• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Does "Google Instant" kill Long Tail Search?

In my opinion any concentrated investment in "long tail" search is a waste of time. Nothing in search has gotten longer since the advent of the modern search engine. We now have "reatime search" and are on the brink of single letter SEO. Google is being engineered to produce the shortest relevant SEO results possible.

Consumers will conform or adapt to Google’s search results, not drive them. If you are searching for a plumber and you type a "P" in the search bar, Google produces the word plumber, you click on it and there is a page full of plumbers in your area. Done! Search completed.

I believe that the tremendous increase in mobile search will reduce the percentage of people with eyes on the keyboard and not on the screen, since these "short tail" advances are specifically designed to accommodate a mobile surfing world.

Last edited:
In regards to the original question: Is Google Instant going to kill Long Tail Search?

I've had some time to think this one over and discuss it with some of my coworkers. Yesterday, I tweeted "I bet Google Instant just injected long tail search with steroids." And I'm sticking by that statement. Anyone who uses Google Instant is encouraged to type searches out until the one they're after is the top result.

However....

There are three ways to use Google:

1. As a phone book for numbers and directions
2. As a replacement for a browser address bar
3. A research tool

It is number 3 that we all focus-in on so much. This third Google use is where SEO and long tail happen and where Instant will push people to do more in the search query bar. Google practically does your long tail searching for you with the 5 suggested search terms. Before Google thought for people I would argue that long tail search barely existed. Now that Google is thinking for people I will argue that the birth of long tail search has just begun.

P.S. It hasn't even been 24 hours since Google Instant was launched, so I'm reserving the right to reverse my opinion in time.

In regards to the original question: Is Google Instant going to kill Long Tail Search?

I've had some time to think this one over and discuss it with some of my coworkers. Yesterday, I tweeted "I bet Google Instant just injected long tail search with steroids." And I'm sticking by that statement. Anyone who uses Google Instant is encouraged to type searches out until the one they're after is the top result.

However....

There are three ways to use Google:

1. As a phone book for numbers and directions
2. As a replacement for a browser address bar
3. A research tool

It is number 3 that we all focus-in on so much. This third Google use is where SEO and long tail happen and where Instant will push people to do more in the search query bar. Google practically does your long tail searching for you with the 5 suggested search terms. Before Google thought for people I would argue that long tail search barely existed. Now that Google is thinking for people I will argue that the birth of long tail search has just begun.

P.S. It hasn't even been 24 hours since Google Instant was launched, so I'm reserving the right to reverse my opinion in time.
Nice analysis Alex. But (you just knew there was a "but" coming), it all depends on how long of a tail you desire. If I type "VW d" I'm rewarded with "VW dealers western ma" as the number one suggestion. Google did a great job anticipating my desire to find a VW dealer, localized me by my IP address and returned great, relevant results.

Now let's look at the dealers that have been striving to beat the Classified sites by optimizing for very long tail searches. If I type "Used 2007 VW j", my only suggestion is "Used 2007 VW jetta". Good so far, but it doesn't localize me. Not one organic result is a local dealer. The only way I'd show on this SERP is with a paid ad (which does localize). If I continue typing beyond
"Used 2007 VW jetta" there are no suggestions. I have to think lots of consumers will stop typing before the suggestions stop.

Now this is great for Google and for PPC folks. It makes PPC more important and will also drive up bids as there will be more demand. I think the losers might be the folks investing time, energy and money in trying to dominate these very long tail searches - and their paid "Gurus".

It seems to me the logical answer might be to stay away from the very long tail and do the best job possible at the "mid tail". In my example I want to show up high in "VW Dealers in Western Ma" and I'd stop putting resources into the long tail. I'd save some money on my SEO Guru, but maybe look at spending some more on PPC.

Just my thoughts and you are right, it's real early in a brand new game with all new rules!

Ed - your entire response is subjective to one simple definition. How do you define long tail searches? I have always been told it was more than 2 words. So if we're going to add "Mid-Tail" to the mix now, we're going to have to redefine this entire thread.

Now this is great for Google and for PPC folks. It makes PPC more important and will also drive up bids as there will be more demand. I think the losers might be the folks investing time, energy and money in trying to dominate these very long tail searches - and their paid "Gurus".

:iagree: 100% and will continue to preach CONTENT, CONTENT, CONTENT. You can't do Google's job for them - they're good at doing their job without your help. Just concentrate on content and you will be rewarded. Google is faith.

Ed - thanks for the comment on the Google Instant blog article. This particular quote from your post looks to make an argument for more long-tail searches:

Ed Brooks quoting an AdAge article on the DealerRefresh Blog said:
Google Instant Changes Game for Brands – At first blush, the real-time results appear to give more prominence to the web’s biggest brands. Google execs were quick to note that natural search results, and techniques companies use to land higher in Google search results, won’t change. But Johanna Wright, director of product management for Google Instant, said one difference is that they will direct users to “page two” results faster. “As you continue typing and narrowing your search, the instantly changing and refreshing results below the search box will be giving you more relevant results,” she said. “So if you previously looked on the second page, now those same results come to the top of the pile for you.”

Ed - your entire response is subjective to one simple definition. How do you define long tail searches? I have always been told it was more than 2 words. So if we're going to add "Mid-Tail" to the mix now, we're going to have to redefine this entire thread.

:iagree: 100% and will continue to preach CONTENT, CONTENT, CONTENT. You can't do Google's job for them - they're good at doing their job without your help. Just concentrate on content and you will be rewarded. Google is faith.
Alex, everything is relative, two words is absolutely more specific than one. But lately I've seen more and more dealers that believe they can turn Google into a "free" cars.com or ATC. They seem to feel that if they optimize for an extremely long tail they can eliminate the need to advertise on the big Classified sites. The SEO Gurus have been more than happy to fuel the idea and take the dealers' money at the same time. Have you noticed the same trend?

It's this very long tail, market-specific, make-specific, model-specific search that doesn't seem to show up in Google Instant suggestions. I've always questioned how many people actually do searches this specific, especially compared with the number of shoppers on the big Classified Sites. I have to think that number will drop even lower with Google Instant.

You are spot-on with Content, Content, Content. When dealers stop chasing the brass ring and start concentrating on the right inventory, bought right, priced right and advertised with compelling comments and great pictures, it's hard to lose!

Ed - thanks for the comment on the Google Instant blog article. This particular quote from your post looks to make an argument for more long-tail searches:

Again, I think dealers are in uncharted waters when it comes to Google as of the past 24 hours. Would I continue to optimize my site so my dealership shows up in make and market specific searches - Absolutely! Beyond that I think there are going to be dramatically diminishing returns.

I've seen more and more dealers that believe they can turn Google into a "free" cars.com or ATC. They seem to feel that if they optimize for an extremely long tail they can eliminate the need to advertise on the big Classified sites. The SEO Gurus have been more than happy to fuel the idea and take the dealers' money at the same time. Have you noticed the same trend?

Yes - absolutely. I was one of them until I started working for Dealer.com. Now that my perspective includes 2 countries instead of just 1 state I am seeing things much differently.

Again, I think dealers are in uncharted waters when it comes to Google as of the past 24 hours. Would I continue to optimize my site so my dealership shows up in make and market specific searches - Absolutely! Beyond that I think there are going to be dramatically diminishing returns.

Are dealers now in uncharted waters? I'd argue the last 12 years (when Google launched) have been nothing but uncharted waters. The scene changes way more often than it ever did before. Today, the norm is uncharted waters. Where my Magellan's at? :D

I am not as concerned with this as you guys are. I don't think you're wrong in being concerned - but I am of the mind set that we will adjust our content as we go. Words are pretty easy to change. We've had many many "improvements" to technology that we have adjusted to just fine, and I see no difference in this. As a web provider, we will be monitoring things closely and will adjust content as needed. Of course being prepared and aware is the key here. If you aren't paying attention and your page falls off the first page of search results for any amount of time it is not good. But if you have a good web provider they should be making the adjustments as needed right off the bat.

I hope to hear more about this from you as it goes forward - I am curious to see if anyone has any issues or if the transition is smooth.

I am not as concerned with this as you guys are. I don't think you're wrong in being concerned - but I am of the mind set that we will adjust our content as we go. Words are pretty easy to change. We've had many many "improvements" to technology that we have adjusted to just fine, and I see no difference in this. As a web provider, we will be monitoring things closely and will adjust content as needed. Of course being prepared and aware is the key here. If you aren't paying attention and your page falls off the first page of search results for any amount of time it is not good. But if you have a good web provider they should be making the adjustments as needed right off the bat.

I hope to hear more about this from you as it goes forward - I am curious to see if anyone has any issues or if the transition is smooth.

You wouldn't see any changes from this yet. It is just over 24 hours old now and it requires searchers to be signed into Google, so we're talking about a fraction of the total searches. It is still extremely early. But rest assured, you will hear more about it.