• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Does Your BDC Have Issues?

At least my dealer knows there wouldn't be buy-in and enforcement so we don't have any training.

He also knows I take full advantage of everything I learn and implement to the furthest of my ability and I'm very grateful for the education (DSES/DD) I've been able to attend.

I know..I know...Please use the links below for comments :banghead:

Jerry, this guy is telling you that he can't train, control and motivate people to do their jobs so he will just do it himself. That sounds like the classic example of a guy that is probably a pretty good salesperson but a poor manager.

I have also seen your scripts and it isn't too hard. I was at Sea World and they taught a fish to play basketball.

Reactions: 1 person
I think the lack of training in dealerships can be traced to a lack of many veterans' schooling when they were younger. I have a BA and when I first entered the car business on the floor some veterans and management would brag about making X amount of money without finishing high school or without ever going to college. There's nothing wrong with that but I think because they were able to become successful without any formal education/training, it's hard for them to see the value in it. Then there's me at the other end of the spectrum holding a teaching certificate so obviously I'm all about continuing education. Despite my best efforts on any initiative that costs money, if you can't show a direct ROI within a month it's out. I don't know how you do it Jerry, but hats off to you.

I hear ya Doug, sometimes the best players don't make the best coaches...

Reactions: 2 people
The average dealership is over-flowing with 3rd party leads that live a great distance away and these are the hardest in the business to convert. It takes a true professional to handle these calls and turn them into appointments. I am concerned about the amount of time that it takes to become great at handling internet leads. Scripts are great and a process is a must, but training this science is a tough business. From my perspective it is easy to blame the BDC manager and that is probably where the blame lies, but the fact of the matter is that appointments take cultivation in many cases.

I appreciate your point about the team not watching the videos and that is a disgrace. However, part of me sides with the manager. If that person in charge is worth their weight, the right person will make all the difference in the future life cycle of each lead. I have proven this several times in my business. The wrong guy with the wrong approach will kill you. We are dealing with narrow margins of victory with no payout for second place. Think about that. How much does the dealer make for being first runner-up?

Jerry, I know you have built a great training business. How long does it take for your videos to kick in and show results normally?

Jason

I think the lack of training in dealerships can be traced to a lack of many veterans' schooling when they were younger. I have a BA and when I first entered the car business on the floor some veterans and management would brag about making X amount of money without finishing high school or without ever going to college. There's nothing wrong with that but I think because they were able to become successful without any formal education/training, it's hard for them to see the value in it. Then there's me at the other end of the spectrum holding a teaching certificate so obviously I'm all about continuing education. Despite my best efforts on any initiative that costs money, if you can't show a direct ROI within a month it's out. I don't know how you do it Jerry, but hats off to you.

Bill, Do you have call tracking software? For dealerships that don't, get it installed and listen to a dozen calls. If you haven't pulled out your hair, you will be cursing your monitor. This isn't money leaking out, it's a flood.
If you are brave enough, see if you can get Jerry's crew shop your dealership.

When I worked in one of the larger dealerships in America, the staff had one rule about new people: Don't learn anyone's name for 6 months. They felt it simply wasn't worth it because the large majority wouldn't make it. I never understood why everyone wouldn't do everything thing possible to make their peers succesful in sales. Those same new guys that aren't strong are blowing your dealership's reputation and good name. Who wants that?

Bill, Do you have call tracking software? For dealerships that don't, get it installed and listen to a dozen calls. If you haven't pulled out your hair, you will be cursing your monitor. This isn't money leaking out, it's a flood.
If you are brave enough, see if you can get Jerry's crew shop your dealership.

We do have call tracking and it's an awesome tool. When things get a little slow I'll pull the reps over, we'll review the calls and talk about what was good and what could have been better. What's nice too is I sit right alongside my reps so we can address some issues as they happen. I'm not going to lie though, things aren't all rainbows and unicorns. For example I have a green rep here that has been pronouncing Chevrolet with a hard T at the end :)

I'm always up for any challenge/mystery shop though!

I think the lack of training in dealerships can be traced to a lack of many veterans' schooling when they were younger. I have a BA and when I first entered the car business on the floor some veterans and management would brag about making X amount of money without finishing high school or without ever going to college. There's nothing wrong with that but I think because they were able to become successful without any formal education/training, it's hard for them to see the value in it.

That is a great point I never considered before Bill. In some cases, there may even be a disdain for training.

Jerry, I know you have built a great training business. How long does it take for your videos to kick in and show results normally?

Jason

Jason,

Some people start improving in the first week. Others take months! Success starts with management holding the workers accountable.

Here's an example of a rep who nailed a perfect score on his very first phone call. They hired him and he immediately started training and here's the e-mail his GM sent.

5.0.jpg

Reactions: 1 person