• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Cash for Clunkers

.....My real point is, I think the manufacturers should take a lesson from this and consider taking a monetary approach with their incentives.

Instead of saying '$1000 off for EVERYONE until a specific date' say '$1000 until this much money runs out.' Wouldn't that be better for their budgeting anyway?

It would certainly create some urgency.

-Bobby

oooo.... :woohoo:Dogbert smacks on over the fence and the crowd cheers!!!

Anyone try calling the help line yet? Just got the message, due to high call volume, voicemail has been disabled, if you would like to continue to hold, please stay on the line...which the system then promptly hung up on me :)

Reason for my call was I got the following email message :

Error

Failed to create invoice. A fatal error occurred while committing this transaction to the database. Please contact our Accounts Payable department so we can notify our system administrator

Anyone else see that error yet?

Edit : Don't know if this is a repost, but I just found this email address for tech related questions pertaining to invoice submissions : [email protected]

I sent them a question and they responded within 5 minutes!

Last edited:
Based on what I've seen and heard, I wouldn't doubt if that additional 2 billion hasn't already been used or is close to being used up. Nobody can file on that website the transactions that have already occurred. They need to suspend the whole thing for at least a couple weeks so the dealers can get paid what is already owed to them and restock. The dealer I was at today was almost completely out of Ford Escapes, Fusions, and Focuses. Cleared out his whole lot thanks to the program and is turning away potential customers.

Maybe this can help everyone. Mike posted this in some other places:

An Important Message To Anyone Submitting Transactions to the CARS Program

Posted by Mike Warwick on August 1, 2009 at 3:04pm

If you are having difficulty submitting transactions because the system freezes and kicks you out, follow this procedure:

Scan all documents and save to your desktop in a folder under the customer's name

1) Enter all invoice information and hit NEXT, do not add attachments
2) Save the invoice using the SAVE feature at the bottom of the page
3) Do not attach the addendums until you save the invoice
4) Add attachments one at a time and hit APPLY after each attachment
5) When all attachments have been added, hit SUBMIT

Adding all of the attachments at once causes the system to freeze and time out because the file size is too big.

I figured this out while on the verge of a nervous breakdown. I hope it helps : )

HAS ANYONE HAD A DEAL FUNDED? Watched congress debate the infusion of cash for C.A.R.S. last night on C-Span. Great points made. Great job selling 250,000 cars in six days! Looks like it will be left up to us to pull the country out of this funk one car at a time. Keep the money flowing senate.

Now we're starting to get lots of rejections. They don't like our attachments. One deal we put the title front and back on the same PDF attachment and they rejected it :shakehd:

While I'm here, you should all read this article by Cliff Banks at Wards: No Vote on More Cash-for-Clunkers Funding is Declaration of War on Small Business - I love it!

Now we're starting to get lots of rejections. They don't like our attachments. One deal we put the title front and back on the same PDF attachment and they rejected it :shakehd:

While I'm here, you should all read this article by Cliff Banks at Wards: No Vote on More Cash-for-Clunkers Funding is Declaration of War on Small Business - I love it!

this is the question
"I have a question. I’ve been having a problem with uploading attachments for the invoice. Can I combine those pdf’s into one file so there’s less error in uploading? Thanks!"
response from Cars

Subject: Re: CARS question

yes, you can. just make the file as small as possible

Thanks,

CARS Dealer Registration Team

^ looks like I will need to save that email
:dunno:

Cash For Clunkers deals are being honored by the government as long as they're written by Midnight tonight, correct?

Not sure, I can't find anything concrete stating this. NADA is saying Dealers could be at risk. We are looking at the deals before we make a decision. I am sure we will get our money but this could take awhile. Kind of worried after Alex's update.