• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Autotrader vs Cars.com Value comparison

Try adding vehicles into the next closest markets with Craigslist and watch your traffic explode. It's tricky but I think I've got it mastered now. I listen very carefully to our Walk-In's. Trust Me Craigslist is killing both Cars and AT. If you guys ever need help
just email me or call anytime.

All – Nick Hummer from Cars.com chiming in. This is a great conversation, and I’ve been really interested to hear what’s working for you, what’s not, and what else you’d like to see from us. I did want to clear up a few inaccuracies relating to how we report on data, and SRPs specifically:

Unless it has changed, SRP's are always higher on Cars.com reporting because they report every time you come up in a search, even if you are on page 10 and the customer doesn't get that far.

This one comes up often, and I suspect it will come up again, but for the record: Cars.com only records an SRP impression for a dealer if that vehicle appears on the page being viewed. This means that if a search returns 10 pages of results, but the user only looks at page 1, the vehicles returned on page 1 will record an impression. The vehicles on page 2 through 10 do not.

About 4 months ago, I was told about a difference of how ATC and cars.com calculates an SRP from our reps... Say you are searching and pull up an SRP, then click on a details page, and then click back to the SRP, cars.com will count this as 2 SRP's, where ATC counts this as 1 SRP because the consumer simply went back to the last page.

This one is correct – it’s true that we count each viewing of an SRP as an impression, and what it came down to for us after much discussion internally is that we feel there’s value to the advertiser in repetition. This is actually a pretty standard practice across most media types, as you probably know. For example, if you buy billboards, the number of impressions your outdoor vendor probably claims for a particular board is usually based on how many times it’s viewed, not by the number of unique viewers. That means if I drive past your billboard four times, I’m counted four times. Forgetting about how that affects the perceived value of your vendor for a minute, you’re receiving a benefit from reinforcing your message with me – you should have some visibility into that. I’m definitely open to your feedback on this approach and am happy to discuss this and our reporting methodology overall with you, so feel free to reach out and we can talk in more detail.

We’re aware that this is a topic that comes up often. For additional information on how we track SRPs or any other metric, we posted some information last year here: Cars.com DealerADvantage » Cars.com Podcast » Cars.com Reporting Methodology. The PDF and the video have similar information, but if you’re watching the video, jump to 1:06 for the explanation on SRPs.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts, and please feel free to call or e-mail me personally if you ever want to share your feedback or discuss anything you’re reading here offline.

Thanks,

Nick Hummer
Director of Local Solutions
312-601-6004
[email protected]

Reactions: 1 person
COuld some one define the acronyms for ZMOT - SRP & VDP. Just want to make sure I'm on the same page...
NP Dan,

FYI:

ZMOT= Zero Moment of Truth- This is a title of a book written by Google's Jim Lecinski. It's a great read, but nothing earth shattering really for us, unless you didn't know that your customers do a little research online before they come to your store. ;) (That way oversimplifies the book, BTW. There is a ton of applicable stuff in there, and a mention of DealerRater by name as well. You should read it ASAP FWIW)

SRP= Search Results Page- ex. list of 2000-2005 accords <$15,000

VDP= Vehicle Details Page- ex.

Need ROI from an invisible source? Ask every sale one question:

Did you shop online at: (check all that apply)
____ AutoTrader.com
____ Cars.com
____ KellyBlueBook.com
____ None of the above

Shoppers are all over the net looking. Whats your best guess of shoppers that chose "none of the above"?

Uncle Joe's IwannaRaise.com, tactic #43

Regarding your survey...

Did you shop online at: (check all that apply)

____ AutoTrader.com
____ Cars.com
____ KellyBlueBook.com
____ None of the above

If you sold 100 units and 90 buyers chose "none of the above" AND you advertise on AT and cars.com...You could unsubscribe and tell the owner you'd like a cut of the savings.

On the other hand...

If you sold 100 units and only 10 buyers chose "none of the above", AND you advertise on AT and cars.com...You could unsubscribe and show the boss how smart you are and ask for a cut of the savings.

Then, 9 months later when the boss is starving and is driving you for more business, you could hold out for a raise to provide a solution. When you have your raise, re-sign back up and watch the cattle come back...

;-)

Last edited:
The simple fact of the matter is that most consumers select the dealership they’re going to do business with online and they do it with little or no interaction with the dealership. In 2005 the average customer shopped 4.1 dealerships when purchasing a vehicle and today a customer visits just 1.3. That means, on average, a customer buys from the first dealership they walk into. What does this mean? They’re selecting the dealership they want to do business online. Joe is correct, "Shoppers are all over the net looking." As much as I love Craigslist, I would never entertain chopping AT, Way too much Traffic. If Your upset over VDP. look to improve Your Pictures, Ads, and price you vehicles to market.

Reactions: 1 person
I honestly think being at the top of AT SRPs is overrated -- not to mention overpriced.

This is my common-sense assessment: who WOULDN'T at least scroll through the 1st page to see what's there?

Im going to advocate that excellent merchandizing is enough, the rest is fluff.