• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Biggest Takeaways from #NADA2014

I can email you a pdf of the powerpoint (it is too large with the videos), I believe NADA is making it available on video

Kevin, thanks for sharing. I'm certain that this was well received. Like most good presentations, much of it is common sense. Unfortunately, common sense is usually not that common.

One of your graphs shows that 22% of customers submitted a lead and 62% of customers shopped online. On average, customers shopped only 1.3 dealerships. I would guess that nearly all of your customers visited your website.

1. Adaptive designed websites. I was really surprised to see so many platforms offer this feature as quick as they have. I really thought many would struggle getting their existing platform to offer a smooth adaptive design feature. I stand corrected. A few that I had the time to checkout included (but not limited to): ADP/Cobalt, Dealer.com, DealerFire, DealerOn, Dominion (one of the first to offer).
I'm offended that you don't mention Car Dealer Websites | Auto Dealer Websites | SEO | Internet Marketing or Custom Auto Dealer Websites | Dealer Digital Marketing | Web Design when both had fully mobile adaptive websites LAST year (that was our 2013 NADA announcement).

I can't tell you the number of Internet Sales Managers I talked to expressing interest in more intuitive ways to categorize lead types. As in, if the first response email said that they were looking for this kind of vehicle, and were shopping by price, then all proceeding conversations should fit that design.
That's very interesting Cody. Can you expand a bit on this?
Is the problem the ISMs are experiencing that they felt their sales interactions with customers weren't sufficiently targeted at that customer's requirements? Is this something that their current sales processes and/or CRM systems are not taking into account?

That's very interesting Cody. Can you expand a bit on this?
Is the problem the ISMs are experiencing that they felt their sales interactions with customers weren't sufficiently targeted at that customer's requirements? Is this something that their current sales processes and/or CRM systems are not taking into account?

Prepare for me treading softly, as this isn't my expertise. This is just what was communicated to me at the conference from multiple CRM vendor clients. Also, this is getting way into the land of what ifs, and may be unfounded.

Anyway...

What makes an Internet Salesperson so valuable is their ability to know when to drop their standard followup process, and utilize their own. That's because no two deals are the same. So, why only utilize a cookie cutter approach in your CRM?

Now, I'm sure there are Internet Salespeople out there who have several different followup processes, and that's great. However, what if the CRM itself was able to analyze the communication that you have been having with your customer, and offer suggestions on what kind of followup to plan for in the future?

If a person says that they are only really available after 5p for phone calls, then the crm adjusts its process to only assign phone tasks for that customer for after 5p.

If a person did come in for a demo, test drove three vehicles, but didn't buy, then they may get a followup process talking about the intake of similar vehicles. "Hey Don, I know you test drove the Blue and Black Honda Accord, but we just got in a red one that you might like." Obviously, something much better than this, but you can kind of get an idea of what I mean.

This discussion was had during libations, so it could be crazy talk. Still, I think there is room for CRMs to offer suggestions for improved follow up processes based on the Notes, Emails and Visits made by the salesperson and customer.

Reactions: 1 person
From the looks and size of the booths, I took away that the automotive industry is alive and well. We also picked up a CRM and a new DMS. I also took away that key machines are quite expensive and there still is not a very good solution for securing Nissan intelligent keys.

We had a very good show, we took a space right between ADP and RR and it was interesting having people leaving those booths and stopping to talk with us. Also seeing people very red faced as they talked in those booths. Had a very good time and hate that I did not get to meet anyone from the boards but I was very busy.

Enjoy it from the dealer and consultant level.. :) The vendor side leaves little time for catching up and checking out the different vendors and services.

:iagree: the vendor side is no joke. It is waaaaay fun but lots and lots of work. Aside from catching up with a small handful of friends, a bunch of clients, and getting to know my future coworkers a little better I was pretty stoked to hear the Black Crows play longer than they were contracted for!

For me, 2014 was the most legendary NADA I've been to yet. The business done there blew my expectations out of the water multiple times.