1. Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice

TAKE POLL Digital Retailing - do you?

Discussion in 'Websites, SEO, SEM, Display, Social, Marketing' started by Alex Snyder, Nov 13, 2018.

This forum sponsored by...
?

Click all that apply:

1. We tried a digital retailing vendor and would like something better

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. We are happy with the provider we use now

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. We are still looking for the best one for us

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Our customers won't use it

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  5. I don't know what digital retailing is

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Alex Snyder

Alex Snyder
    Expand Collapse
    President Skroob

First Name:
    Alex
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter Handle:
    axsnyder
    Do you have a digital retailing solution in your website or process? Something like Roadster, Dealer Science, Cox's Accelerate (or whatever they call it), Dealer Inspire's Online Shopper, etc. I know I'm missing at least 8 others. We have an ongoing list right here.

2. This forum sponsored by...
  3. john.quinn

john.quinn
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    John
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter Handle:
    JohnGQuinn
    Probably another topic/string... but what exactly is Digital Retailing? Definitions/offerings I've seen are like snowflakes: no two are alike.

4. Alex Snyder

Alex Snyder
    Expand Collapse
    President Skroob

First Name:
    Alex
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter Handle:
    axsnyder
    :iagree:

Cliff Banks, Brian Pasch, Jeff Kershner and I explored that topic on RefreshFriday a few weeks ago.

A few takeaways from that episode were:
    • Digital Retailing, on the most part, is just a "super lead" generator
    • Brian has found 11 companies offering services like that while Cliff predicts there will be more than 30 in the next few years
    • It is a significantly young genre that potentially could be more important than the CRM

5. john.quinn

john.quinn
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    John
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter Handle:
    JohnGQuinn
    Very interesting. Maybe I'll study it a bit, prove or disprove the hypothesis that you need to serve/solve problems for people who write you checks -- seems like a lot of vendors tried to solve problems for consumers at the dealer's expense.

6. Alex Snyder

Alex Snyder
    Expand Collapse
    President Skroob

First Name:
    Alex
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter Handle:
    axsnyder
    No doubt about that! Sure seems like a few technologists didn't like their car buying experience and decided they'd "fix that."

Idiocy aside, once the genre matures I can see where it actually answers the questions of "does it sell cars" affirmatively, and even being a way for dealers to cut some personnel costs. That is a far-cry more valuable than CRM has been. And that's the basis for the argument as to how the LATER digital retailing solutions will be a better investment than a CRM.

You and I had our opinions of digital retailing tarnished by some early ideas at Dealer.com. Once you look outside of the Cox umbrella you see a number of solutions doing a better job.

7. Carluminati

Carluminati
    Expand Collapse
    Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Chris
    We looked at most of these, were seduced into a CDK Connected Store contract - but no leads, and the site has been idled, it's so bad. So we reverted back to our Nabthat site where we see 100-200 dealership leads every month, which is 40% of all our lead sources, and the best for sure. I think Digital Retailing is a farce, it's not a lead magnet as advertised, I would obviously know having used the service, only to have to stop it, before my business died. I would say Google Posts (a free service) provided me more leads than the most effective digital retailing site I was promised. The secret to selling cars online is keeping it simple. Good images, post good prices, follow up call with every lead, invite for the test drive, win them over and sell. Digital Retailing totally misses the point and advantage the dealership experience has over this fake experience, and why it still matters.

#6 Carluminati, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  8. bb822

bb822
    Expand Collapse
    Noob

First Name:
    Ben
    Dealer or Company Name:
    SAG
    Just getting started with Roadster at one of the stores in our group. Impressive product, but the stranglehold that CDK, DealerTrack, et. al make me wonder how successful the integration will be. That said, Longo Toyota, the #1 volume Toyota dealer in the country uses them with success, so that tells me there's something there...