• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Are you optimizing your content for Voice Search?

Alexander Lau

Banned
Feb 11, 2015
First Name
Alex
Are your SEOs and Website Providers doing this for you?

How To Optimize For Voice Search And Siri

https://www.crazyegg.com/blog/optimize-voice-search-siri/

The Definitive Guide to Voice Search: How to Beat Your Competitors to the Punch
https://neilpatel.com/blog/voice-search-success/

We Analyzed 10,000 Google Home Results. Here’s What We Learned About Voice Search SEO
https://backlinko.com/voice-search-seo-study

pasted-image-0-69.png

9 Clouds always has good info...
https://9clouds.com/blog/optimize-content-voice-search/

1. BUILD AN FAQ PAGE (rarely on auto websites)
2. ESTABLISH CORE SEO PRINCIPLES
3. STUDY HIGH-VOLUME SEARCHES

Last edited:
Reactions: Rick Buffkin
I love using voice services like Siri and Google for timers, music remotes, home automation stuff, and informational tidbits. In the case of doing retail transactions, it is more of a "hey blah, call ABC Motors." Or "hey blah, what are the hours of the service department at ABC Motors." All of that information comes from Google my business pages, Yelp or something a business should already be optimizing.

I can see where it could turn into something like "hey blah, how much are lease payments on the new Porsche GT3" down the road. Or, as these things get more advanced, you could ask compounded questions like "how much better gas mileage would I get if I traded my car in for the new Prius."

Premature to be optimizing for these technologies today, in my opinion, but do be cognizant that this is going to improve significantly. For example, Google Home is the only one that can handle double questions/commands. Siri and Alexa require singular/direct commands. This is why Google has replaced Alexa, and I haven't even considered using the HomePod in my Apple-filled house.

I hear you guys, those that are ahead of the game are going to probably sell more cars.

"Used SUV's near me"
"New Honda Pilot near me"
"Where is the closest dealer that has Used Honda vehicles"
"What's the cheapest service provider, my car needs to be inspected"
etc.

------------
  1. “50% of all searches will be voice searches by 2020” according to comscore
  2. “About 30% of searches will be done without a screen by 2020.” via Mediapos
  3. “We estimate there will be 21.4 million smart speakers in the US by 2020” according to Activate
  4. “By 2019, the voice recognition market will be a $601 million industry”, according to a reportfrom Technavio via Skyword.
  5. “This year (2017), 25 million devices will be shipped, bringing the total number of voice-first devices to 33 million in circulation.” based on a new study by VoiceLabs via Mediapost
  6. ““By the end of the year the (Google) Assistant will reach 95 percent of all eligible Android phones worldwide” according to Techcrunch via Alpine.ai
  7. “There are over one billion voice searches per month. (January 2018)” estimates Alpine.AI
  8. “Google voice search queries in 2016 are up 35x over 2008” according to Google trends via Search Engine Watch
  9. “40% of adults now use voice search once per day” according to Location World
  10. “Cortana now has 133 million monthly users” according to Microsoft/Tech Radar
  11. “In May 2016, 1 in 5 searches on an Android app in the USA were through speech” according to KPCB
  12. “25% of 16-24s use voice search on mobile” via Global Web Index
  13. “41% of people using voice search have only started in the last 6 months” according to MindMeld
  14. “60% of people using voice search have started in the last year” according to MindMeld
  15. “11% of people using voice search started more than 3 years ago” according to MindMeld
  16. 19% of people use Siri at least daily. (HubSpot, 2015) (Source: https://www.hubspot.com/marketing-statistics)
  17. “9% of users said that they’ve used AI personal assistants like Siri or Cortana in the past day” according to AYTM
  18. “45% of those who have used AI personal assistants said they’ve used Siri. 33% have used Google Now. 27% used Microsoft’s Cortana. 10% have used Amazon Echo or Alexa.” via AYTM
  19. “1 in 5 online adults have used voice search on their mobile in the last month” via Global Web Index
  20. “37% use Siri, 23% use Microsoft’s Cortana AI, and 19% use Amazon’s Alexa AI at least monthly.” (HubSpot, 2015) (Source: https://www.hubspot.com/marketing-statistics)
  21. “We estimate that 325.8 million people used voice control in the past month” according to Global Web Index (that’s almost 10% of the online population according to Internet Stats).
  22. “We estimate that the retail giant (Amazon) has sold 5.1 million of the smart speakers in the U.S since it launched in 2014” according to CIRP via Geekwire.
  23. “Amazon sold approximately 2 million units in the first nine months of 2016” according to CIRP
  24. “Amazon sold 4.4 million Echo units in its first full year of sales” according to Geek Wire
  25. “25% of searches on Windows 10 taskbar are voice. On desktop!” according to Purna Virji
  26. “Only around a third of smartphone owners use their personal assistants regularly, even though 95% have tried them at some point.” according to Creative Strategies via The Economist
  27. “Only 11% of respondents who already own an Amazon Alexa or Google Home device will also buy a competing device.” via Voicelabs.
  28. “Application growth for Amazon Alexa has been impressive – over 500% in the second half of 2016″ according to Voicelabs.
  29. “Evercore estimates 500,000 Google Home units shipped in 2016” via Bloomberg
  30. “65 percent of people who own an Amazon Echo or Google Home can’t imagine to going back to the days before they had a smart speaker.” via Geomarketing.com
  31. “42 percent say voice-activated devices have quickly become “essential” to their lives. via Geomarketing.com
  32. “The Echo Dot was the best-selling product on all of Amazon in the 2018 holiday season” via Techcrunch
  33. “1 in 2 use voice technology on their smartphone, 1 in 3 voice technology users use voice technology daily.” via ComScore
  34. “47% expect their voice technology usage to increase” via ComScore
  35. ” The number of households in the US with smart speakers has grown 49% in the last 5 months (Jun-Nov 2017)” via ComScore
  36. “Amazon and Google account for 94% of all smart speakers in use” via Strategy Analytics
  37. “Google Home has roughly a 25 percent share of the US smart speaker market.” via Search Engine Land
  38. “56% of online grocery shoppers use or plan to use voice controlled smart assistant/speaker” via Global Web Index
  39. “52% of people keep their voice activated speaker in their common room (e.g family or living room), 25% in bedroom and 22% in their kitchen” via Think with Google
  40. “72% of people who own a voice-activated speaker say their devices are often used as part of teir daily routine.” via Think with Google
  41. “41% say using their voice-activated speaker is like talking to a friend or another person.” via Think with Google
  42. “1 in 4 shoppers used voice assistants in their holiday shopping during the 2017 season.” according to CTA via Hubspot
  43. “Mobile voice-related searches are 3X more likely to be local-based than text” via Search Engine Watch
  44. But “just 13 percent of smart speaker owners use their smart speakers to find a local business” according to an NPR survey via Geomarketing.com
  45. “Home Alone and Elf were the most requested 2016 holiday movies with Alexa.” via Amazon
  46. “Customers use Amazon Echo for many purposes, with one-third using it as an information provider responding to questions and over 40% as an audio speaker for listening to streaming music.” according to CIRP.
  47. “Nearly 50% of people are now using voice search when researching products.” via Social Media Today
  48. “High consumer usage of voice assistants in autos (51%) and household (39%) indicates increased comfort with the technology” – according to Activate via WSJ.
  49. “Google’s AI has been reading nearly 3,000 romance novels in order to improve its conversational search abilities” via Click Hub
  50. ‘Personal assistants’ is the top marketing search of 2016″ according to Bing via Econsultancy
  51. “Voice activated speaker owners would like to receive the following from brands; deals, sales and promos (52%), personalised tips and info (48%), events and activity information (42%), business information such as store location (39%) and customer service support (38%).” via Think with Google
  52. “Voice commerce was a $1.8 billion retail segment in the U.S. in 2017 and $200 million in the U.K. This will rise to $40 billion in the U.S. and $5 billion in the U.K. by the end of 2022” According to OC&C Strategy via Voicebot.ai
  53. “$5bn (£3.6bn) will be spent through voice commerce by 2022 in the UK, representing 3% of online spend.” according to OC&C Strategy.
  54. “Amazon is the dominant force in voice shopping, accounting for c. 90% of all spend.” according to OC&C Strategy.
  55. “One in five consumers (19%) have made a voice purchase through Amazon Echo or another digital home assistant, and another third (33 percent) plan to do so in the next year” according to Walker Sands
  56. “Humans can speak 150 words per minute vs type 40 words per minute” via Katherine Watier
  57. “28% think voice search is a more accurate way of searching” via Katherine Watier
  58. “43% cite that using voice search is quicker than using a website or an app” via Katherine Watier
  59. “42% say that use while driving is a reason for using voice search” Katherine Watier
  60. “21% don’t like typing on their mobile phone and so turn to voice search” via Katherine Watier and Statista, 2015 (Source: https://www.hubspot.com/marketing-statistics)
  61. “82 percent of Amazon Echo smart speaker owners subscribe to Amazon Prime” via Geomarketing.com
  62. “More than two thirds of current owners of Amazon Echo and Google Home smart speakers are planning to buy another smart speaker within the next six months” according to Strategy Analytics

Reactions: ryan.gerardi
Optimizing for voice is a smart approach for large volume dealers or dealer groups investing in digital retailing or equipped to sell to a regional/national audience.

Winning in voice takes consistency over months to years, if you start today. That's often unrealistic for a lot of stores considering "human" churn alone. Often people forget that with voice first devices (ex: Google Home) there's only one result, nobody gets to see or hear #2 and below. That's not often a place agencies want to play on scale.

That said, I can say for a fact that it's possible for dealers to outrank even the auto manufacturers today-- and the increased traffic from that converts into leads and sales for dealers equipped to take advantage of it.

Optimizing for voice is a smart approach for large volume dealers or dealer groups investing in digital retailing or equipped to sell to a regional/national audience.

Winning in voice takes consistency over months to years, if you start today. That's often unrealistic for a lot of stores considering "human" churn alone. Often people forget that with voice first devices (ex: Google Home) there's only one result, nobody gets to see or hear #2 and below. That's not often a place agencies want to play on scale.

That said, I can say for a fact that it's possible for dealers to outrank even the auto manufacturers today-- and the increased traffic from that converts into leads and sales for dealers equipped to take advantage of it.
Nice article, by you...
https://www.flowfound.com/blog/3-alarming-things-you-dont-know-about-voice-search

https://www.gshiftlabs.com/blog/current-shifts-search-engine-optimization-voice-search

Five Tips to Optimize for Voice Search
  1. Identify Your Opportunities
    For most websites, it doesn’t make sense to optimize the entire site for voice search. Instead, identify the areas of your site where it seems most logical to optimize. Think about what voice searchers may be searching for and make sure you have the best information to support those asks.
  2. Answer Questions Directly
    Most voice search queries are direct questions. To capitalize on this, the more you can craft your content in the form of a direct response to a question, the more likely it is to be recognized by voice assistants and search engines as the best result. A great starting point for developing content to respond to questions are Google’s tips for Featured Snippets.
  3. Claim Your Accounts
    Responses from voice assistants need to be highly specific and geographically relevant. One of the best ways to signal location, business details and activity is through Google My Business. If your business is local and you do not have an account, now is the time to set it up, fully configure it and begin maintaining it. This also applies to any social networking accounts.
  4. Be Specific and Hyper Local
    The more detailed you can be about your business or offerings, the better. Make sure to define where and what you are. Voice assistant devices are GPS enabled and know where their users are. Local responses are best.It isn’t enough to be a ‘restaurant in downtown Toronto’. You business is ‘the best brunch spot in Toronto’s west end’. This also applies to citations, directory listings or off-site properties like Google My Business. Be as detailed as possible when defining categories and services offered.
  5. Don’t Ignore Your Meta Data and Rich Snippets
    Search engines are machines and, as such, they prefer to consume content in a structured manner. Make it as easy as possible for search engine bots to crawl, index and understand what your site is about and what content is available. Ensure basic SEO elements like Title Tags, Heading Tags, Meta Descriptions and Image Alt Tags are keyword rich and descriptive. Implement schema/rich snippets to highlight items like addresses, menu items, events, reviews or other structured content.

Greg Giffords of Digital Dealer said recently that we don't necessarily need to change the way we (as car dealers) are optimizing our sites for voice search. I think his reasoning was that many of the voice searches (at least for now) are telling Siri to set reminders, alarms, get phone numbers to places, etc..

I'd bet that an extremely small amount of voice searches are even related to dealerships or automotive in any way (other than something like "What is Buerkle Honda's phone number?") and that our energy could be better spent elsewhere. I think that in the current state of voice search and our industry, focusing your energy on other things will be more effective. Unless you're a 30-store group with F-U money and you'd like to give it a go.

However, I still think its important to pay attention to voice search so that you can prepare for the future. Maybe we'll see an upward swing in its usage or its relevance to our industry and it will make sense to allocate resources to it.

Reactions: Steve Stauning