• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Define A BETTER Dealership website...

NO.

Stop measuring details and just go for numbers. Just get unique visitor numbers up, everything else will follow. Stop trying to wring it out :)

Ling

Ling,

I'm glad that you are in this thread because more than anyone in the world you validate my thoughts.

By the vendors/most dealers standards, your site is crap.
But no one dares to say anything because any argument loses to one fact: You sell a lot of cars and make good money.

So in the end design, banners, colors, community, SEO, SEM, etc are unimportant to the ultimate goal: Sales.

Ling

Is your site sitting on your own server you control or are you sharing it with thousands of other dealers like most here in the states?

Also, you built your book of business focusing on a niche website correct?

CAR LEASING - CONTRACT HIRE - CHEAP LEASE CARS

Ling

Is your site sitting on your own server you control or are you sharing it with thousands of other dealers like most here in the states?

Also, you built your book of business focusing on a niche website correct?

Yes, of course, I have a dedicated server. Several in fact. I have a web server called "Lingoceraptor" and two mirrored database servers. I can't type the full names of them here as it would be moderated. One is called C***otronic and the other is called F***omatic. So, no, I don't think I share them with anyone :) Apologies if you are a bible-basher and offended. Life is too short to be boring, heh.

I have to have quite a powerful server as my queries can be immense, so I am always upgrading it with loads of RAM, bigger processor, faster disks etc. I can cope with about 500 concurrent users if some are moderately active.

My book of business - errr, I don't look at it like that. I just advertise prices and some people select them. That's about it.

Ling

Ling, apply your theory to http://www.onlinecarslimited.com/

Fail.

Joe,

I checked. That company Online Cars (UK) Limited has ONE set of accounts posted with UK Companies House, they have £3000 of cash in the bank, and a Net Worth (shareholder funds) of £258 - or about $400. That's $4 hundred. ...Not $4 hundred thousand.

This company has been around since 18 Oct 2012 and lists its registered address as being in Hampshire

It's an outrageously boring website, no pictures, spitty text. I predict it does no business at all. :)

Ling