• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
Looks great, I have a few questions:

1 - What's the source? Is this your website alone or with 3rd party & other sources?
2 - Is this everything within the month of June? Or did you close deals pending from months prior?
3 - What brand?

1. Website, social media, and third party

2. Only June deals anything ever marked pending gets counted into that current month

3. Mitsubishi stand alone

That's a lot of touches per day. How long do you keep that intensity going? And how much of it is automated?

That intensity goes for two weeks or the customer replies to us. Once contact has been made we adjust to them. The only thing automated is if they set an appointment they receive our address right away followed by a confirmation text for their appointment a day before the apt.

So 70%-80% of sales for the dealership are coming from your BDC/Internet Department????

How is your BDC structured? (i.e., do you have sales people handling your leads start to finish? BDC/Appointment setters reaching out and then handing off to a sales person?, etc?)

Crazy right! The location for the store is not ideal for a Mitsubishi store. We are literally next to Naples Florida that has the most millionaires per capita. Our market is super sub prime and the owner also owns another Mitsu store that’s right in our target area so we more or less pick up scraps and the people that think we are two separate dealerships. We are tucked away and hidden from the main road and the county doesn’t allow us to really put anything up or out near the road. So we get little to no general foot traffic.

Bdc structure
1 manager (myself)
2 bdc agents
2 cradle the grave
-internet salesmen only
- get 60-70 leads a piece and work them from start to finish

Bdc agents follow up behind them and work all the remaining leads and prior months until they set an appointment. Salesmen don’t get put on the lead until the customer shows up.

Crazy right! The location for the store is not ideal for a Mitsubishi store. We are literally next to Naples Florida that has the most millionaires per capita. Our market is super sub prime and the owner also owns another Mitsu store that’s right in our target area so we more or less pick up scraps and the people that think we are two separate dealerships. We are tucked away and hidden from the main road and the county doesn’t allow us to really put anything up or out near the road. So we get little to no general foot traffic.

Bdc structure
1 manager (myself)
2 bdc agents
2 cradle the grave
-internet salesmen only
- get 60-70 leads a piece and work them from start to finish

Bdc agents follow up behind them and work all the remaining leads and prior months until they set an appointment. Salesmen don’t get put on the lead until the customer shows up.

Awesome! My CEO tells dealerships to try flipping their numbers; instead of having 30% of sales come from a BDC and 70% come from other things, shoot for 70% of sales coming from BDCs by increasing how well you're handling leads and generating digital leads.

That's amazing to see you guys do that!! :rocks:

This brings me back to the question that possibly has no answer, how do the majority of successful internet departments define a bad lead?
If this department is dropping 200+ leads out of 600 per month as bad leads, won't some argue that those non-responsive lead may still be buyers? I understood the target was 10-15%.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking for validation that this is an acceptable approach. I'm planning on revising our entire process to focus on the engaging leads and push the non-responders either to inactive or to an automated workflow.

Ideas? I love this subject.

Reactions: Stevie
This brings me back to the question that possibly has no answer, how do the majority of successful internet departments define a bad lead?
If this department is dropping 200+ leads out of 600 per month as bad leads, won't some argue that those non-responsive lead may still be buyers? I understood the target was 10-15%.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking for validation that this is an acceptable approach. I'm planning on revising our entire process to focus on the engaging leads and push the non-responders either to inactive or to an automated workflow.

For me, in order to really have an honest grasp on what we're doing and how we're performing, I choose the brutally honest approach with my department. I've always viewed a "Bad Lead" as a lead we NEVER had an opportunity with such as bad/fake contact info, Underage, Duplicate, No Intent to buy (this is used when we get leads that are misdirected and not sales leads, i.e., parts, marketing, charity, etc).

If someone isn't interacting with us, that tells me we took the wrong approach and we need to switch gears to engage that customer in our follow up. Don't be afraid to try something different and go against the grain on this - be creative.

Those "non-responders" will remain non-responders forever if they're thrown in a pile and not given thoughtful and deliberate follow up.

Reactions: KYT0715

I agree. For my department a bad lead is someone we never had an opportunity to sell. Some of our lead sources push customers to us based on similar vehicles. So if we make contact and they are have no idea how we got their lead because they are looking for a specific used car....then to me that’s a bad lead since they aren’t interested in anything we have. We have 2 sources that will push up customers for similar vehicles when we don’t have the one they are looking for. For the non responders....chances are if the phone number is bad but the emails still send without a rejection message or failed delivery, it’s probably not their email anyway. So those to me are bad. If those emails are being read however with no response I will send another email asking if I have the right person and most of the time I’ll get a response and 95% of the time it’s the wrong person. For leads that just never respond to calls, text or email.... after two weeks they are a bad lead in my opinion. You never were give. The chance to even sell them.

For me, in order to really have an honest grasp on what we're doing and how we're performing, I choose the brutally honest approach with my department. I've always viewed a "Bad Lead" as a lead we NEVER had an opportunity with such as bad/fake contact info, Underage, Duplicate, No Intent to buy (this is used when we get leads that are misdirected and not sales leads, i.e., parts, marketing, charity, etc).

If someone isn't interacting with us, that tells me we took the wrong approach and we need to switch gears to engage that customer in our follow up. Don't be afraid to try something different and go against the grain on this - be creative.

Those "non-responders" will remain non-responders forever if they're thrown in a pile and not given thoughtful and deliberate follow up.

I agree with this 100% if templates don’t work and we received notification that they are reading the emails, you have to switch it up. However just because the message is read doesn’t mean it’s even the actual person that is interested. I’ve received numerous leads where I get annoyed and straight up ask if I even have the right person and more times then not I’m not even emailing the right person because they just put a random email in and it happened to be a real one. So if In two weeks they can’t respond to anything they are bad leads. We have a process to still attempt to engage them afterwards but they are in the back burner.