• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Dealer Beware: If you don't know Local SEO, know your Local SEO'er

joe.pistell

Uncle Joe
Apr 7, 2009
Awards
First Name
Joe
I follow Miriam, a well respected Local SEO expert that has stumbled on what looks like a Local SEO spam campaign for Goodson Honda West

SEO Igloo Blog Are These Reviews Authentic? You Be The Judge.

The Low Down
Goodson Honda West has more than 65 reviews for their business in Google Maps/Places. A glance at the top 5 prominently displayed on their Place Page bespeaks a glowingly satisfied customer base. All 5 stars!

"...Reviewer names Salsa, for example, appears to have bought numerous cars all over the country, rented an apartment in Chicago, bought a bike in DC, and enjoyed a great night’s sleep at hotels in Texas, California, N. Carolina, Ohio and Pennsylvania, all on August 2nd. "

I took a look myself: Goodson Honda West - Google Maps

Not good.

Goodson Honda West, look out, if you get discovered and tagged AND you may vanish and thats not a good place to be.

Reactions: 2 people
This is actually quite common. There is a company out there that will "review boost" (google that, I dont want to make a link). It is complete BS in my opinion - I report EVERY one I see....scroll to bottom of the places page and click "report problem".

The service charges anywhere from $395-595/month. Whats worse is that the sales pitch is a complete outright lie, as the Google TOS does not allow for what they are doing - yet they claim to have had a Google employee look at he program and approve. BTW -- They would not give me the name and contact info of this Google employee.

I think (and hope) most consumers see through a campaign ran like that. I am waiting for the day that Google actually takes down/penalizes a places page for this practice.

--Drew

Reactions: 2 people
Great post Joe! I'm going to have to take that PCG survey a few hundred more times and tell everybody how smart you are. ;)

This doesn't seem that difficult to prevent. If Miriam can click on the reviewer's profile and see 30 reviews submitted in one day for various businesses around the country, why can't the administrator identify this as a problem? More than 4 reviews in a 24 hour period should raise a red flag, right? Seems to me that they may be more interested in the quantity of content than the integrity of the data if they don't have this simple fraud prevention in place.

Reactions: 1 person
The sad part is that I don't know how much it matters when you report these bastards. I have a local dealer near me that I can prove is buying links to raise their SERP - and I can't do anything about it. Sure, I have alerted google numerous times, I have told our internet rep for our manufacturer - but in the end - if google doesn't penalize them, then nothing can be done.

The sad part is that I don't know how much it matters when you report these bastards. I have a local dealer near me that I can prove is buying links to raise their SERP - and I can't do anything about it. Sure, I have alerted google numerous times, I have told our internet rep for our manufacturer - but in the end - if google doesn't penalize them, then nothing can be done.

Might want to call your local TV station...

Are Local Dealership's Rave Reviews Fake? - Video - KSAT San Antonio