• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Can anyone sell new cars this cheap?

I hate to see people get taken advantage of. I had to walk a customer through the fine print of an email that she had received from a competing northern OH dealer that was advertising $2500 over KBB on all trades. It's unfortunate that people actually fall for this kind of stuff. This woman was ready to drive for hours to pursue this "overstock sale". The fine pricing ended up reading "up to" 2500 and "based on KBB fair value". I always thought these mailers were a waste of money because people today aren't dumb enough to fall for that stuff, and the ones that are will only be pissed when they find out it's not real. Seems like nothing but bad publicity to me. Maybe everything works differently in FL...

There is always the one odd duck like ewalraven said that you may buy for a great discount.

I saw a 4x2 Jeep Wrangler (in WA state) with no top (no top period) manual and skinny wheels. It was a lot cheaper than a regualr Jeep would be BUT...
The "one odd duck" is a bait car. Yep, for the bait and switch. I know. I've done it. It was a lot of years ago and I like to think I wouldn't do it today.

I would send a High Top conversion van to a large dealer - no rear seat, no TV, no running boards and a tape package that didn't match the color of the van. After it had served it's purpose it would get pulled into the shop, a rear seat, TV and running boards would be installed, the tape would be stripped and the correct colors would be applied and after a few hours... brand new van!

Yago, you recently took someone to task on these very pages for making a joke regarding consumer PERCEPTION of dealers. You almost seem to be condoning the actual BAD PRACTICES of the dealer you mention.

CarFox ads aren't the reason consumers think poorly of us all - dealers like this are. A small minority, yes, but until we start condemning their actions, this is how consumers will view our industry.

A small minority, yes, but until we start condemning their actions, this is how consumers will view our industry.

My thoughts exactly. This business won't change for the better until customers truely understand the business. Customers go to all of these 3rd party site because they are scared. Not everyone wants to rape the dealers, most folks just want to know what the hell is going on. They are seeking infomation. They want to understand us. This business has gotten more confusing over the years. Why are we letting 3rd party companies tell our story? It's time we tell our story.

This is why I am currently writing "Confusions of a Car Salesmen" . It's half tell all, half car buying guide. It is less focused on industry bashing than the 2001 edmunds piece. The focus is clarity + solutions for the industry and purchase process.

Not sure if I can put it on my website, But I'll probably email it as a buying guide to leads. Hopefully It's going to jam up the beltway bandits a bit. It would obviously help build rapport. There really is no downside, how can people use it against me if I wrote it? That's my logic.

Reactions: 1 person
The "one odd duck" is a bait car. Yep, for the bait and switch. I know. I've done it. It was a lot of years ago and I like to think I wouldn't do it today.

I would send a High Top conversion van to a large dealer - no rear seat, no TV, no running boards and a tape package that didn't match the color of the van. After it had served it's purpose it would get pulled into the shop, a rear seat, TV and running boards would be installed, the tape would be stripped and the correct colors would be applied and after a few hours... brand new van!

Yago, you recently took someone to task on these very pages for making a joke regarding consumer PERCEPTION of dealers. You almost seem to be condoning the actual BAD PRACTICES of the dealer you mention.

CarFox ads aren't the reason consumers think poorly of us all - dealers like this are. A small minority, yes, but until we start condemning their actions, this is how consumers will view our industry.

I wasn't condoning but exemplifying other bad practices but you are correct I should have explained that is bait and switch, I practice I don't condone.

Got lazy, didn't explain all the way, got caught in my own trap.

It's a real deal. It has to be. It's on the internet! ....along with a video of a guy that died and met Jesus. He was brought back to life to tell the story. Don't forget "Sally and her Pony"...not something you want the kids to watch.

John and Blake, don't google Sally, I made that part up.

There's a Hyundai dealer around me that advertises 30% off dealer posted price on every new Hyundai.

Dealer posted price. Not factory MSRP.

New Elantra GLS: $18,950
Pinstripe: $1295
Door Edge Guards: $1295
Fabric Sealant: $1295
Enviromental Protection Package: $1295
Market Adjustment: $2995
Dealer Posted Price: $27,125

70% of that is $18,987.50

There's a Hyundai dealer around me that advertises 30% off dealer posted price on every new Hyundai.

Dealer posted price. Not factory MSRP.

New Elantra GLS: $18,950
Pinstripe: $1295
Door Edge Guards: $1295
Fabric Sealant: $1295
Enviromental Protection Package: $1295
Market Adjustment: $2995
Dealer Posted Price: $27,125

70% of that is $18,987.50

How are dealers like this still in business? Who falls for that stuff these days? It's like those radio ads that say, "The next 50 callers will get 10% off, so call now!" The commercial runs all day, all week, all month. Anyone who actually thinks they get something special for calling "now" deserves everything they get. Am I being overly cynical here, or is the nonsensical advertising at an all time high these days?

How are dealers like this still in business? Who falls for that stuff these days? It's like those radio ads that say, "The next 50 callers will get 10% off, so call now!" The commercial runs all day, all week, all month. Anyone who actually thinks they get something special for calling "now" deserves everything they get. Am I being overly cynical here, or is the nonsensical advertising at an all time high these days?

I have never condoned jicky advertising but I understand why dealerships continue to use it. They do it because, in the short run, it works.

We give consumers way too much credit. I hear, over and over, that they are more knowledgeable and better informed. This country voted Obama as President and spends over $2 billion a year on sex toys. I don’t need sex toys, I was born with twelve (on a quick count). Let me move next door to one of these idiots, and I could own them.

We need to look at consumers as red eyed rats that fall for the same jick over and over. Unlike the general population, car people can make decisions. I don’t deny the statistic that the average consumer spends 17 to 19 hours doing the research on their next car purchase. I just don’t know a car guy that would invest that much time.

Most of us just want a level playing field. The best model is Louisiana. They have a Motor Vehicle Commission with teeth. The commission is made up of dealers that are voted in by the new car dealer association. They have enforcement in every market that reviews all forms of dealership advertising. If you get brought in to the commission, you are looking at serious penalties and you won’t be able to blow smoke up anyone’s skirt.

Most of us just want a level playing field. The best model is Louisiana. They have a Motor Vehicle Commission with teeth. The commission is made up of dealers that are voted in by the new car dealer association. They have enforcement in every market that reviews all forms of dealership advertising. If you get brought in to the commission, you are looking at serious penalties and you won’t be able to blow smoke up anyone’s skirt.

I don't care about a level playing field as much as I don't like to be judged based on the dealers that still treat people like fools. Maybe we do give the customer too much credit, but I think it's more advantageous to assume the customer isn't an idiot, and miss a couple homeruns, than it is to assume they're all fools and come with the "30% Off Every New Car" approach. It takes soooo much longer to get a good reputation back than it does to screw it up. I've worked for companies chasing this redemption, and some people will absolutely never come back to a place that acts this way. Going back to KCAR's post about standing out... this isn't how you do it...