<Customer>I don't see a 2004. Is it posted on your site?
[1:19:35 PM]<Customer>Also, why are some certified and others not?
[1:20:18 PM]<Jack Handy> When you go into ABC Toyota , go to Used inventory and you should see it listed. Is there a phone # that I could contact you on and walk you through the process.
[1:20:41 PM]<Customer>I think I'm good. Thanks for your help.
[1:21:38 PM]<Customer>got it, thanks.
[1:21:53 PM]<Jack Handy>Your welcome, Thanks for your time & have a GREAT day
[1:22:03 PM]<Customer>you too.

Jeff

Great threa

There are several advantages a third party staffed provider has, but as this is an in-house chat, I will give my thoughts below based on what I see are issues, and some suggestions on where they could improve.

The chat took 45 seconds to pick up, and visitors start leaving after 10 seconds with no response. Chats should be picked up as soon as possible, under 10 seconds if you don't want to miss any opportunities.

The visitor should have been welcomed to the chat (Just like at the dealership), and his question addressed first.

Over 3 1/2 minutes passed before the visitors question was answered, and the answer was that it was no longer available. I don't think they should have checked, they should have used scripting at that point to get the visitors contact info. Something like: I only have access to the online inventory at this time, may I have the appropriate person check availability for you? and then on to some more scripts to gain the info. Once you have the info, then you have a lead that can be worked. Once they leave chat without leaving info, it's game over.

Well since the above type scripting was not used, another vehicle was recommended after the visitor was told that the vehicle of interest was sold. If you have something very similar, it is ok to suggest a particular vehicle, but it would have been better to have used scripting like: We have a giant selection of similar vehicles, are there particular options you are looking for? Are you trying to work within a specific budget. Is there a color you prefer? There are tons more, but the idea is to get a conversation going that gets the visitor to interact and give you info. Once a visitor has interacted/answered pointed questions, it is easier to get their info and move the conversation to the phone, or set an appointment for them to come in. On another note, the time it took for the agent to send the visitor the new suggested vehicle info/link was nearly two minutes, and it was not a direct link to the vehicle. Perhaps some training on the system they are using is needed, and a direct link to the vehicle should have been sent.

This comment: ]<Jack Handy>Im sorry for the hold, Have you been working with anyone in our sales department. Is way out of line, and had nothing to do with the visitors question. It was obviously a salesman on commission wanting to make sure he had a fresh up, not wasting his time. These type of comments have no place in a chat. The chat needs to be quality support with scripting designed to get info or get them in. Also this would have been a good time to get the visitors name to make the conversation more personal, if something like this was sent instead: (My Name is Jack Handy, may I know your name please?)

Overall this chat was very weak, none of the visitors info was ever asked for, all of the questions were answered to slow, and poorly. No interaction was created, and control of the chat was never taken.

Just gave this a quick look, will give it some more thought, and post some more soon

Reactions: 1 person