• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Dear Autobase

I'm doing it the "right" way....the bucket system is just not ideal.

Blake ,

I am sure you are doing things right.

Our sales are up. In March of 2010 (102 sales) we broke our previous record of 100 internet sales set during clunkers and sold 60 less vehicles. So we are doing something with autobase.

The buckets are an integral part under the Web Leads function, which is were ISM's work. We convert 17% of inquiries to coming in and becoming a "internet sale" .So we have 83% of leads under web leads . That 83% is followed up on a daily basis. I have approximately 40 to 50 leads to follow up on every day. Our store does not dish out leads to multiple "internet sales people". Myself and another internet manager do all the follow up. So I think our way of managing internet leads is different than most of our 62 stores. As managers, we do not deliver,test drive or get involved with customers when they come in. Whatever we are doing, it has increased business 40% since March of last year. If there was a search feature within the web leads follow up window, maybe that would be cool. But for now, Autobase way of thinking is to exit out of web leads and use the search functions for customer needs. I have no problem with that.

By using the terms Truck,Van, Sedan, Coupe, Hybrid, Budget Used Cars etc or whatever it is, these are terms that can be used globally by any car dealer on any server any where in the world. Since most customers have purchased within 21 to 30 days, I'd rather have one bucket for " send to corporate follow up" , but I would only use that bucket after I have received no response or contact for a 60 or 90 day period.

My idea on buckets, was to think of follow up according to customer needs. It's just a thought. I think it's called brainstorming. My general manager , who has been in the business for over 30 years, thought the idea was worth mentioning. I bounced my thoughts off a few co-workers and no one took offense to the suggestions.

I am just one person in a very large company who thinks about things, but that thinking gets me in trouble. Change / Suggestions brings trama.

If you have any additonal ideas, your welcome to post.

Last edited:
I forget that there are more vendors than ISM's participating.

Stand your ground man - don't let a vendor ruffle your feathers. I don't know what happened in this situation, but I'm going to use this thread to voice......

My take on vendors to client interactions through Social Media (Blogs, Forums, etc)

If a vendor chooses to come after you through your employer then you should be very pissed. I wouldn't do business with a company that came after me through my employer. If you have something to say in public, then your vendor should respond to you in public. If a client points out a weak point in the vendor's armor, then that vendor should publicly respond "you're right, and we are working on it" then post again when it is fixed thanking that client for pointing the problem out.

With all the Social Media talk at Digital Dealer 8 yesterday, I'm surprised this very simple 101 rule wasn't taught.

P.S. Dan, Autobase, and Erica - I have no idea what transpired here, but I saw Dan's statement about vendors and DealerRefresh and I was compelled to respond.

Hey Dan,
Thanks again for the PM. I would agree that getting feedback from other users is always beneficial and can help your process evolve. Understanding that each store does things a little differently provides endless options for you to consider. I would enjoy finding out what is your final conclusion/decision. PM me and we can discuss further if you like.

Hey Dan,
Thanks again for the PM. I would agree that getting feedback from other users is always beneficial and can help your process evolve. Understanding that each store does things a little differently provides endless options for you to consider. I would enjoy finding out what is your final conclusion/decision. PM me and we can discuss further if you like.

The 1st thing I do is take any ideas to my general sales manager and the other internet manager in my store. If the general sales manager likes the idea, he suggest I forward to the person that is the "autobase" person in our company.

I am not a decision maker. I am only making a suggestion or sharing an idea