• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Dealership Apps

Personally, I think an app is not anything you should buy into. I think too many dealerships are looking for that unique inflatable gorilla rather than focusing on what's really important.

Customers aren't going to be downloading apps for a certain dealership. I sure as heck know I wouldn't. I've got enough clutter as it is on my iPhone, the last thing I'm going to do is download some store specific app only to delete later.
The proper thing to do is to make a mobile website. A mobile site that is completely tied into your active inventory and interacts the same as your normal site.

Your mobile site is the one that would take care of all your customers... before & after the sale.

I agree that dealers need to take things one step at a time. Dealers that don't have a mobile-optimized site shouldn't be investing in something like an app. I think Jeff hit the nail on the head though; an app needs to posses both utility AND entertainment value for people to adopt it. It needs to add some sort of value for the customer that they weren't getting before it existed, or obviously the app would be useless, like an app that costs $999.99 and when opened says "I Am Rich."

What would you think of an app service that provided all of the noted application services (plus a few others) across all application platforms, custom developed for each dealer, with the ability to allow automatic monthly dealer updates, automatically updates platform changes (like Iphone OS3 to OS4), provides monthly reporting on application volume, usage, click though etc., provides a hardware option to supply Iphones, Ipads and IpodTouchs, requires little to no input from the dealership, with a base cost to the dealer of approx. $16K the first year and $6K/yr thereafter?

Just such a service is in the works.Your feed back would be appreciated.

HJ Meyer
MMS Mobile Services
Website and contact info to follow shortly
Email [email protected]

What would you think of an app service that provided all of the noted application services (plus a few others) across all application platforms, custom developed for each dealer, with the ability to allow automatic monthly dealer updates, automatically updates platform changes (like Iphone OS3 to OS4), provides monthly reporting on application volume, usage, click though etc., provides a hardware option to supply Iphones, Ipads and IpodTouchs, requires little to no input from the dealership, with a base cost to the dealer of approx. $16K the first year and $6K/yr thereafter?

Just such a service is in the works.Your feed back would be appreciated.

HJ Meyer
MMS Mobile Services
Website and contact info to follow shortly
Email [email protected]

ahh..... all the noted app svcs (plus a few others). Forget all the OTHER noise you posted, HJ, why don't you deep dive into these items in great detail.

An app, for apps sake is ____:rip:_____

ahh..... all the noted app svcs (plus a few others). Forget all the OTHER noise you posted, HJ, why don't you deep dive into these items in great detail.

An app, for apps sake is ____:rip:_____

Joe,

Making an App for apps sake is precisely what we do not want to do. The concept is more along the lines of social media, providing a mobile channel for dealer to customer and customer to dealer communications. Like all social media it must provide value to both parties. This is not just another means to send junk mail to customers. Our current working prototype is simple, it provides the customer with;
Pertinent dealership data and contact information including a click to dial direct.
Interactive map directions
Service appointment scheduler.
Sales test drive scheduler
Full access to dealership new and used inventory including video capability.
"Value my trade" ability
Current up to the minute Sales and Finance specials
Parts ordering capability
Current up to the minute available service specials and coupons
Direct click to dial Roadside assistance access
Direct click through Facebook, Twitter and email access
SMS feed to text messaging for important notifications.

There are a multitude of other possible offerings as you and others have already outlined on this thread. We are still in the set up stage and are anxious to get feed back and ideas on what both dealers and customers would find valuable. Again, it is that value that will make the application successful (or not). In addition, we feel that making it "turn key" for the dealer, with minimal required attention on their part, at a reasonable price should be attractive to them.

Your further input is appreciated.
HJ Meyer
MMS Mobile Solutions
email [email protected]

Let's see,

We developed one last year here is how it compares to your list

Pertinent dealership data and contact information including a click to dial direct. - Yes
Interactive map directions - Yes
Service appointment scheduler. - Yes
Sales test drive scheduler - Yes
Full access to dealership new and used inventory including video capability. - Yes
"Value my trade" ability - Could through third party
Current up to the minute Sales and Finance specials - Yes
Parts ordering capability - No
Current up to the minute available service specials and coupons - Yes
Direct click to dial Roadside assistance access - No
Direct click through Facebook, Twitter and email access - Yes
SMS feed to text messaging for important notifications. - Yes

So it has most of the same stuff. Our retail cost to the Dealer was $100 per month, no setup, no contract. We have sold some, but many told us we were way too expensive... go figure. If they won't spend $1200 a year, I don't think they will spend the $16K....

A lot of people have been pumping out great ideas about apps that help on the service side and the after sale interaction between the dealership and the customer. I think an app like that would bring great utility to both parties. However, nobody has really mentioned anything from a pre-sale standpoint, that would maybe help bring customers into the dealership and make them stand out from others ahead of time. Maybe something that could be viewed as a type of mobile brochure of some sort or something along those lines. An app that could either help sales people or otherwise could act as almost a virtual sales person for the customer who does not like dealing with the sales people because we all know those customers are out there. Even in the long run it could potentially cut down a large cost being eaten up by expensive vehicle brochures that get handed out and tossed. An app can be downloaded and deleted at a much lower cost.