• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Big Problem with 2021 Vroom's Super Bowl Commercial

I'm as sick about this as you are. History tells us that right after a commercial is the highest search volume for that company. Vroom has the national spotlight with these ads, but dealers own local. They can't compete there and that's where dealers thrive. You can target a campaign around your unique selling proposition / why buy to go on offense.

Joe Chura does a great job explaining how dealers can play offense here. Just click the "Watch The Video" link.

Sorry @Alexander Oleynik . I wish I would have seen this post earlier to help.

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
Disgusting. Really getting sick and tired of watching feeble, limp companies try to build themselves up on the backs of other established companies. Do it on your own merits or get back in the corner with the rest of the losers.

I don't know how Vroom got their start, but I'd like to add this on...

I'm really getting sick and tired of some company founder who develops the belief car buying is evil or dealers are broken who raises a bunch of money without understanding the real problems. Then they launch something that doesn't work for anyone because it just exacerbates the real problems further.

This isn't only aimed at companies who are trying to compete with dealers directly, but at tech companies who are trying to sell their solutions to dealers too. Maybe we should start a DealerRefresh series on how to recognize these "save the car business with my superior customer experience ideas" tech companies.

If I recall, the co-founder is an ex long-term AutoNation guy.
I believe that's Kevin Westfall, who co-founded Vroom with 2 others. Before Vroom he was a SVP at AutoNation.
One of the other co-founders (Marshall Chesrown) also worked at AutoNation in the 90s, but then he became a land developer and went bankrupt if I'm not mistaken.
The third was the son of Marshall Chesrown the land developer. The three of them started it, but it didn't become "Vroom" until venture capital came in to transform them.

What I don't really understand is the relationship between Vroom and RumbleOn, since Marshall founded and runs RumbleOn, which sounds like a Vroom competitor. I believe Kevin Westfall is also on their Board, but I don't believe they actually share technology with Vroom? Looks like the founders exited Vroom to try again as a technology platform?

1612810998165.png

Another thing I just noticed is Texas Direct says "Powered by Vroom". When did Vroom buy Texas Direct?
In December 2015, the company acquired Texas Direct Auto, a Houston-based company founded in 2002 that is now owned by Vroom but operates as a separate brand.

Reactions: Dan Sayer
:face_with_symbols_on_mouth:
Vroom!

We saw your Superbowl ad and all your other dealer-trashing garbage, Vroom.

The truth is any dealer can beat you. And we have some friends at Cars.com and DealerInspire who are ready to help dealers build a playbook on how to fight back.

Joe Chura was upset about too and has brought his all star bench to RefreshFriday. If you are tired of these predatory advertisers making you look bad, join us at 1:00 PM EST.

RF-2021-Feb-18-CARS-DI.png

Last edited by a moderator:
:face_with_symbols_on_mouth:
Vroom!

We saw your Superbowl ad and all your other dealer-trashing garbage, Vroom.

The truth is any dealer can beat you. And we have some friends at Cars.com and DealerInspire who are ready to help dealers build a playbook on how to fight back.

Joe Chura was upset about too and has brought his all star bench to RefreshFriday. If you are tired of these predatory advertisers making you look bad, join us at 1:00 PM EST.

View attachment 5351
This will be an interesting one. Curious to see if the proposed solutions to fight back are technology or culture shift or both. Every single person on the multiple in-market focus groups we ran in 2019 said nothing about the websites or the marketing or the technology provided. It was all about the interaction with the sales team and the experience in the store. Looking forward to this one!