• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
CarMax has established a brand of trust with their shoppers so they could show them a hand-written note with a history and the shopper would probably still be fine.

You might be surprised to hear this but there were always a bunch of customer objections to Autocheck. So much so they had specific training on the difference, all new salespeople were required to take. I got called on to speak with customers at least a few times a week about Autocheck. We educated them on the difference, recommended they can run a Carfax if they choose, and it was never an issue. It would have been 50x easier for them to use Carfax but through training and presentation we were able to build enough value to make it a non-issue.

@BillKVMotorCo I'm not sure how I feel about this :rofl:

You might be surprised to hear this but there were always a bunch of customer objections to Autocheck. So much so they had specific training on the difference, all new salespeople were required to take. I got called on to speak with customers at least a few times a week about Autocheck. We educated them on the difference, recommended they can run a Carfax if they choose, and it was never an issue. It would have been 50x easier for them to use Carfax but through training and presentation we were able to build enough value to make it a non-issue.

@BillKVMotorCo I'm not sure how I feel about this :rofl:
I'm not surprised. Am I surprised that a successful used retail department has a process and training that aligns with their goals? As well as allows them to use a less expensive solution and minimize or eliminate the potential negative impact with the shopper? No. Our main driver was the variance in thoroughness of reporting. That and our total cost for reports with CarFax wasn't that much more than AutoCheck and the path to their listings included the reporting.
Carmax uses Autocheck. Enough said.

Sorry @BillKVMotorCo, I thought that was your comment. I was objecting to our accepting another company's use of a vendor/solution as a qualifier for other dealers. If AutoCheck called me today and said, "Carmax uses us", my first comment would be why does that matter? I hate vendors that name drop for the purpose of thinking it removes any objections I may have as to why we couldn't see the same results when there are dozens of other factors of success. This is my entire argument about 20Group best ideas and vendors that use "they're killing it using our solution." That is all. I'm just laying out why we use CarFax and the success of their listing sites for our region.

irrelevant interruption: Google would know!

I haven't tried looking but there are some sights that provide insights on some of the data that google collects. One site name is "Search the Public" (or something like this, it's a guy named Patel that does those horrid pictures from ladders. The other that might be useful is hrefs.

Both fo these are SEO applications. I just don't know how localized their data is.