• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Creative use of Car Pics.

Dear Auto website vendors and marketplaces, 640x480? WTF!

View attachment 7630
Have you seen the graphic for Product Detail Page lengths for items such as a TV, and automotive, Best Buy vs a standard dealer site?

It is incredible the amount of data that is published for a relatively minor large purchase, and bereft of extensive data for such a major purchase.

Reactions: joe.pistell
iPhone 14 display has a resolution of 1170px × 2532px. By now, people are used to using the pinch gesture to zoom in and out. In order to properly examine a used car photo, the photo should be at least 2.5x resolution of the screen to allow zooming in without losing details. Also, may sites block or interfere with the natural zooming UEX. Viewing car photos on a site should be no different than viewing photos in a standard photo app on a phone. There's no need to reinvent this experience.

It is incredible the amount of data that is published for a relatively minor large purchase, and bereft of extensive data for such a major purchase.

Why do you think that is Chris? I don't want to derail the thread, but I'm genuinely curious about your opinion. I'd guess a combination of the following:
  • The data doesn't reliably exist, and absolutely isn't attributable to a single source
  • Someone decided it didn't pass Uncle Joe's DISC test to curate and publish it... "give them just enough to get them in"
  • The uniqueness of used doesn't allow for comprehensive side by side comparison
  • The VDP is still best described as a digitized window label, not an experience
  • Electronics, washer/dryers,etc purchases are data and price based decisions; auto is data, price, plus emotion

Why do you think that is Chris? I don't want to derail the thread, but I'm genuinely curious about your opinion. I'd guess a combination of the following:
  • The data doesn't reliably exist, and absolutely isn't attributable to a single source
  • Someone decided it didn't pass Uncle Joe's DISC test to curate and publish it... "give them just enough to get them in"
  • The uniqueness of used doesn't allow for comprehensive side by side comparison
  • The VDP is still best described as a digitized window label, not an experience
  • Electronics, washer/dryers,etc purchases are data and price based decisions; auto is data, price, plus emotion
  • websites that perform an actual transaction require greater investment

Anyone want to assist me with an experiment?

I currently have some time off while I am interviewing and just enjoying my (forced) break before getting back to work. I would like to do an experiment with some photos of vehicles. I have a lot of experience editing in lightroom (basically photoshop but for bulk processing vs PS individual photo processing) and am trying to put together a preset that 1) increases the appeal of pictures of a vehicle and 2) can be done quickly / efficiently so that it doesn't take 20+ mins per car and therefore isn't worth the time / effort.

Basically looking for someone to volunteer their photos of their vehicles before they get decompressed by whatever IMS, web provider, etc, otherwise I would just grab them off the internet.
I have been working on something similar.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC_0623.jpg
    DSC_0623.jpg
    1,010.2 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_0885.jpg
    DSC_0885.jpg
    956.2 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC_0812b.jpg
    DSC_0812b.jpg