• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Duplicate leads rock!

Vinsolutions has supposedly been developing a fix for this that looks at all of the duplicate leads as 1 unified opportunity to sell a car.

However, the update keeps getting delayed, year after year.

I was just notified by my VinSolutions rep about a minor change for dupe leads that allows the dealer the option of allowing the duplicate lead to update the VOI... something that could be good if the dupe appears after a period of time. We have a Chevy and a Nissan rooftop that we manage out of the same CRM and probably 40% of the OEM 3rd party leads we get will come with a Nissan and Chevy vehicle back to back. Simply updating the VOI isn't going to help a salesperson respond properly and may actually screw up OEM reporting on lead performance. I'd welcome a change that treats leads holistically and has conditional processes customized to "in market" signals rather that specific vehicle/model inquiries.

You are spot on with this post @Alex Snyder Years ago Dupes were a way to know your Customer was back in market without paying another Lead fee. That being said it now can provide a clearer understanding of the customer's digital journey. The amount of information that can be gleaned by breaking down those leads is incredible. At the end of it all, the more important question to understand is WHY is the client using the platforms they are? When and where are they completing their journey? If you speak to those questions in your interaction the odds of direct communication increase substantially. Vinsolutions did release the Dupe update setting to add any missing info or vehicle requests into the Active lead so THAT finally happened. Just FYI it does have to be enabled under Lead Settings.

Vin Solutions needs to mark the first lead as bad and let the freshest lead be the one that is worked. If they have been looking more since the first lead was sent in it shows that they are more likely to buy. EDIT: I just learned this week that I can make a special process in VinSolutions to to deal with these duplicate leads trigger tasks. Why I am just finding this out is beyond me!

Last edited:
Vin Solutions needs to mark the first lead as bad and let the freshest lead be the one that is worked. If they have been looking more since the first lead was sent in it shows that they are more likely to buy.
I disagree - that would make desking, and keeping track of notes much more of a pain. As it is, if you merge records, you are likely to lose any desked deals for that customer record.

If the system automatically were to dead oldest, and leave newest leads active - especially on the serial lead submitters - keeping track of deals and notes would be a nightmare.

Reactions: bryancarguy
If one were to build a Custom Status "Multiple Lead-Shopping Journey" then you could absolutely maintain the OEM communication, see the entirety of the changing landscape to better understand where the customer started and moved to, recall all previously desked deals, not have the same process start over on a seasoned shopper, and maybe offer a better shopping/buying experience... Or we could ask a Vendor for an upgrade that may or may not appear in our lifetimes. ;-)