Consulting at a super high volume Indy...

Mar 18, 2021
First Name
Dennis
Since the start of the month I’ve been BDC consulting at a monster of an Indy. They’ve been in business for 12 years and use a “Wholesale to the public” business model.

1 nonnegotiable price.

They sell a lot of Lemon/Buy-Backs which means their listings will consistently be in the top 10 when a consumer filters by “lowest price” on 3rd party websites. I’m talking super low mileage and super CLEAN vehicles. And for the most part they were “Lemons” because of something silly. (Window shade didn’t lock. Check engine wouldn’t go off. Etc.) And they’ve been repaired perfectly.

A brief glance at monthly averages:

1,250 to 1,500 vehicles in stock.

5,000 incoming leads.
1,000 phone ups.
600 to 700 vehicles sold monthly.
Website was at 80k web sessions MTD when I checked last week.

When dealing with a stats like that...benchmarks are rendered useless.

When attempting to evaluate performance metrics, what would you use in this situation? Anyone have experience with this business model?

Even constructing a BDC Rep pay plan is difficult.

Reactions: craigh
I used to be in a group with a 3-400/month Toyota store, I wouldn't say that the performance metrics are useless.

If you don't have to gimmick people in, pay on show, with a kicker tiers once X, Y, Z sold numbers are hit. That way it encourages them to bring people in, but still encourages bringing in people that can buy, versus gift card seekers.