• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Does "Google Instant" kill Long Tail Search?

I run a very very agressive PPC campaign with thousands of keywords/phrases. I'll let ya'll know what I see.

I am in the camp that sees "Instant P.O.S." pushing down Organics and making PPC stand out (due to less real estate above the fold)

Is everyone convinced that we can not optimize for a broad term? Are we sure we have to go rely on PPC for terms like "toyota camry". Ed, sounds like you are.... Brian Pasch made a similar statement to yours last week about broad terms like "toyota camry" not being able to be optimized for organic search by a dealer and show on page one. I think it is not the length of a term that makes it broad or short necessarily ...."lowest price impala" is 3 words but very broad...(.no year, no city)...we did a broad term campaign last February for "lowest price impala"... finished it in two weeks , did not touch it for over six months and it remained on page one, position #3....two days ago we added some fresh content to it for the first time since February, (less than one man hour) and now are holding positions #3 #4 #5 and #7 on page one on a clean machine using a proxy server in the UK.....we actually booted our own "6 month old 3rd position" off the page. We are positioned for that broad term directly behind Chevrolet.com who is at #2. If you search "best price impala", there are only lead aggregation sites and Chevrolet.com on page one....and our store in position #8....we are currently doing a campaign on an even narrower term and "best price impala" is getting a free ride for us. Then if you switch search results to "video" from "web" for the broad term "lowest price impala", we hold positions 1,2,4,5,7 & 8. Our current campaign is a very broad , two word term and I have every expectation it will be on Page One in two weeks or less and it will have staying power. Google Instant in the longer term I believe may help organic search for broad terms if you can get there and I know we can. This is an old mans opinion, it and a buck will get you a coffee most places.

Is everyone convinced that we can not optimize for a broad term? Are we sure we have to go rely on PPC for terms like "toyota camry". Ed, sounds like you are.... Brian Pasch made a similar statement to yours last week about broad terms like "toyota camry" not being able to be optimized for organic search by a dealer and show on page one. I think it is not the length of a term that makes it broad or short necessarily ...."lowest price impala" is 3 words but very broad...(.no year, no city)...we did a broad term campaign last February for "lowest price impala"... finished it in two weeks , did not touch it for over six months and it remained on page one, position #3....two days ago we added some fresh content to it for the first time since February, (less than one man hour) and now are holding positions #3 #4 #5 and #7 on page one on a clean machine using a proxy server in the UK.....we actually booted our own "6 month old 3rd position" off the page. We are positioned for that broad term directly behind Chevrolet.com who is at #2. If you search "best price impala", there are only lead aggregation sites and Chevrolet.com on page one....and our store in position #8....we are currently doing a campaign on an even narrower term and "best price impala" is getting a free ride for us. Then if you switch search results to "video" from "web" for the broad term "lowest price impala", we hold positions 1,2,4,5,7 & 8. Our current campaign is a very broad , two word term and I have every expectation it will be on Page One in two weeks or less and it will have staying power. Google Instant in the longer term I believe may help organic search for broad terms if you can get there and I know we can. This is an old mans opinion, it and a buck will get you a coffee most places.
Tom, I guess my question is how many people search for 'best price impala", much less do a video search for "best price impala"? Then the next question is how many of those folks are likely to click on a specific Michigan Chevy dealer? And then how many of those convert?

If it were me, I'd be working to optimize "Michigan Chevy Dealer", "Flint Chevy Dealer", etc. I really think the dealers that concentrate on above-the-fold placement of these terms are going to be the winners with Google Instant. Fewer terms, broad enough to trigger a Google Instant suggestion, specific to geography and with a much higher shot at converting a customer.

Google is expecting Instant to change behavior by rewarding shorter and more popular searches with a faster search experience. Now if - and that is a big if - that happens, national sites are going to be even more dominant on organic SERPs. Google wins by increasing demand for PPC terms, and of course driving up the price.

These are just guesses as the game is brand new with all new rules, but to me they make sense.

And TK, my opinion and $6.50 will buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks! ;)

After messing with it a little today I think I'm in the same corner as Alex with the long tail steroids injection... (also kinda on the POS wagon Joe)

If your searching for something that you're not very knowledgeable on its super quick to open up multiple long tail searches. I found I was able to dial into results until finding something that really caught my eye and feeds the need. All said, its super friggen distracting at times!!!