• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Dealership Apps

AutoMotionTV

Full Sticker
Jul 16, 2010
First Name
Kyle
As some may know, one of the new things out there right now in mobile marketing for dealerships are mobile apps (iPhone, Android, etc.). For those who may not be as familiar with them, it lets you see all of the new production models available with picture slide shows, videos, and 360 spins of each vehicle.

What do people think about these apps, and do you think they are an effective sales tool? Do you think they are worth it, or just a waste of time and money to implement? I'm interested in finding out what other people think about them.

I see it working for LARGE retailers, or, specialty retailers (aka sports car stores). Apps need a strong shoppers WIFM hook. Hook needs to be exclusive to the app. Extra special shopping tools needed, or, app club "members only" gifts.

Tool example: "Flag a car that you like and if the price is dropped, Our App Shopper gets First Notice, 24hours before price is dropped on the internet"

Because this idea can work against the retailer, dont advertise this upfront, add this on the App's landing page to increase conversions to apps.

Last edited:
I am not even sure a "sales" app would be beneficial. I try to optimize my mobile site to have as much information as possible with the fewest amount of clicks.

I think were a dealership app would be beneficial is for taking care of the customer after the sale....ie....service. Having the ability to push notifications to the customer (service reminders, Onstar vehicle diagnostics, letting customer know vehicle is ready for pickup, specials, etc). The customer would also be able to make a service reservation with their advisor of choice in the app as well. You could also send notifications about repairs and they can either approve or deny recommended services instead of playing phone tag with the advisor. Texting/email is much easier for folks...especially if it is a minor repair.

Service retention is where an app will really shine. I can have all my service history in one place (the palm of my hand)!

Just my two pennies....

Personally, I think an app is not anything you should buy into. I think too many dealerships are looking for that unique inflatable gorilla rather than focusing on what's really important.

Customers aren't going to be downloading apps for a certain dealership. I sure as heck know I wouldn't. I've got enough clutter as it is on my iPhone, the last thing I'm going to do is download some store specific app only to delete later.
The proper thing to do is to make a mobile website. A mobile site that is completely tied into your active inventory and interacts the same as your normal site.

Your mobile site is the one that would take care of all your customers... before & after the sale.

Last edited:
I'd gladly add an app that was all about Me and the car I drive every day.... "My Ride". Especially if it had an "App Concierge".

The internet is a deafening roar of noise. You go to Google to look for the best price on tires and 45 minutes later somehow you're considering Hammocks made my the Amish (and you forgot why your there).

Apps are yours, if it's done right, they can be personal. So you have 115 apps on your iphone vs. a 100 billion pages on the web? I like my chances of creating a stand out experience and building relationships on the app front.

The app has real leverage IF it can be made so important that it brings value.

Establish the account, add the VIN and other key parameters from the DMS and you're off!

App knows how many miles I drive and pairs it against maint & replacement schedules. So, when the time arrives, it recommends Oil change/tire rotation, it knows how soon I'll be needing a brake job, tires replaced, alignment, and on and on. It knows when State inspection is due (all simple stuff so far). Of course it tells me if a recall has hit. IT's easy to build on this theme.

Appointments are easy. All the data is prefilled out. Name, make model, customer #, VIN, etc... Wire it all into a simple service booking page (click your top 3 appoint dates on a calander to book an appointment and a special "App Concierge" will text you your confirmation) You click is you want a call back. If you want shuttle svc.You click which of the addresses you'd like a ride to. All this crap is in the app... Hey that rhymes!!

The app can help the user decide if its time to fix or trade.
App user has a High RO and needs to do some planning. When App User establishes "My Ride", The app user added his VIN, the Price paid for his ride, sales tax, down payment made, term & interest rate of loan. The app knows the number of months since purchase, it knows the payoff, it knows today's current market value*, and our App user has been told the projected repair costs of his current service visit. The app looks out 12 months and looks at common maintenance costs that care coming and helps the App user decide it the time to trade has come.

App can include app concierge services like shuttle scheduling, service status, multi-day rental assistance. Near the waiting area is the "App Concierge". She/he works the waiting area to sign people up, and is there to ensure the app user's wishes are met.

*If the app can talk to 3rd party site like KBB or Black Book or NADA,

Just a few ideas to chew on...

Make the app experience rich, helpful and personal that the "App Member" loves to show it off at work and around town.

I think users would engage with apps that have high utility value... (scheduling, parts lookup, inventory search, etc). An app with utility value could also help dealers operate more efficiently, engage with their customers and open new communication channels (ie, post photos to the site / DMS, proximity awareness, PuSH, VIN scanning, etc.)

These features are not that complicated to create.

I am not even sure a "sales" app would be beneficial. I try to optimize my mobile site to have as much information as possible with the fewest amount of clicks.

I think were a dealership app would be beneficial is for taking care of the customer after the sale....ie....service. Having the ability to push notifications to the customer (service reminders, Onstar vehicle diagnostics, letting customer know vehicle is ready for pickup, specials, etc). The customer would also be able to make a service reservation with their advisor of choice in the app as well. You could also send notifications about repairs and they can either approve or deny recommended services instead of playing phone tag with the advisor. Texting/email is much easier for folks...especially if it is a minor repair.

Service retention is where an app will really shine. I can have all my service history in one place (the palm of my hand)!

Just my two pennies....

I'm with you Marc. Service retention is where it's at for a dealer app. You could easily tie/link out to the dealers Mobile site for the sales side but consumers need to find value in a dealers app before even thinking about adding or better yet using it.

I'll add to your list..

Click to Call
Recall Notices
Quick Reference to scheduled maintenance items
Maintenance History
Comparison Pricing (maybe)

App knows how many miles I drive and pairs it against maint & replacement schedules. So, when the time arrives, it recommends Oil change/tire rotation, it knows how soon I'll be needing a brake job, tires replaced, alignment, and on and on. It knows when State inspection is due (all simple stuff so far). Of course it tells me if a recall has hit. IT's easy to build on this theme.

Appointments are easy. All the data is prefilled out. Name, make model, customer #, VIN, etc... Wire it all into a simple service booking page (click your top 3 appoint dates on a calander to book an appointment and a special "App Concierge" will text you your confirmation) You click is you want a call back. If you want shuttle svc.You click which of the addresses you'd like a ride to. All this crap is in the app... Hey that rhymes!!

:iagree:

I'd be all over an app that had all these features. Tie in a few fun things too like what BMW did with their M Power app.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-10424432-48.html

Promote your Express Oil Change and Vehicle Detailing services too.

I would only be glad about an app like any of that if it had auto sync with the car's computer.
I not of the demographic that would treat an app for the dealership (and/or my car) with the intricacy of a checkbook.

I know my stuff is due because I get a coupon telling me as well as the Mobile sticker on the top right windshield reminding me the month/miles till the next oil change. Heck.. some CRMs send text reminders for these services. Sounds like your CRM tool is the one that needs to make these apps for you guys! ;)

my $.02

So the real question is how many people are *really* using these dealer apps? What are the real stats? What I've seen is that dealers have been wanting the new buzzword so bad that they ignore the other real opportunities. The latest (and most obvious) is the dealer that doesn't have a proper mobile site and yet, has an app that nobody uses. Oh... and will have Foursquare buttons all over the site because their kid told them everybody is using "Foursquare". Never mind they don't understand that people don't go to the website to "check in", there's an app for that too. :)

Last edited: