• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Breaking Up with a Vendor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me first say how much I value the auto industry information posted on this site. The forums and insight always make for great conversation when discussing my marketing strategy. Let me also say how excited I am you posted this! I was under the impression you were an intelligent business man (wait, do they actually exists?) and I looked forward to reading your thoughts! However, I was fooled and you're now unfollowed. Not by one person but several. I didn't see your post first, it was shared on a company email thread by offended people in the industry who work for large companies. Companies that, like me, valued your words and would share them with others. Companies that give you a JOB and something to write about.

As a marketing consultant, not only do I "give good phone" but I give damn good results. Results that men, with your mindsets pay thousands each month for [you guys are totally whipped]. Most of the time, however, it takes way longer than it should to deliver these results because I work with narrow minded, inexperienced men like you. Men that do not have an advertising degree [like I do] and try to run their business on their own but are incapable of doing so. Bless their hearts. Once they finally realize they can't, they call me. I breakdown SEO/SEM, google analytics and online advertising like I would to a kindergartner hoping they will grasp at least a fraction of the concept. But they don't [sigh]. I even use pictures for you guys thinking it would help! Nothing. Although I make more money than most GMs or internet managers, I get exhausted having to dumb things down for men all the time!

PSA- All incompetent men that try to run their online advertising/BDC PLEASEEEE break up with your consultants!! Seriously! It's makes our job 10x easier, we won't feel like preschool teachers anymore, and it makes more room for business men that actually know what they're doing.

Jeff, your witty words and informative posts once stood a chance in the online forum community but now that you insulted 75% of the people that make this blog possible, I don't see that happening.

I'm sure we'll see your name again- "Bloggers that once made an impact then Tanked: Where are They Now". Maybe you're just not cut out for writing, honey.

And Jeff, you're right- it's not us, it's 100% YOU.

Wow. Someone got their underwear in a bunch while missing the whole point of my post. Almost as if they were sitting behind the wall just waiting for a reason to pounce.

75%? :thinker:

@Carqueen ?? Get off your soapbox and fill in your full profile. That's what a professional would do. Thanks for the drama though, we needed some of that.

UPDATE: Carqueen deleted their comment, causing some confusion.

Well I must say I enjoyed this particular article so much I had to chime in. (yes Jeff, surprising huh?) I will brag I do have a stellar "Radio Voice" while "Giving Good Phone" day in and day out. Yes it sure does get a bit exhausting but hey I get the job done.

Since moving from the Dealership side of the business to the Vendor world, I can surely see the difficulties the client has when having to break up with the vendor. (Excellent relationship, always available, very helpful and so on) and of course that amazing "Radio Voice" you are departing with. At times I have clients that are too scared to contact me directly to cut ties but that is ok, as it wasn't me they wanted to break up with.

After reading some of these post.... actually just one & I think you know which one I am talking about. I am set back a bit. Shoot, Jeff, you remember calling me back in the day when you still drove your VW while I worked at KIA? I honestly think you were just soaking up information from me, kidding. Its not if you are male or female as what that recent comment seemed to go unhinged on however its about how good you are! You proved it and I must say I did as well.

I fully understand the point of this article and the difficulties but we all must move on and explore other vendors, options etc. It's a struggle for clients to part ways.

There are at times when Vendor / Client Relations overlook the professional part of business and get too personal. Maybe that is why it was a struggle to let go? You surely don't want to be walking around all day in the office feeling "Damn, it feels like a one night stand gone bad....?"

Note: this popcorn actually tastes great today.....

Last edited:
As someone on the vendor side of things I have been broken up with in the past. As someone who is passionate (and I would like to think very good) at what they do I will admit I was hurt. I took it very personal but after a few days the sting hurts less and less. I need to work on my good "phone" skills I think lol. Worst part, the dealer broke up with me over text! I was at the dealership the week before and knew it might be coming. Like a bad relationship though I was just strung along over the weekend and into the week being told in person they weren't sure which way they were going. Then I got the text lol. All well that ends well ;)

@Carqueen We work in an industry filled with compliments, comments and cocky folks. Find the fun in each day and make shit happen regardless of the noise around you.

@Jeff Kershner breaking up is hard to do, isn't it? Maybe that vendor was pointing out what you wanted to hear, maybe you really were having doubts about canceling...Maybe, you're just great at giving second chances and they'll shape up.

PSA- All incompetent men that try to run their online advertising/BDC PLEASEEEE break up with your consultants!! Seriously! It's makes our job 10x easier, we won't feel like preschool teachers anymore, and it makes more room for business men that actually know what they're doing.

Wow, do you think preschool teachers feel the same way about kids too?

I've worked in various industries and can tell you that just because you might think you know a thing or two about a thing or two doesn't automatically make it so for everyone else in the world.

It doesn't matter what industry you're in, we all have bosses and it's always going to get to a point where you need to give it to someone in "pigs and bunnies". Being able to explain a complicated thing in an easy to understand way is a trait of a knowledgable and skilled person.

Trust me, you don't want to deal with smart business men because all we like to do is rip things to shreds, question everything and expose all the flaws.

It is hard indeed. I had to break up my relationship with our current PPC company last week. I really enjoyed working with my rep, he was like a close coworker or even a friend. Unfortunately, the company he is working for is going through a rough patch and they were not able to accomplished a few task in a timely manner, which ultimately was hurting our dealership. Now looking for a new vendor, and it's even harder because everybody I talk to is "top of the line" lol

I had to “break up” with a vendor recently. The recipient of the “Dear Jane” call... she sounded young and cute. By the end of the call, I was ready to say, “No, baby…listen: It’s not you, it’s me.”

When I hung up, I thought – Damn! I’m a businessman. That shouldn’t have been SO hard!

I haven’t had the chance to research further, but maybe she a has a face for radio, but she SOUNDED so nice!

In this business, we all know that "good phone" can get you far. You draw more bees with honey, right? But sometimes you have to break ties with a vendor. For whatever reason, it happens. This particular call made me question, “Is it better or worse when they give good phone?”

When was the last time Breaking up with a vendor was so hard?

What's the reason for the breakup? Is it because the vendor is behind the curve and not providing value? Someone has a better mousetrap? Are they being blamed for failure that has nothing to do with them?

So the BIG question, @Jeff Kershner , did you pull the trigger and cancel?

Yes, I still pulled the trigger. Despite the excellent phone skills, I (my dealership) was already working with a provider that had the same features, plus a few other features that I was looking to incorporate. The provider that I broke up with has a great product but didn't provide some of the services and features I needed in order to move our merchandising in the direction I want to go.

Side note: I can't believe I've been contacted several times directly, asking me to remove this post due to its "sensitivity." :shakehd: :baby:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.