• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Auto Technologies that force IE & Windows?

Ford / Chrysler and Honda's MFG Portals are always super IE dependent. I think it is their excessive use of the IE only <lame /> tag.

My IE instance is always running the manufactures web portals. Everything else in an alternative browser.

As of about 8 months ago Hyundai wanted you to use IE 5.5 LOL

dealer oriented brand sites are the worst for IE!

Let's compile a list of all the companies that force you to only use a particular browser and operating system.

Please post the ones you know of.

For Example:

• ADP Websuite: Internet Explorer & Windows - versions vary
  • Toyota's Dealer Daily: Internet Explorer
  • XTime: Internet Explorer & Windows
PLEASE - if you are one of these companies being listed, post and tell us what we're doing wrong.

Steve your information is wrong on Xtime, Firefox, Netscape and Safari are also supported in fact firefox is recommended please correct your post

Lets not forget the lazy IT departments that won't allow anything other than IE6 to be run on "their" computers.

It's actually laughable at this point when I hear about browser specific applications and services and on the pathetic side when they are forced.

:)

The problem is advanced web application stuff really requires either HTML5, ActiveX, Flash or Silverlight.... and you can't pick any one of those and have it work in all browsers on all operating systems.

HTML5 works on iPad, Safari and some limited support in FireFox and Google Chome. No support in IE8.
ActiveX only works in IE on a PC
Everything does Flash & Silverlight except the iPad

It is the current browser world we live in unfortunately. To make it worse... HTML5 is not the end all be all future either.