1. Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice

Cox Automotive Acquires Clutch Technologies

Discussion in 'I'm Angry and Need to GRIPE!' started by joe.pistell, Aug 14, 2018.

This forum sponsored by...
  1. kevinfrye

kevinfrye
    Expand Collapse
    Jr. Refresher

First Name:
    Kevin
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Jeff Wyler Automotive Family
    Twitter Handle:
    kevinfrye1
    Two items here IMHO. First - Cox taking the direction of "mobility solutions". I agree. Our market continues to evolve and change rapidly. Dealers will move towards providing mobility solutions, which can include the subscription model. I believe dealers should pay special attention to fleet management. Fleet is the future. Take a look at Waymo and all of the Chrysler vehicles they are buying in Phoenix. Who are they buying from? Dealers? No - more like directly from CDJR. Who will service those vehicles? Dealers. Forward thinking dealers will look at how to best position themselves to manage fleet needs. 24 hour service is key, as a fleet vehicle off the road makes no money. If you can service overnight, you provide a competitive advantage.

Per auto subscription - yes, we are leading in this area. This is still a high risk area with razor thin margins. On the pro side, I have seen nothing in my career that has created more consumer excitement. We are personally touching our subscribers 2-3x per month in a non-adversarial environment where they feel like they are getting a "new car" every time. This is the elusive "Apple Store" or "Zappos" experience of a highly satisfied customer that we have pursued for years. The con is whether we can prove a profitable and scalable model for the long term - that is our biggest challenge at this time.

I am very transparent that we might not be running auto subscription 12 months from now. However the lessons we are learning are invaluable as we test and modify this model. I am speaking about this at Digital Dealer in Las Vegas, to include multiple videos from our actual subscribers. I invite you to join me with an open mind as this is groundbreaking as we look to provide a more consumer facing experience.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    • Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 3
  2. This forum sponsored by...
  3. Alex Snyder

Alex Snyder
    Expand Collapse
    President Skroob

First Name:
    Alex
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter Handle:
    axsnyder
    I've got my :popcorn: waiting to see if Cox can make Clutch work for the "not-Kevin Fryes."

• Like Like x 2
  4. Chris Leslie

Chris Leslie
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Chris K
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Heinrich Auto Group
    Twitter Handle:
    @chriskleslie
    Is there anything that is stopping Cox from launching their own direct to consumer subscription service?

5. joe.pistell

joe.pistell
    Expand Collapse
    Uncle Joe

First Name:
    Joe
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Dealer.com
    Twitter Handle:
    JoePistell
    Hmmm... good question. @kevinfrye@kevinfrye is subscription a rental?

6. Cullen C

Cullen C
    Expand Collapse
    Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Cullen
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Carvana
    Twitter Handle:
    CullenCrane
    By the verbiage of the contracts I believe they technically are, thus the 28 day max length agreements.

• Like Like x 1
  7. joe.pistell

joe.pistell
    Expand Collapse
    Uncle Joe

First Name:
    Joe
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Dealer.com
    Twitter Handle:
    JoePistell
    Thnx! There u go @Chris Leslie@Chris Leslie Cox 'could' become another Hertz, but all it has is the software ;-) It'll probably be easier for Hertz to buy the software than Cox buying the inventory, the roofs and the boots on the ground.

• Like Like x 2
  8. mikesayre

mikesayre
    Expand Collapse
    Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Mike
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Kenwood Dealer Group
    I would think the OEM's should have the advantage if they chose to launch their own vehicle subscription model with their Dealer network, but in the spirit of moving more metal, they will open up sales to other companies (like waymo) and probably invest, partner, and wait. Maven looks to be only GM vehicles currently which is interesting. Fleet & Service look to be the future for sure, I wonder how this all will unfold legally with dealer franchise laws per state? It might take some time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. kevinfrye

kevinfrye
    Expand Collapse
    Jr. Refresher

First Name:
    Kevin
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Twitter Handle:
    kevinfrye1
    Just listened to Sandy Schwarz speak on Tuesday morning at VinWorx and he indicated that Cox has zero desire to tie up money in inventory - I don't believe they have any desire to do this directly with consumers. And on the same line, I believe most of the OEM solutions are being tested so that they can be taken back to the dealers if the model proves and scales. Only exception (and likely because they are not communicating well) is where Book by Cadilllac is going

10. TeddyJTurner

TeddyJTurner
    Expand Collapse
    Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Teddy
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Sinclair
    Too expensive right now. Once there’s pressure on pricing you might see adoption. Anyone that would go with a subscription model most likely skews young and general eschews car ownership more than previous generations. Having it be prohibitively expensive is tough.

11. kevinfrye

kevinfrye
    Expand Collapse
    Jr. Refresher

First Name:
    Kevin
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Twitter Handle:
    kevinfrye1
    And this is the biggest challenge - understanding the true total cost of ownership. Truth - it is actually not that expensive, hence the razor thin margins. Most of our initial subscribers have been business owners. Why? They understand numbers and the total cost of owning a car. Surprisingly, our biggest detractors have been other dealers - who should be the FIRST to have an understanding of this. We use the Edmunds True Cost of Car Ownership tool to handle objections and it works very well.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1