• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

CarGurus - Dealer Website Badge

DrewAment

Boss
Apr 30, 2009
Awards
First Name
Drew
Has anyone done any research or looking into on what exactly this badge does?? Is is really just an image on the website SRP/VDP? Or is CarGurus using this for something more??

A few thoughts/questions ...

1. Why would you brand a 3rd party website on your own dealer website?

2. Anytime a venders asks to install code, I get wonky. What exactly does it do? Why? What Benefit?

Has anyone done any research or looking into on what exactly this badge does?? Is is really just an image on the website SRP/VDP? Or is CarGurus using this for something more??

A few thoughts/questions ...

1. Why would you brand a 3rd party website on your own dealer website?

2. Anytime a venders asks to install code, I get wonky. What exactly does it do? Why? What Benefit?

1. Cargurus has built a very strong consumer-facing brand by using modern technology. You can set up the badge to only show for vehicles that are a GOOD or GREAT price so you are not degrading the value of vehicles that are priced at a less than stellar price. The badge brings a 3rd party validation to your vehicle which can be a perk but be wary of consumers wanting to negotiate on vehicles that do not show the badge. I recommend only putting the badge on your VDP and not on the SRP because of this reason.

2. Reading through their Javascript file it appears that they are sending data to a single endpoint to get a response of the badge rating. That being said, when the consumer clicks on the badge it does direct them to the CarGurus domain with your VDP listing, at which point they are tagging the consumer for use in their remarketing products.

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 10.58.23 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-12-18 at 11.00.50 AM.png

I just don't understand why I should want to post a link to competing dealers and competing inventory.

I really don't understand why I should want to post a link to a site that will then re-market competitive vehicles to my website visitor.

Maybe I am being short sighted here and don't understand it well enough. That is certainly possible.

Reactions: Chance Mayfield
I just don't understand why I should want to post a link to competing dealers and competing inventory.

I really don't understand why I should want to post a link to a site that will then re-market competitive vehicles to my website visitor.

Maybe I am being short sighted here and don't understand it well enough. That is certainly possible.
Not shortsighted, and you understand it better than most.

Reactions: Chance Mayfield
The badge is actually a good idea because it solves a key psychological issue for used car shoppers - letting them know if they are getting a good deal. Plus, it gives 3rd party confirmation vs just the dealer's word.

I helped CarGurus build this badge four years ago when we opened our used car group. The badge we used didn't link off our dealership's site. It opened another window with more detailed pricing info. (If your badge links off the site, simply remove the link - that's not smart.)

Last edited: