• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Anyone use Facebook ads and have had success?

Hi everyone. This is my first time on this forum, and I thought this was a perfect thread for me to introduce myself on. I've seen a lot of comments that are spot on, particularly that starting with your current customer list is crucial, and that you definitely want to look into Facebook's offline matchback tool, as that is essential if you want to get real sales attribution for your campaigns.

One thing that surprises me is I haven't seen mention of loyalty campaigns or retargeting campaigns. We have 4 different types of campaigns that dealerships might run at any given time. Our assumption is that it is best to run all of them concurrently, but we don't have the data to prove that out yet.
  • Audience Builder: Drive as much traffic to the dealer's VDPs as possible. For the most part, we let Facebook decide who to market to in the DMA. Mostly we recommend this to independents that have trouble getting enough traffic / sales to have effective Conquest / Retargeting campaigns right out of the gate.
  • Conquest: Get customer data from dealer's DMS, and use that data to get a look alike audience.
  • Loyalty: Using the same customer data from the DMS, find customers in an equity position and target those customers directly with vehicle specials.
  • Retargeting: Use the Facebook pixel installed on dealer's website to serve ads of the same vehicle or a vehicle similar to what the person viewed on the dealer's website.
I'm curious if you think there are any holes in our prospect coverage with our current implementation.

Kevin, good info, thanks for taking the time. I had a couple of questions...how did the loss of Oracle's Audience's affect your model, and how do you pull and process the information from the DMS?

J

Hi Jay:

The third party data/partner data was never something we used. We strictly base our campaigns off first party data, either marketing to the DMS audience for loyalty or using that audience to build a lookalike for conquest. We can still do interest based custom campaigns (did one for military personnel recently), but I saw uneven results at best with the "in market shopper" data.

We're CDK and Reynolds certified, so we can link up with any DMS out there and poll sales and service data historically or daily. For audience creation, we generally work from a historical file...then we poll ongoing sales and service data to create our offline matchback data as well. We report on impressions, clicks, CTR, CPC, number of conversions (either sales or service RO's) and dollar value of those conversions. What's awesome, we can do it in real time basically. We re-create the 28 day window for matchbacks daily off the previous day's polling data.upload_2018-10-24_10-6-37.png

With regards to the original post, I have to say there really isn't anything left but to echo a lot of what was said in a very concise way:
  1. Use the demographic and geographic targeting in Facebook, as well as take behavioral and contextual clues from Analytics, Search Console, and Google Ads to understand what they want to learn or do. Know who they are and how to speak to them. Deliver relevance.
  2. Leverage your CRM because you've spent the time to build the list, so you already should have some brand recognition. Create look-alikes from that list as well. Clean the list either manually or use a smart third-party like ePush.
  3. Test. Test. Test. You should test your graphics, language, headlines, everything. Multivariant testing is important, but don't change everything all at once. Be methodical. Learn what actually makes a difference. If you rush changes, you'll not pinpoint what drove the change.
  4. Measure. Measure. Measure. As everyone has said, there are a number of metrics to look at. When you identify the best performing and worst performing, analyze what their key differences were. Maybe the message was off? Maybe the targeting could've been more refined?

You can yield really good results from Facebook ads.

Reactions: AndrewAutoiPacket
Hello

While we are talking about the advertising, the first platform that comes in marketer's mind is Facebook. I think, most of the Digital Marketer must used Facebook for advertising once and get numerous advantages from there. Facebook ad spy tool comes with several advantages and it changed the whole Facebook advertisement. With the help of it, you can easily spy your competitors ads.