DealerRefresh Top100

seeing this late, but we also have tekion at one of our dealerships. dealership gm and managers like the dms, but the crm is rough!
What's rough about it? Probably switching to them in the coming months so would love to know some nuances. I was impressed with it seeing it with someone else demonstrating it, but haven't actually used it. They said they can build out alot of reports etc at launch so getting our ducks in a row over the coming weeks.

Reactions: jeffwhite
What's rough about it? Probably switching to them in the coming months so would love to know some nuances. I was impressed with it seeing it with someone else demonstrating it, but haven't actually used it. They said they can build out alot of reports etc at launch so getting our ducks in a row over the coming weeks.
You need to dig and find dealers using Tekion CRM, not Tekion showing you. In my first round of demos last year it was "stump the chump" over and over again. They kept pausing and saying, "we'll have to get back to you on that one" or "that's a good idea". Their team came back in a second round and implemented many of the items I addressed in the first round, which was impressive. They still lacked any enterprise functionality, reporting was lacking, status, process, stages, etc I think were a mess at the time. What killed it for me was my asking them to refer a true advocate, a fan, another heavy CRM user in a store and they couldn't. They were years behind the old guard at the time so I went with DriveCentric Oct/Nov. I think they're running 2 years behind Drive at this point so while I appreciate the idea of single-system integration, I'm not going backwards in CRM.

Thanks @Dan Sayer. A few of the decsion makers saw it live in person at a high volume high line store in NY. After searching around and seeing some other thoughts on them I'm definitely going to keep an eye out when the install folks come since they sound separated from the sales folks. But nonetheless I'm seeing that they have their shit together better now than even back in early 2023. Guess we'll see what happens soon :)

Thanks @Dan Sayer. A few of the decsion makers saw it live in person at a high volume high line store in NY. After searching around and seeing some other thoughts on them I'm definitely going to keep an eye out when the install folks come since they sound separated from the sales folks. But nonetheless I'm seeing that they have their shit together better now than even back in early 2023. Guess we'll see what happens soon :)
Are you a single point or group? You should keep this thread posted as you most through your install. Thanks.

We’ve utilized the Tekion CRM since it launched. Functionality was somewhat limited early on, but has evolved at a rapid pace. We also utilize their telephone API. They work well for accountability and add an efficiency beyond what we had with our prior DMS/CRM vendor combo. As with anything, leadership contribution from the rooftop is important for “buy in” and process alignment.

We have been using all aspects of Tekion, DMS, CRM, and Tekion pay for about two years now. I couldn’t imagine going to a dealership that did not have it. The integration between Apps, the seamless way you can move within departments and the reporting truly allows you to manage a dealership, efficiently and effectively. Like any DMS switch, there is work that needs to occur but if you work with the installers and the support team you will see efficiencies within the dealership.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanMorgan
We have been using all aspects of Tekion, DMS, CRM, and Tekion pay for about two years now. I couldn’t imagine going to a dealership that did not have it. The integration between Apps, the seamless way you can move within departments and the reporting truly allows you to manage a dealership, efficiently and effectively. Like any DMS switch, there is work that needs to occur but if you work with the installers and the support team you will see efficiencies within the dealership.
What brands? Heard one or two OEM's just dropped them for shortcomings.

There are few car people working inside tech. IMO, tech needs more car ppl in it. @Alex Snyder knows what I mean. Cars.com Brian Kramer is one example.

It took me years to find a tech company that saw value in my Auto experience. I've waited patiently at my current tech company to now remind them Auto is different. To be fair, the good stuff in Auto lives in a bit of vacuum. I see a light at the end of the tunnel. Worst case, the tech folks that listen to the good Auto folks will win big.

Brian Kramer has been a great follow. Car Dealership Guy (now publicly Yossi Levi), too.

I've been waiting for years for someone to come in and disrupt the online service scheduler space. I know Dealer Inspire was working on one years ago, but I'm guessing it got mothballed during the Cars acquisition along with the inventory management platform they were building.

Can someone please give COX's XTime a run for their money? They are by far the best in the class, but the market is just asking for some real competition to help fuel further innovation.

It is a challenging space to enter though with the complexity and expense of bi-directional DMS integrations, OEM maintenance schedules, etc which is why I'm assuming the space has been relatively stagnant for so long.

Noted. I was going to ask who has the best prospect to do so and what do they need...but following replies answered some of this. I like the cloud-native and open approach that Fortellis and Tekion have to build these types of things.

Maybe the money is on Tekion? The appetite to feed them the data to make a great scheduler seems to be high.

They still lacked any enterprise functionality, reporting was lacking, status, process, stages, etc I think were a mess at the time.

Can you expand on this?

Based on some other threads, Tekion has been open to feedback on reporting and analytics.

What do you want for enterprise functionality outside of reporting?

Status?

Process?

Stages?

Last edited: