• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
For AI to reach its full potential in automotive retail, there needs to be more open APIs, particularly in the CRM and DMS space.

Realistically, the only way this will happen is if OEMs make it a priority and mandate minimum API standards for approved vendors by a certain deadline.

The dealers best positioned to leverage AI are those already using software with open APIs. That’s why I believe we’ll see more large groups migrating to platforms like Tekion and investing in building in-house solutions.

Reactions: Alex Snyder
For AI to reach its full potential in automotive retail, there needs to be more open APIs, particularly in the CRM and DMS space.

Realistically, the only way this will happen is if OEMs make it a priority and mandate minimum API standards for approved vendors by a certain deadline.

The dealers best positioned to leverage AI are those already using software with open APIs. That’s why I believe we’ll see more large groups migrating to platforms like Tekion and investing in building in-house solutions.
i would say yes and no, The amount of garbage in the DMS the AI would have to sift through that and make a golden customer file containing everything. that much power in the DMS will never happen from an outside source. The CRM, well it just pulls from the DMS so garbage in and garbage out. What Zenzio.com is doing is not only not a chat bot but an intelligent assistant who communicates to the shoppers on the website without forcing them to give up personal info. why should a customer have to give a name and phone number and email just to ask questions about a car. Additionally Zenzio is capable of ANSWERING LEADS I put that in caps because in every store there is a breakdown on lead handling. Someone (might) answer the lead but use the old school wordage of when can you be here to test drive the car. most times not even answering the question in the lead. THEN, they usually never follow-up again moving forward, whereas Zenzio can follow-up for 45 days or more!

Tekion is a great tool but its still new and there are still large gaps. Drive Centric is the best CRM in the market right now. SO i would say its amazing the tech that's coming out now and I'm excited to watch it grow.

i would say yes and no, The amount of garbage in the DMS the AI would have to sift through that and make a golden customer file containing everything. that much power in the DMS will never happen from an outside source. The CRM, well it just pulls from the DMS so garbage in and garbage out. What Zenzio.com is doing is not only not a chat bot but an intelligent assistant who communicates to the shoppers on the website without forcing them to give up personal info. why should a customer have to give a name and phone number and email just to ask questions about a car. Additionally Zenzio is capable of ANSWERING LEADS I put that in caps because in every store there is a breakdown on lead handling. Someone (might) answer the lead but use the old school wordage of when can you be here to test drive the car. most times not even answering the question in the lead. THEN, they usually never follow-up again moving forward, whereas Zenzio can follow-up for 45 days or more!

Tekion is a great tool but its still new and there are still large gaps. Drive Centric is the best CRM in the market right now. SO i would say its amazing the tech that's coming out now and I'm excited to watch it grow.
Let's take the AI outbound sales/service phone call use case:

How will the AI know the service history of the vehicle if the customer asks?

How will the AI know the service availability of the customer's preferred service advisor?

How will the AI know the full CRM communication history (and ingest call transcripts) to have an intelligent and informed conversation?

So yes, AI can function without APIs, but you're handcuffed and limited in what you can do. That's why we often end up with half-baked solutions in automotive that have tremendous potential, if only there were open APIs available...

As of today the IONIQ 5 is currently one of the best lease deals I've seen with $14,000 in incentives aka a $51,840 car is $411 a month. The prompt even said ask me about incentives so it's not like I stress tested it with a gotcha question. Not exactly a moment of zen...

1729633926525.png