• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Cold Calling Craigslist

I haven't tried this on Craigslist but I did (years ago) call For Sale By Owners out of the paper. You're not going to sell everyone or even get an appointment on every call but I commend you on thinking outside the box. I had a little success with it.

The conversation should always be orientied around THEIR car and your dealer's interest in it. You should be getting them excited that their car is valuable and they have the exact car your dealer needs or that you have a customer looking for a XXX. It doesn't matter what kind of car their car is, the goal is to set an appointment to get them into the dealership and show them you are excited to have the opportunity to purchase their car.

What I would typically say would be something like:

"Used car inventory is low or depleted, etc.. My pre-owned manager is offering premium price/top dollar for pre-owned vehicles right now, especially on a vehicle like yours... What time can you bring it by so that I can have my appriaiser evaluate it? We can cut you a check right here.

After you've set the appointment: By the way, what are you planning on replacing your XXX with? Great! While you're here I'd like to take a few minutes to show you some new XXX. We have some very aggressive incentives on new XXX right now... I'm thinking we can lower your monthly payments by cashing in on the current demand for your XXX and taking advantage of our manufacturers lease offers, rebates, interest rates... what do you think?

Matthew,

I've heard quite a bot about this and Casey is totally right.

If you call people that want to sell their car to buy their car, keep it that way. Listen, take notes, then tell them that it sounds good but you need to see the car to give them a firm offer (they wouldn't buy a car from you sight unseen either).

When they come you can get the rest of the story: "do you own the car", "are you upside down", 'they thought they can get more money that way", etc and try to put together a deal.

From time to time you will come across cars that are just good for the dealer to buy.

To do this, you need the UCM to work closely with you when you bring these people in.

Flosho;

I would disagree that who buys the car makes any difference.

The owner still gets the money and sells the car. There is no stip on CL that a biz can't buy a car. As a matter of fact, as a small biz owner I frequently buy things thru my biz.

I believe that "commercial" interest refers to you offering a 'broker selling service', or a photo service to sell the cars, etc.

Here is a script you can use:

The “Private Vehicle For Sale” Call

“Is (customer’s first name) there?” OR “Is the owner of the (year, make, model) there?”
“I hope I am not getting you at a bad time?”
“This is (your full name) from (your dealership name) and there are two reasons for my call. First, I wanted to find out if your (year, make, model) is still available for sale?”
[if vehicle still available for sale, continue with the following]
“That’s great news. Now the second reason I am calling is to inform you that our Pre-owned Director is currently looking for good quality pre-owned vehicles, cars just like yours. The demand for pre-owned like yours is very high right now.”
“Normally we have to shop the local and national markets have to pay above market value for these vehicles. As a member of our local community, we would much rather offer you above market value. Is this something you might be interested in?”
[customer will usually respond with one of four responses]
“Yes”
“No”
“Maybe”
“How much is my vehicle worth?”
[respond with the following]
“That’s a great question, when is the last time you had your vehicle professionally appraised?”
[wait for response]
“That’s probably where we should start. We have a team standing by available and exclusively for this effort. Speaking of availability, when are you more available? Now or later today?”
[continue with selling the appointment, handling objections, driving towards closure and directions to the dealership]