• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Cars.com Followup Emails With Other Dealers Inventory

Doug,

You argue the validity of the project as if I was a proponent of it. I'm not.

I'm a proponent of what just happened: Cars.com explains--you present a counterargument--we decide whether this is worth it or not.

My argument all along has been that we are pulling the trigger on vendors without asking the right questions.

My argument all along has been that we are pulling the trigger on vendors without asking the right questions.

Yago, Again, nobody is explaining why Cars.com is pushing dealer inventory to TrueCar and God knows who else. Tell me how this figures into some kind of "R&D"? How does a dealer, that refuses to do business with these people (TrueCar), benefit? What is the "right question"?

Cars.com out this piece out:

Why Cars.com Engages Shoppers Beyond the Lead | Cars.com DealerADvantage

Keith Shetterly said in a different discussion:

• "First, I don't understand how every strong reaction to possible mis-behavior of a vendor (or just a bad decision) so often ends up with somebody painting it with "go ahead, be stupid and cancel" or "you just don't understand the value of the vendor". Canceling isn't a valid reaction with such a large vendor, and I don't think Jim's points require that reaction. Just wanting what he perceives (and I agree) is the right thing done. And, anyway, what is the value of doing the right thing? That the right thing is done. That's it. Simple.

And so a relationship prospers from doing the right thing. I don't care that it might be a small thing in the scheme of things, or that there are other data points."

Cars.com out this piece out:

Why Cars.com Engages Shoppers Beyond the Lead | Cars.com DealerADvantage

Keith Shetterly said in a different discussion:

• "First, I don't understand how every strong reaction to possible mis-behavior of a vendor (or just a bad decision) so often ends up with somebody painting it with "go ahead, be stupid and cancel" or "you just don't understand the value of the vendor". Canceling isn't a valid reaction with such a large vendor, and I don't think Jim's points require that reaction. Just wanting what he perceives (and I agree) is the right thing done. And, anyway, what is the value of doing the right thing? That the right thing is done. That's it. Simple.

And so a relationship prospers from doing the right thing. I don't care that it might be a small thing in the scheme of things, or that there are other data points."

Keith and I are friends. We have a great deal in common and usually think very much alike. If I needed a temporary BDC, that is who I would call. That being said, he obvously doesn't think much of what Cars.com is doing, either.

Don't lose sight of the fact that I have always been a strong supporter of Cars.com on DealerRefresh. When I was at a dealership, I purchased every product they offered.

If Cars.com thought this was a positive thing, why didn't they announce it, in advance, and roll it out like they were proud of it? They still have ignored the issue of sending dealer inventories to TrueCar which I find totally unacceptable.

Obviously, Cars has to be frustrated by the lack of proper engagement from the dealers.

I've heard that argument being put forth elsewhere and I don't buy it. We never hear about the newspaper, TV or radio stations complaining about our lack of followup or engagement. They just want us to keep advertising with them, and keep writing them checks. Why should Cars.com care what we do with our customers as long as we keep writing them checks?

Perhaps they need another model, one that has the consumer writing them the checks?

Or alternatively, maybe they should have it in their contract with the dealers that they will stop publishing a dealer's inventory if they don't properly engage with the customer? Something tells me they won't do that. ;)

So not that's it's "over" I guess I can break the gag order my dealer placed on me. Last week we had a customer send in a lead and during the first call we were told "I saw your car in an email from Cars.com and even though you're over an hour away, that's just the car I want and a way better price." Sold and Rolled

Still not a fan the idea they didn't do this above board but I would like the thank Linda for being so responsive.

Not that this is the right thing but in Cars.com defense a business has to be set up the way is convenient for customers, otherwise they just stop coming and using the website.

I don't know if showing "other market alternatives" in the emails is good or not but it would be great is Cars.com will share here why they are doing this.

Is simply a way to claim more VDP views or is there a valid reason? Does this create more interactions with the customers?

Yago,
Correct they need to setup a business that is convenient for customers. What customer tho?? The Paying or Nonpaying? The paying customer deserves some loyalty. Without our paid inventory they don’t exist. You want to provide the best value for your nonpaying customers stop charging dealers. Allow them to up load their inventory at no cost. Create a way to make your site monetary from the customers coming to your site and now the dealers will have no real reason to complain. IMO this is no different than me paying carfax to make commercials about dealers being shady.

Why would we want another company sending emails to our potential clients? So I’m going to email them, my manager is going to email them, I’m going to call them, my bdc is going to call/email them, and now cars.com will be following up w/ them. And when they send these emails (which looks like a PPC campaign for everyone else but me) the manner in which my dealership is mentioned is bs. I’m called the seller in the opening line and then right above my photo you list my dealer name and info but it does not even pop out.

The only valid reason I can see for this (outside of consumer confusion) is for more VDP!!! I already don’t believe in your VDP. We have already been w/o autotrader for 5 months and have not seen a decrease in sales. I’m willing to bet I can stop doing business w/ cars and re-invest in our sem program and see better results.

Last edited: